Paging file problem

Old January 8th 07, 10:39 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
grizz

Default Paging file problem

My sons computer started getting this message when starting up. "Your System
has no paging file or the paging file is too small to fix problem blah,
blah." It doesn't matter where I set the size, whether it's system managed,
custom, what size custom, or what hard drive it's on, the same message
appears on every reboot. I have Googled the problem tried a solution by
Microsoft still same problem.
His system is a
HP m7640n
AMD X2 5000
2GB Ram
320 WD HD
I know this is a home-built newsgroup but any help would be appreciated.

grizz

Old January 8th 07, 11:14 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
VanShania

There sure are a lot of HP users having problems with their
computers(Judging from numerous posts here every day). Maybe everyone should
stop buying from them and instead buy from Falcon NorthWest or VooDoo.

--
Love and Teach, Not Yell and Beat
Stop Violence and Child Abuse.

A64 3500+, Gigabyte GA-K8NSC-939,AIW 9800 Pro 128mb
MSI 550 Pro, X-Fi, Pioneer 110D, 111D
Antec 550 watt,Thermaltake Lanfire,2 Gb OCZ Platinum 2-3-2-5
2XSATA 320gb Raid Edition, PATA 120Gb
XP MCE2005, 19in Viewsonic,BenchMark 2001 SE- 19074
Games I'm Playing- NFS: Most Wanted, Civ 4

Old January 9th 07, 01:58 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Bob Fry

"VS" == VanShania writes:

VS There sure are a lot of HP users having problems with their
VS computers(Judging from numerous posts here every day). Maybe
VS everyone should stop buying from them and instead buy from
VS Falcon NorthWest or VooDoo.

I've never been impressed with HP computers, going back to the 1980s.
Their bench equipment was good, their computers mediocre.
--
I've been around so long, I knew Doris Day before she was a virgin.
Groucho Marx
Old January 9th 07, 02:55 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Jeff

"grizz" wrote in message
. ..
My sons computer started getting this message when starting up. "Your
System has no paging file or the paging file is too small to fix problem
blah, blah." It doesn't matter where I set the size, whether it's system
managed, custom, what size custom, or what hard drive it's on, the same
message appears on every reboot. I have Googled the problem tried a
solution by Microsoft still same problem.
His system is a
HP m7640n
AMD X2 5000
2GB Ram
320 WD HD
I know this is a home-built newsgroup but any help would be appreciated.

grizz

Perhaps a stupid question on my part, but have you checked to make certain
that the boot partition actually has enough room to fit a page file? You
mentioned a 320 gig drive, but if it is partitioned so that there is only a
few gigs available on the boot (typically c) drive, you will get this
message after you fill up that partition (or the entire drive for that
matter) with junk. I seem to remember from past experience that windows will
allow you to set a page file that is larger than the space available for it
and that you will get this message should your drive fill up. I know that I
had a similar problem after not allocating enough space on my boot partition
due to not anticipating all of the security updates that came around over
the last few years. ...and is the pagefile actually on the disk? ...and if
you clear the error message are further problems evident?

Jeff

Old January 9th 07, 03:15 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Shepİ

On Mon, 8 Jan 2007 15:39:09 -0700 Too Much Ying and you will Pay With
Yang then "grizz" sent this :

My sons computer started getting this message when starting up. "Your System
has no paging file or the paging file is too small to fix problem blah,
blah." It doesn't matter where I set the size, whether it's system managed,
custom, what size custom, or what hard drive it's on, the same message
appears on every reboot. I have Googled the problem tried a solution by
Microsoft still same problem.
His system is a
HP m7640n
AMD X2 5000
2GB Ram
320 WD HD
I know this is a home-built newsgroup but any help would be appreciated.

grizz

The file may have become damaged.
Try this.
Boot to Safemode(F8 bootup)
and switch it off on all drives.
Re-boot to Safemode and re-enable it.

Use of Safemode is so that not too many user added programs get loaded
so less RAM should be used for the duration of this troubleshooting.
Note as well that you may have a program you load on bootup that is
causing the problem.

What anti-Virus are you running and anything like Norton's software?

--
Free Windows/PC help,
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...m?bandID=88558
Old January 9th 07, 04:14 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
grizz

"Jeff" wrote in message

"grizz" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Yea there is plenty of room. And the drive is partitioned into three and it
doesn't matter what partition it's placed on even an external doesn't work.

Old January 9th 07, 04:15 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
grizz

"Shepİ" wrote in message
[...]

He's running Avast for antivirus. In msconfig I uncheck all and rebooted no
luck

Old January 9th 07, 04:23 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Shepİ

On Mon, 8 Jan 2007 21:15:49 -0700 Too Much Ying and you will Pay With
Yang then "grizz" sent this :

"Shepİ" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Did you,

The file may have become damaged.
Try this.
Boot to Safemode(F8 bootup)
and switch it off on all drives.
Re-boot to Safemode and re-enable it.

and also disable the silly low disk space warning,
http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp/t1092681342

It can affect things.

Old January 9th 07, 09:16 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
jaster

On Mon, 08 Jan 2007 15:39:09 -0700, grizz thoughtfully wrote:

My sons computer started getting this message when starting up. "Your
System has no paging file or the paging file is too small to fix problem
blah, blah." It doesn't matter where I set the size, whether it's system
managed, custom, what size custom, or what hard drive it's on, the same
message appears on every reboot. I have Googled the problem tried a
solution by Microsoft still same problem.
His system is a
HP m7640n
AMD X2 5000
2GB Ram
320 WD HD
I know this is a home-built newsgroup but any help would be appreciated.

grizz

No. I had the same problem I think I finally just did the install,
repair.

You could try turning off system restore.
Boot to Safe Mode, login as Administrator, assign a pagefile size, save
and reboot.

Because of the install - repair I installed a different A-V. The new
found a virus the old one had missed. But I don't know the real cause of
the paging file block.

And I tried a bunch of stuff including importing and creating a new
c:/pagefile.sys

Old January 10th 07, 04:31 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
grizz

"grizz" wrote in message
. ..
My sons computer started getting this message when starting up. "Your
System has no paging file or the paging file is too small to fix problem
blah, blah." It doesn't matter where I set the size, whether it's system
managed, custom, what size custom, or what hard drive it's on, the same
message appears on every reboot. I have Googled the problem tried a
solution by Microsoft still same problem.
His system is a
HP m7640n
AMD X2 5000
2GB Ram
320 WD HD
I know this is a home-built newsgroup but any help would be appreciated.

grizz

Thanks for all the input. It start working out of the blue Winblows is
always a mystery to me.

Howard