Slightly off-topic: Tracking Files

Old July 1st 18, 08:16 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
NIl

Default Slightly off-topic: Tracking Files

On 01 Jul 2018, Paul wrote in
alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt:

Nil wrote:
I do! Three of then, in fact. I have no idea what they are or
what they do. I don't think I've ever used IE on this Win7-64
computer.

C:\Users\me!\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Tem porary Internet
Files\counters.dat

C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\AppData\L ocal\Microsoft\W
indows\Temporary Internet Files\counters.dat

C:\Windows\SysWOW64\config\systemprofile\AppData\L ocal\Microsoft\W
indows\Temporary Internet Files\counters.dat

Would those be for Internet Explorer ?

I checked the other machine, and it doesn't have those either.
(Searched with Agent Ransack on a Win10 install.) Mind you, I
don't use IE all that often.

I'm sure they're related to Internet Explorer somehow, since they live
in IE's temporary files directory. I also find them on my Win7-32
system. I do NOT find them on my XP or Win10 systems. Hmmmm...

I just fired up IE on this Win7-64 computer and I guess it's the first
time since I built the computer last December, because I got the prompt
asking me if I wanted IE use "recommended settings". I had an idea that
maybe COUNTERS.DAT had to do with running IE for the first time, but
the files are still there and their dates are still 12/12/2017.

I find other people asking on the web about what that file is. Nobody
seems to know. It seems to be difficult to delete.
Old July 1st 18, 08:35 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
s|b

On Sat, 30 Jun 2018 17:03:43 -0400, Bill wrote:

I use CCleaner everyday to purge my browsing history, etc.
It used to run faster. It takes quite a while to even remove
"counters.dat", whatever that is.

Maybe you should ask the people of Avast. After all, they've purchased
CCleaner not so long ago...

--
s|b
Old July 1st 18, 09:15 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

On Sun, 01 Jul 2018 15:16:23 -0400, Nil
wrote:

It seems to be difficult to delete.

Resistance is futile. Or, even for Microsoft, rather ironically,
General Public Licensing has GRUB pretty much written in bold Bull's
Eye lettering on the wall. (Excluding one of Windows 10's recent
patches which "broke" GRUB.)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compar...f_boot_loaders

NTFS then being somewhat a minor imposition for "static" maintenance.
"Ghosting", or imagining software capable of advanced editing within
its own images. Although few do among those that will well cost.

Operational VM system imaging and a 128M/Byte developer's platform
would be another interesting scenario.

Another is to zero it out, a null overwrite. A proviso of Microsoft
coding for looping validity and a prior state of counters.dat to
intermediary accountability -- in extremity the infamous "blue" or
other errant form of terminable screen.

As any type of CCleaner sort knows, among degrees of severity these
programs attempt, that results are not to be held accountable for data
loss, when a standard user assumes responsibility to contain their
system for events of failure.

Or, none of the above: Microsoft operates at "levels" of associative
permission permitted modular modifications. A core modular or highest
system-level being both impermissible and proprietary, if all but
inured (sic) by dint of US Copyright.

When 'difficulty' is another informality and hardly anything but
easier a second time up. (Unless perhaps a preclusion by another
formality, such as a scrutiny for Windows' "programs" given leeway by
code-writers of WINE.)
Old July 2nd 18, 01:48 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Bill[_39_]

Robert wrote:
Bill wrote in part:
Paul wrote:
To deal with Seamonkey I delete a few things manually.

I AM using Seamonkey too! Are there some things that aren't
getting deleted that you could tell me about? Maybe that's
where the process time is going....too much on "counters.dat"!

With any browser which stores lots of user-data, annually I
save a minimum of required data (bookmarks, contacts for those
who use them), then create a new blank user profile and use it.
This leaves a lot of cruft behind in the old profile. Hard to
pick out what to delete, just trash it all after the new is working.

-- Robert

I appreciate that tip! TYVM!

Bill

Old July 2nd 18, 01:57 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul[_28_]

Bill wrote:
Robert wrote:
Bill wrote in part:
Paul wrote:
To deal with Seamonkey I delete a few things manually.

I AM using Seamonkey too! Are there some things that aren't
getting deleted that you could tell me about? Maybe that's
where the process time is going....too much on "counters.dat"!

With any browser which stores lots of user-data, annually I
save a minimum of required data (bookmarks, contacts for those
who use them), then create a new blank user profile and use it.
This leaves a lot of cruft behind in the old profile. Hard to
pick out what to delete, just trash it all after the new is working.

-- Robert

I appreciate that tip! TYVM!

Bill

Most browsers have an "Export Bookmarks".

That's the bit worth saving.

In some browsers, the option is buried three
layers deep, as if they don't want you to know
the option is available.

This converts proprietary formats such as
..jsonlz4 or some binary database format,
into something you can use for "import" later.

This should be done before making significant
changes to the browser and trashing the
possibility of Export.

Paul
Old July 2nd 18, 02:47 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Bill[_39_]

Paul wrote:
Bill wrote:
Robert wrote:
Bill wrote in part:
Paul wrote:
To deal with Seamonkey I delete a few things manually.

I AM using Seamonkey too!Â* Are there some things that aren't
getting deleted that you could tell me about?Â* Maybe that's
where the process time is going....too much on "counters.dat"!

With any browser which stores lots of user-data, annually I
save a minimum of required data (bookmarks, contacts for those
who use them), then create a new blank user profile and use it.
This leaves a lot of cruft behind in the old profile.Â* Hard to
pick out what to delete, just trash it all after the new is
working.

-- Robert

I appreciate that tip!Â* TYVM!

Bill

Most browsers have an "Export Bookmarks".

That's the bit worth saving.

In some browsers, the option is buried three
layers deep, as if they don't want you to know
the option is available.

This converts proprietary formats such as
.jsonlz4 or some binary database format,
into something you can use for "import" later.

This should be done before making significant
changes to the browser and trashing the
possibility of Export.

Â*Â* Paul

Thanks again. I was wondering how I was going to relocate the
bookmarks!

BTW, I just tried to delete my 2 files, counters.dat--and I
couldn't even do it as administrator (I received the message "in
use by explorer.exe").
I think that's at the crux of why CCleaner is running slower for
me--everytime it runs, it tries, and fails, to delete these files.

Bill

Old July 2nd 18, 03:19 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul[_28_]

Bill wrote:
Paul wrote:
Bill wrote:
Robert wrote:
Bill wrote in part:
Paul wrote:
[...]

Does Task Manager show any iexplorer.exe tasks ?

Don't forget to turn on the "full details", as the
initial appearance of the thing is rather limited
in what it presents.

Paul
Old July 2nd 18, 05:11 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Bill[_39_]

Paul wrote:
Bill wrote:
Paul wrote:
Bill wrote:
Robert wrote:
Bill wrote in part:
Paul wrote:
[...]

Â*Â*Â* Paul

Thanks again.Â* I was wondering how I was going to relocate the
bookmarks!

BTW, I just tried to delete my 2 files, counters.dat--and I
couldn't even do it as administrator (I received the message
"in use by explorer.exe").
I think that's at the crux of why CCleaner is running slower
for me--everytime it runs, it tries, and fails, to delete these
files.

Bill

Does Task Manager show any iexplorer.exe tasks ?

No, but it does show a/the explorer.exe process. Its description
on the right says "Windows Explorer". I think this is not
closely related to internet explorer, but I could be mistaken. I
don't run Internet Explorer unless a web site "forces me" to.

Bill

Old July 2nd 18, 05:23 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul[_28_]

Bill wrote:
Paul wrote:
Bill wrote:
Paul wrote:
Bill wrote:
Robert wrote:
Bill wrote in part:
Paul wrote:
[...]

Internet Explorer is likely "iexplore.exe" or so.

Whereas "explorer.exe" would be the desktop. It's more
than just a file manager window, as it decorates stuff too.

In Windows 10, the desktop is "dwm.exe" as near as I can
figure out. And not everything ending in .exe on Windows
10 is an actual PE32 or PE32+ application either. There
are some tricky ones made with alternative methods
(HTML/JS). By comparison, the older OSes were easier
to figure out.

Paul
Old July 2nd 18, 08:36 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

On Mon, 2 Jul 2018 00:11:50 -0400, Bill wrote:

No, but it does show a/the explorer.exe process. Its description
on the right says "Windows Explorer". I think this is not
closely related to internet explorer, but I could be mistaken. I
don't run Internet Explorer unless a web site "forces me" to.

Might like a look at Process Lasso
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Process_Lasso

Once a mainstay, unfortunately no longer freeware, although it can be
had for nothing, upon occasion I notice others say, when offered free
for some incentive, possibly through an email registration exchange
thing.

I've an older version, perhaps not now available for self apparent
reasons, when programmers want hard money.

Running programs, although similarly identifiable within a Windows'
counterpart program style resource monitor, have slowed down my
computer without a usual indicative from apparent resource draw. Once
I forcibly terminated them the operating system resumed to normal
status and function. Where PL does it's thing, is that rules can be
specifically defined for particular instances of programming modules -
PIDs - such as stopping, terminating them, throttling priorities,
restricted utilization and such.

Not that you shouldn't be able to trouble-shoot from Windows'
provisions for side-processes, knowing first how and what you're using
to delete files isn't the culprit -- at anything less than as it
effectively should be -- for an instantaneous erasure.

Stuttering all over sectors can be Bad News anytime, especially on a
disk if indicative of a possibly bad or failure-prone HDD headed
southbound. A fully-stuffed and fragmented drive, conceivably with
its files busted up and all over hell, although I've never run with a
likes, so they say, will also evidence "thrashing" in a bad way.