Replaces power supply P3BF

Old November 13th 06, 09:27 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Martin L

Default Replaces power supply P3BF

Hi.
I just replaced the power supply in my old P3BF Asus motherboard

Now, when I start, I get an Hardware monitor found an error, press DEL to
enter setup and check monitor status.

In the voltages section, where it should be -5V it's -6.1V in red.

I tried another power supply and get the same error.

The computer runs fine however if I ignore this error but would like to know
why I get this.

Thanks

Old November 13th 06, 10:29 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
CBFalconer

Martin L wrote:

I just replaced the power supply in my old P3BF Asus motherboard

Now, when I start, I get an Hardware monitor found an error, press
DEL to enter setup and check monitor status.

In the voltages section, where it should be -5V it's -6.1V in red.

I tried another power supply and get the same error.

The computer runs fine however if I ignore this error but would
like to know why I get this.

Because the -5 line is unused, and thus unloaded.

http://cbfalconer.home.att.net

Old November 13th 06, 11:38 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
kony

On Mon, 13 Nov 2006 03:27:55 -0500, "Martin L"
wrote:

Hi.
I just replaced the power supply in my old P3BF Asus motherboard

Now, when I start, I get an Hardware monitor found an error, press DEL to
enter setup and check monitor status.

See if the board bios has an option to not halt on errors,
or only halt on selected errors instead of all of them.

In the voltages section, where it should be -5V it's -6.1V in red.

That's not a problem, most systems from the past decade or
so don't use -5V anymore so if the PSU doesnt' load that
rail internally, it may stray off the expected value but it
isnt' a problem per se.

I tried another power supply and get the same error.

The computer runs fine however if I ignore this error but would like to know
why I get this.

BIOS glitch, they didn't take into account that this -5V
might not be stable without anything using it. Some PSU
don't have this instable -5V rail but I wouldn't change the
PSU just to get one that doesn't, unless you can't disable
the BIOS setting, error message halting the system and find
it too annoying to keep pressing DEL to continue booting.
Old November 15th 06, 02:46 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
MrB

Don't know about the P3b, but had the same issue with a P4b and the bios
allowed not stopping for errors.

Old November 15th 06, 07:18 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Martin L

In fact, I have that option in the bios to ignore the error but was curious
to know why it happend.

Thanks