US vendors?

Old February 23rd 04, 10:38 PM
Toby Groves

Default US vendors?

Little OT, but with the exchange rate the way it is atm, is it worth
considering buying direct from the US?

Anyone know a reputable online suppliers that will ship to the UK?
--
Toby
Old February 23rd 04, 10:53 PM
AK

"Toby Groves" wrote in message
Little OT, but with the exchange rate the way it is atm, is it

worth
considering buying direct from the US?

Anyone know a reputable online suppliers that will ship to the UK?
--

The exchange rate is good but don't forget you will have to add on
17.5% VAT plus 3% import duty, plus the customs handling charge of

Then there is the warranty...............what happens if something
goes wrong with it? The usual US warranty is 90 days, No point in
having an extended warranty as the shipping costs sending it back
would be prohibitive. What happens when it arrives broken??

Still think the exchange rate is so good it's worth the effort?

Old February 24th 04, 06:01 PM
RCT

Buy a cheap flight, lots available from smaller airports at present, and
could work out less than courier costs ;-)

But I would wait as by all accounts the rate will hit £1 = $2 next few
months...

Don't think there is a duty charge on IT equipment, just VAT...but all the
warranty issues and differences will be there...you pay yer fare, you takes
yer chance!

HTH

Euan.
RCT

Old February 24th 04, 11:16 PM
Toby Groves

In article , RCT rct@red-
cloud.co.uk writes
Buy a cheap flight, lots available from smaller airports at present, and
could work out less than courier costs ;-)

But I would wait as by all accounts the rate will hit £1 = $2 next few
months...

Don't think there is a duty charge on IT equipment, just VAT...but all the
warranty issues and differences will be there...you pay yer fare, you takes
yer chance!

So can anyone recommend a retailer that will ship here?
--
Toby
Old February 24th 04, 11:53 PM
AK

"Toby Groves" wrote in message
In article , RCT rct@red-
cloud.co.uk writes
Buy a cheap flight, lots available from smaller airports at

present, and
could work out less than courier costs ;-)

But I would wait as by all accounts the rate will hit £1 = $2 next

few
months...

Don't think there is a duty charge on IT equipment, just VAT...but

all the
warranty issues and differences will be there...you pay yer fare,

you takes
yer chance!

So can anyone recommend a retailer that will ship here?
--
Toby

Why don't you google then email a few?

Old February 25th 04, 08:14 PM
Toby Groves

In article , AK
writes
Why don't you google then email a few?

Cos I got fed up checking site after site trying to find out whether
they'd ship to the UK, so I decided to ask here where someone may
already know.
--
Toby
Old February 25th 04, 08:37 PM
AK

"Toby Groves" wrote in message
In article , AK

writes
Why don't you google then email a few?

Cos I got fed up checking site after site trying to find out

whether
they'd ship to the UK, so I decided to ask here where someone may
already know.
--
Toby

But did you email them and ask or just look at the site?

Old February 25th 04, 08:59 PM
Toby Groves

In article , AK
writes
But did you email them and ask or just look at the site?

I figured that, rather than wasting my time checking loads of websites
or emailing them to see if they'd ship here, I'd check here first to see
if anyone could recommend anywhere.

Do you have a problem with this or something?
--
Toby
Old February 25th 04, 09:41 PM
AK

"Toby Groves" wrote in message
In article , AK

writes
But did you email them and ask or just look at the site?

I figured that, rather than wasting my time checking loads of

websites
or emailing them to see if they'd ship here, I'd check here first

to see
if anyone could recommend anywhere.

Do you have a problem with this or something?
--
Toby

I bought an HP Jornada on holiday, bust a week after arrived home
and they didn't want to know because their warranty is only valid in
the US. If you do go ahead with it, check their warranty.

Old February 25th 04, 09:49 PM
Johannes H Andersen

Toby Groves wrote:

In article , AK
writes
But did you email them and ask or just look at the site?

I figured that, rather than wasting my time checking loads of websites
or emailing them to see if they'd ship here, I'd check here first to see
if anyone could recommend anywhere.

Do you have a problem with this or something?
--
Toby

Bought a special hard drive online for my laptop from US. Delivery was
fast and efficient. Although it is not possible to draw conclusion from
that, my impression is that standards are high due to a general respect
for consumer power and litigation.