Scythe Mine - CPU Cooler?

Old November 24th 06, 12:00 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Gerry_uk

Default Scythe Mine - CPU Cooler?

Hi,

What do people think of this cooler for Core2 E6800 in full tower ATX?

http://www.quietpc.com/gb-en-gbp/pro...elcooling/mine

Note the fan orientation.

There was an argument on here a few months back about CPU fan
orientation; most fans blow downwards onto the CPU (?), but Dell fans
and the Scythe Mine have the fan blowing _across_ the CPU.

Thoughts?

--
Gerry_uk
Old November 24th 06, 08:19 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Bob

Gerry_uk wrote:

Hi,

What do people think of this cooler for Core2 E6800 in full tower ATX?

http://www.quietpc.com/gb-en-gbp/pro...elcooling/mine

Note the fan orientation.

There was an argument on here a few months back about CPU fan
orientation; most fans blow downwards onto the CPU (?), but Dell fans
and the Scythe Mine have the fan blowing _across_ the CPU.

Thoughts?

The Mine may be a good choice if it fits your case. Do not worry about the
orientation of the fan. Case fans make a much greater difference.

This was my choice for a C2Duo 6700:

http://www.thermaltakeusa.com/produc...8/cl-p0268.asp

Old November 24th 06, 09:50 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Mitch Crane

Gerry_uk wrote in news:1164366106.4813.0
@proxy02.news.clara.net:

Hi,

What do people think of this cooler for Core2 E6800 in full tower ATX?

http://www.quietpc.com/gb-en-gbp/pro...elcooling/mine

Note the fan orientation.

There was an argument on here a few months back about CPU fan
orientation; most fans blow downwards onto the CPU (?), but Dell fans
and the Scythe Mine have the fan blowing _across_ the CPU.

Thoughts?

The orientation shouldn't be a problem.

I don't know much about that particular model, but the Scythe Ninja and
Infinity both get good reviews. I recently installed a Scythe Infinity on
my E6600 and my full load temps are now lower that what my idle temps
were using the stock cooler.

--
ybbxvatyvxrnobeantnvayvivatyvxrnurergvpyvfgravatgb neguheyrrerpbeqfznxv
atnyylbhesevraqfsrryfbthvyglnobhggurveplavpvfznaqg urerfgbsgurvetrareng
Old November 25th 06, 12:20 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Gerry_uk

Hi Bob,

Note the fan orientation.

The Mine may be a good choice if it fits your case.

OK.

This was my choice for a C2Duo 6700:

http://www.thermaltakeusa.com/produc...8/cl-p0268.asp

This looks interesting, it's like it's on stilts! What kind of core
temps do you get at idle and full load?

--
Gerry_uk
Old November 25th 06, 12:22 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Gerry_uk

Hi Mitch,

my E6600 and my full load temps are now lower that what my idle temps
were using the stock cooler.

What core temps do you get at idle and full load?

--
Gerry_uk
Old November 25th 06, 01:16 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Mitch Crane

Gerry_uk wrote in
:

Hi Mitch,

my E6600 and my full load temps are now lower that what my idle
temps were using the stock cooler.

What core temps do you get at idle and full load?

It's OCed @ 3.2GHz. I'm getting the temperature using Intel Thermal
Analysus Tool which reads much higher than Asus Probe 2. I ran Orthos
for 24 hours and it stayed around 50C. With the stock heatsink I
couldn't run Orthos for more than a few minutes without error, but at
3GHz it would stay at around 65C or a degree or two higher. Now it
idles in the high 30's to low 40's depending on room temperature (Asus
Probe says high 20's to low 30's). With the stock HSF it idled over
50C in TAT.

My vCore is set to 1.3750, but every utility I've tried shows 1.35v (I
haven't tried measuring it with a meter). Running @ 3.0GHz I used a
vCore setting of 1.3125 (higher vCore didn't help, which isn't
surprising since the cooler was so poor). So despite the higher vCore
and higher clock it runs much cooler using the Scythe Infinity.

This cooler is huge, however. Some people claim it's hard to install.
I don't find it difficult to install, at all. I did remove it once to
reorient it and it is difficult to uninstall inside my mid-tower case.

Regarding sound levels, it comes with a large low-speed fan which is
pretty quiet. The other fans in the case and PSU fan drown it out so
much that I can't even tell the difference if I shut the fan
completely off using SpeedFan.

BTW, turning the fan off doesn't even seem to have any affect on core
temps, probably because I have the side panel off of the case and the
Infinity is close enough to the PSU and rear case fans that it still
gets a lot of airflow.

Old November 25th 06, 03:46 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Gerry_uk

Hi Mitch,

Your experience is similar to mine. I originally thought the Core2 chips
would run cool "out of the box" (even under load) because of all the
talk about low power; this was not my experience with the E6800 although
to be fair it _does_ have a higher power rating then the others. I've
documented my notes he

http://www.xp20.dircon.co.uk/hardware/

It sounds like the Scythe is doing an excellent job on your system!

Mitch Crane wrote:
Gerry_uk wrote in
:

Hi Mitch,

Old November 25th 06, 06:40 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Mitch Crane

Gerry_uk wrote in
:

Hi Mitch,

Your experience is similar to mine. I originally thought the Core2
chips would run cool "out of the box" (even under load) because of
all the talk about low power; this was not my experience with the
E6800 although to be fair it _does_ have a higher power rating then
the others. I've documented my notes he

http://www.xp20.dircon.co.uk/hardware/

Having come from Athlon64, I wasn't all that impressed with how cool the
Conroe ran either. My 3200+ @ 2.5GHz is still running fine on the stock
cooler. But I'm not diappointed either. The Conroe is dual core and
clocked higher than that chip and is very fast. I guess people coming
from the high-end Prescott and Pentium D perspective would find these
things very cool running, though.

It sounds like the Scythe is doing an excellent job on your system!

Yes. I had hoped to make do with the OEM cooler as I did with the
Athlon64, and perhaps I could have at 3GHz, but I feel a lot better
knowing the CPU now has some headroom with regard to temperature.

--
ybbxvatyvxrnobeantnvayvivatyvxrnurergvpyvfgravatgb neguheyrrerpbeqfznxv
atnyylbhesevraqfsrryfbthvyglnobhggurveplavpvfznaqg urerfgbsgurvetrareng
vbaabgriragurtbireazragnertbaanfgbclbhabjohgnerlbh ernqlgborurnegoebxra

CPU cooler - Cooler Master CP5-6J31C Ancra Homebuilt PC's 0 January 7th 04 05:36 PM
Cooling Questions Peter Cavan General 35 September 2nd 03 06:42 AM
Cooling Questions Peter Cavan Overclocking 37 September 2nd 03 06:42 AM
Inexpensive CPU Cooler worth looking at. Skid Overclocking AMD Processors 0 August 22nd 03 04:27 PM
XP 1700+ (DLTC3 JIUHB) HOLY *HIT this thing is fast!!!...also, Aero 7+ cooler silenced!!! Q Overclocking AMD Processors 4 August 3rd 03 05:01 PM