Do Acer Monitors have a bad reputation?

Old July 9th 05, 03:54 PM
Interesting Ian

Default Do Acer Monitors have a bad reputation?

Hi,

Do acer monitors have a bad reputation? I have just ordered this one here
at amazon uk (but can still cancel):

http://tinyurl.com/dmf7j

However someone on this forum

http://tinyurl.com/e4ym3

advised me that they are cheap rubbish and to avoid them.

I was just wondering if I should cancel, but this guy is the only person
I've found who's said anything negative about them. Any advice would be
much appreciated.

Old July 9th 05, 04:24 PM
Jan Alter

Do they?

Well if they do I must be lucky so far. In January we got a 19" LCD that
I'm working with right now. It's very nice. In February I ordered a 17" LCD
Acer for our operations manager at school. She's been thrilled with it. In
March I picked up another 17" Acer for another system I put together for a
teacher. He's been more than satisfied. And in April I got another 17" Acer
that I use with new systems that I put together. Bad rep? None of them had
any dead pixels either and I purchased them all from Newegg.com. I first
noticed them for the good price and 3 year warranty in addition to their
good specs. I've had my share of lousy products but I don't think I can rate
Acer LCDs as one of them.

--
Jan Alter

or

Old July 9th 05, 04:35 PM
Interesting Ian

"Jan Alter" wrote in message
Do they?

Well if they do I must be lucky so far. In January we got a 19" LCD that
I'm working with right now. It's very nice. In February I ordered a 17"
LCD Acer for our operations manager at school. She's been thrilled with
it. In March I picked up another 17" Acer for another system I put
together for a teacher. He's been more than satisfied. And in April I got
another 17" Acer that I use with new systems that I put together. Bad rep?
None of them had any dead pixels either and I purchased them all from
Newegg.com. I first noticed them for the good price and 3 year warranty in
addition to their good specs. I've had my share of lousy products but I
don't think I can rate Acer LCDs as one of them.

Yes, and all 20 customer reviews of this acer model that I ordered gave it 5
out of 5 and were all very enthusiastic. I just thought I'd better check
though since this guy said they have a bad reputation. If the vast majority
of people who have bought acer monitors are delighted with them, then that's
good enough for me! :-)

Old July 9th 05, 11:46 PM
T Shadow

"Jan Alter" wrote in message
[...]

I had a 15" Acer CRT that died in 2years and a CD drive that only lasted
just over a year. I hadn't planned on buying another Acer product but they
changed their name to BenQ. I think that says a lot about their reputation.
YMMV

Old July 10th 05, 06:47 AM
Ed Cregger

"Jan Alter" wrote in message
[...]

I bought two Acer AL1912 flat screen monitors last January and February.
They have been working impeccably. I bought these because of the excellent
performance of my three year old Acer CRT 17" monitor.

Acer products are still being sold under the Acer name.

Ed Cregger

Old July 10th 05, 08:10 AM
johns

There are two Acer companies ... one is fairly high level electronics
research
.... the other sells pure and total garbage. It is entirely possible
that at some
date they have decided to improve their products ... or that they are
selling
someone elses products. Personally, I have "attempted" to repair their
garbage,
and what I generally discover is that the product is so poorly designed
that it
is simply incompatible with other hardware ... that is their cdroms in
spades.
It might work. It might not. I would not touch it if they gave it to
me.

johns

Old July 10th 05, 08:25 AM
Ed Cregger

"johns" wrote in message
oups.com...
There are two Acer companies ... one is fairly high level electronics
research
... the other sells pure and total garbage. It is entirely possible
that at some
date they have decided to improve their products ... or that they are
selling
someone elses products. Personally, I have "attempted" to repair their
garbage,
and what I generally discover is that the product is so poorly designed
that it
is simply incompatible with other hardware ... that is their cdroms in
spades.
It might work. It might not. I would not touch it if they gave it to
me.

johns

Years ago, there were two Japanese CB radio manufacturers. One was named
President and the other Robyn.

Endless battles would develop on the air about which was the best and why. I
was an electronics technician in those days and my primary interest was
communications transceivers of all types.

Pulling the case/cover from a President and a Robyn simultaneously and
putting them side by side, it became apparent that both were made by the
same manufacturer, in the same factory, by the same people, with the same
designers. You could swap case components and they would fit the other
perfectly.

Looking at the circuit board, you could see without a doubt that they were,
indeed, the same circuit board. There were provisions for loading a
different set of components here and there, but, they were, alas, identical.

The next revelation in manufacturing came about when VCR's came upon the
scene. Debates and arguments over which brand was best were never ending. It
then became public knowledge that there were only three manufacturers of
VCR's in the entire world at that time. Again, negating the arguments of
superiority. Why? Because all used the same basic components.

Is China doing the same thing? I don't know. But I do know that I don't get
excited about brand names these days. Once you see the light, there is no
going back. Regardless of the brand, I am interested only in initial
reputation and warranty support. I do not anticipate that any of the new
electronic devices will last as long as my Robyn 520D CB set, which is still
working well after 27 years. The new stuff is throw-away. If it is out of
warranty, it goes to the recycle center. It isn't worth repairing anyway,
because chances are it won't even work with the latest operating system
being issued by Microsoft. Let's worry about something important. This isn't
it.

Ed Cregger

Old July 11th 05, 01:11 PM
T Shadow

"Ed Cregger" wrote in message
Regardless of the brand, I am interested only in initial
reputation and warranty support. I do not anticipate that any of the new
electronic devices will last as long as my Robyn 520D CB set, which is

still
working well after 27 years. The new stuff is throw-away. If it is out of
warranty, it goes to the recycle center. It isn't worth repairing anyway,
because chances are it won't even work with the latest operating system
being issued by Microsoft. Let's worry about something important. This

isn't
it.

Ed Cregger

Throwing my money away and creating land fill is not the way I do things. If
you can keep an old system together their are plenty of people who don't
kneed the latest. You don't need a P4 or XP to access the internet or use a
wordprocessor. Look back to American cars of the 1980s to see what happens
when people are willing to buy crap. If not for the Japanese by now we'd be
getting 30 day rust through guarantees. Your logic also guarantees ever
worsening crap.

Old July 11th 05, 03:36 PM
Ed Cregger

"T Shadow" wrote in message
news

"Ed Cregger" wrote in message
[...]

You know nothing of my logic, sonny.

And yes, to enjoy the internet to its fullest extent, you need a P4, or
equivalent, and XP and a hi-speed connection.

I can download songs and pictures quickly enough to make it entertaining.
Not putzing along with dial-up or an old operating system that is constantly
crashing in normal operation.

But you just go ahead and keep pretending that you are Captain Enviro, if
that pleases you.

Ed Cregger

Old July 11th 05, 09:13 PM
T Shadow

"Ed Cregger" wrote in message

"T Shadow" wrote in message
news

"Ed Cregger" wrote in message
[...]

Eeeeeeeeeeahant. Wrong again. P3-450 with W2K will do broadband while
watching TV on an AIW just fine. Don't take adspeak like "hi-speed
connection" seriously.
250million people create a lot of sh*t. If you think flushing the toilet is
enviro you live in a stinking world.
I'm through with this thread!