burnt out PCB on HDD

Old January 31st 07, 03:18 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Simon Brown

Default burnt out PCB on HDD

Hi folks,

HELP!
I've just had the misfortune to suffer a burn out on Maxtor 250Gb SATA
drive, on closer inspection it seems the 'smooth' chip has self combusted.

What are the chances of getting a replacement PCB for this drive, where
from, how much in £sterling approx?
Model 7y250m00612p
written on the pcb is - Calypso /PII /Therm
if that measn anything to anyone.

I understand that I should replace the pcb with the exact same version,
is that correct?

Advice and suggestions are very much welcomed on this matter.

Im in the UK
Regards
Simon

reply to address is valid minus the obvious
Old January 31st 07, 04:36 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Rod Speed

Simon Brown wrote

HELP!
I've just had the misfortune to suffer a burn out on Maxtor 250Gb SATA
drive, on closer inspection it seems the 'smooth' chip has self combusted.

What are the chances of getting a replacement PCB for this drive,

Excellent with at drive that recent.

where from,

Wherever you can buy another same model drive, obviously ebay or a retailler.

how much in £sterling approx?
Model 7y250m00612p
written on the pcb is - Calypso /PII /Therm
if that measn anything to anyone.

I understand that I should replace the pcb with the exact same version, is that correct?

Yes, tho if you cant find one of those, same model is better than nothing.

Old January 31st 07, 07:16 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
[email protected]

On Jan 30, 7:18 pm, Simon Brown wrote:
Hi folks,

HELP!
I've just had the misfortune to suffer a burn out on Maxtor 250Gb SATA
drive, on closer inspection it seems the 'smooth' chip has self combusted.

What are the chances of getting a replacement PCB for this drive, where
from, how much in £sterling approx?
Model 7y250m00612p
written on the pcb is - Calypso /PII /Therm
if that measn anything to anyone.

I understand that I should replace the pcb with the exact same version,
is that correct?

Advice and suggestions are very much welcomed on this matter.

Im in the UK
Regards
Simon

reply to address is valid minus the obvious

Your best bet is probably going to the same place you bought the first
one and see if they still have that same exact drive in stock. It's
hard to get a hold of just the circuit board, typically you end up
salvaging one.

Swapping the boards is about the limit of home brew data recovery. And
it voids the warranty on the drive.

Old January 31st 07, 09:28 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
[email protected]

If buy PCB, I can help you.

ABP Electronics Ltd concentrates on PCB manufacturing. We are devoted
to provide professional services and high quality PCB compliant with
RoHS requirement to overseas agents and distributors.

http://www.abp.net.cn/Bproductsservice.asp

Old January 31st 07, 03:21 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
kony

On Wed, 31 Jan 2007 03:18:29 +0000, Simon Brown
wrote:

Hi folks,

HELP!
I've just had the misfortune to suffer a burn out on Maxtor 250Gb SATA
drive, on closer inspection it seems the 'smooth' chip has self combusted.

What are the chances of getting a replacement PCB for this drive, where
from, how much in £sterling approx?
Model 7y250m00612p
written on the pcb is - Calypso /PII /Therm
if that measn anything to anyone.

Odds are good of getting a replacement, though I would first
see if it's under warranty as if it is, you might be able to
get Maxtor to send an advanced replacement drive that you
could swap the PCB off of... or even if it isn't
compatible, at least you still have the replacement drive to
use.

I understand that I should replace the pcb with the exact same version,
is that correct?

Ideally yes, a minor difference in PCB revision "Might"
work, but get the closest match you can.