Backup Options Tape vs Online, Opinions wanted.

Old April 18th 06, 10:37 PM posted to comp.arch.storage

Default Backup Options Tape vs Online, Opinions wanted.

Hello Everyone,

I am currently looking at 2 options for backup, I am currently backing
up aroudn 50Gb per night with 2 DDS4 tapes across 3 windows 2000
Servers using Backup Exec. Two tapes for each day of the month. Any
one tape is only used once a month. We use SQL and have an Exchange
Server.

1) Option one is an online backup were they do incremental backups and
hold 10 versions.

2) HP 448 LTO-2 Tape unit using a different tape each day of the
month (Tapes numbered 1-31). The software would be Back-Up Exec 10d,
and it would be connected using an Adaptec 19160 SCSI Controller. Tape
taken offsite each night.

What is the better option, the costs are similar, one monthly, one up
front.

Thank you for your help.

Darren

Old April 19th 06, 07:04 AM posted to comp.arch.storage

"ddecoste" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hello Everyone,

I am currently looking at 2 options for backup, I am currently backing
up aroudn 50Gb per night with 2 DDS4 tapes across 3 windows 2000
Servers using Backup Exec. Two tapes for each day of the month. Any
one tape is only used once a month. We use SQL and have an Exchange
Server.

1) Option one is an online backup were they do incremental backups and
hold 10 versions.

2) HP 448 LTO-2 Tape unit using a different tape each day of the
month (Tapes numbered 1-31). The software would be Back-Up Exec 10d,
and it would be connected using an Adaptec 19160 SCSI Controller. Tape
taken offsite each night.

What is the better option, the costs are similar, one monthly, one up
front.

Thank you for your help.

Darren

My biggest concern with on-line backup is that you do not have control over
the procedures that the provider uses. Make sure you get a thorough Service
Level Agreement with them, which includes free test restores. Also have them
explain how their 'exit strategy' works. In other words, once you have 10 TB
of *your* data in their system, how are you gonna get it out if you want to
switch to another provider or move away from them for some other reason.
Also consider what needs to happen when the provider goes belly-up, gets
bought by your competitor, etc.

Rob

Old April 19th 06, 02:06 PM posted to comp.arch.storage

Rob,

Thank you for the reply. The control is also one of my main concerns.
The online backup company is a local one that I have dealt with for
over 10 years but the online backup service is one that they just
started to provide. I am fairly certain that we will be going with
the tape unit, that way it gives us alot of room to grow. Then replace
the tapes every 3 years (about 30 uses each, since we only backup M-F).
Maybe then do a test restore of some data every month. I may also
copy a backup of our SQL data every night to a Flash drive also, since
they are so cheap.

Thank you for your help, all opinions are greatly welcomed.

Darren