Combine/merge multiple print jobs into one print job freeware?

Old May 10th 18, 09:33 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers,alt.comp.freeware
mike

Default Combine/merge multiple print jobs into one print job freeware?

Brother MFC-L2700DW

Can print multiple pages per page
and double sided.
Windows 7 and 10

I want to print multiple documents from multiple
applications in ONE job
so I can use the printer driver ability to print
multiple pages per page on both sides of the paper.

Looks like PDFFactory might do what I want, but it's
not freeware.

Alternatives?

Old May 10th 18, 12:41 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers,alt.comp.freeware
Computer Nerd Kev

In comp.periphs.printers mike wrote:

I want to print multiple documents from multiple
applications in ONE job
so I can use the printer driver ability to print
multiple pages per page on both sides of the paper.

Looks like PDFFactory might do what I want, but it's
not freeware.

Alternatives?

You can merge PDFs with Ghostscript from the command line. eg.
http://www.rgagnon.com/gp/gp-0015.html

--
__ __
#_ |\| | _#
Old May 10th 18, 01:11 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers,alt.comp.freeware
Keith Nuttle

On 5/10/2018 4:33 AM, mike wrote:
Brother MFC-L2700DW

Can print multiple pages per page
and double sided.
Windows 7 and 10

I want to print multiple documents from multiple
applications in ONE job
so I can use the printer driver ability to print
multiple pages per page on both sides of the paper.

Looks like PDFFactory might do what I want, but it's
not freeware.

Alternatives?

In my mind it is not clear exactly what you want to do. IF you want to
print to paper it will depend on your printer and the software you are
using to do the printing.

IF the printer allows it, printing on the front and back is a change in
the printer settings.

IF the software allows the printing of the odd number pages and then the
even number pages, then you can first print the odd pages, turn the
printed pages over and print the even number pages on the back. This
takes a little thought to orient the odd number pages into the printer
so the even number pages are oriented properly on the back.

IF you are trying to create a PDF document, then you need a PDF printer
like SourceForge's PDFCreator. This allows you to print from multiple
sources, then combine them and save all of the pages as one document.
NOTE: The current version is 3.2.0 but I use version 1.7.3 as for my
purposes it works better.

Current version
http://www.pdfforge.org/pdfcreator/download

Version 1.7.3

"http://azure.download.pdfforge.org/pdfcreator/1.7.3/PDFCreator-1_7_3_setup.exe3.3k"
"http://olive.download.pdfforge.org/pdfcreator/1.7.3/PDFCreator-1_7_3_setup.exe423"
"http://blue.download.pdfforge.org/pdfcreator/1.7.3/PDFCreator-1_7_3_setup.exe227"
"http://white.download.pdfforge.org/pdfcreator/1.7.3/PDFCreator-1_7_3_setup.exe549"

--
2018: The year we learn to play the great game of Euchre
Old May 10th 18, 11:32 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers,alt.comp.freeware
mike

On 5/10/2018 5:11 AM, Keith Nuttle wrote:
On 5/10/2018 4:33 AM, mike wrote:
Brother MFC-L2700DW

Can print multiple pages per page
and double sided.
Windows 7 and 10

I want to print multiple documents from multiple
applications in ONE job
so I can use the printer driver ability to print
multiple pages per page on both sides of the paper.

Looks like PDFFactory might do what I want, but it's
not freeware.

Alternatives?

In my mind it is not clear exactly what you want to do. IF you want to
print to paper it will depend on your printer and the software you are
using to do the printing.

And that software is what I seek.

The stock printer driver can print multiple pages onto one physical page
and both sides of that page. That's understood. Problem is that
if you print a two page job and another two page job, you get
four pages of output printed on no less than two sheets of paper.
I'd like those four pages to be scaled and printed onto one side of one
sheet. The stock printer driver can do that if it's one job.

The optimal solution would be to print ONE job using the printer driver
to scale and
format the pages onto sheets of paper.

The original data would be loaded into any application that can
accept the data format and printed as one page per sheet.
Multiple sequential instances would concatenate those intercepted print jobs
into one file that the printer driver would interpret as one job.
At the end, the job would be sent to the printer and repaginated
per the printer driver settings.

IF the printer allows it, printing on the front and back is a change in
the printer settings.

as stated above.

IF the software allows the printing of the odd number pages and then the
even number pages, then you can first print the odd pages, turn the
printed pages over and print the even number pages on the back. This
takes a little thought to orient the odd number pages into the printer
so the even number pages are oriented properly on the back.

It's a real PITA. And a paper jam trashes the whole process.
I don't want to handle the paper at all. That's why I bought a duplex
printer.

IF you are trying to create a PDF document, then you need a PDF printer
like SourceForge's PDFCreator. This allows you to print from multiple
sources, then combine them and save all of the pages as one document.
NOTE: The current version is 3.2.0 but I use version 1.7.3 as for my
purposes it works better.

I don't really want a pdf document, but if that is easy to create and
lets me get the printout, that's OK.

Can you describe what works better on the older version?

Quick look at the vendor page suggests that PDF Architect is required
to merge files??

Current version
http://www.pdfforge.org/pdfcreator/download

I'll check it out. Thanks.

Old May 11th 18, 05:30 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers,alt.comp.freeware
mike

On 5/10/2018 4:33 AM, mike wrote:
[...]

I installed PDFArchitect because it said it could merge.
And merge it does, so I'm a happy camper on that front.

I'm disappointed that it can't do anything else I've tried without
sending me off to buy the function. And it's huge and bloated with
stuff that won't work...but it does merge files like I need.

Still haven't been able to get the win10 Brother printer driver to print
duplex from win10.
The duplex checkboxes are there, but greyed out...except when I use a
different
program, the print dialog reverts to the inbuilt windows screen instead
of the installed Brother printer driver. Looks like a windows 10 issue.

So, at this point, I can merge pdf files on win10 and print the result
duplex with win7. It's always something.

I got what I needed, thanks, mike

Old May 11th 18, 05:58 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers,alt.comp.freeware
B. R. 'BeAr' Ederson

On Thu, 10 May 2018 21:30:19 -0700, mike wrote:

I installed PDFArchitect because it said it could merge.
And merge it does, so I'm a happy camper on that front.

Although FreePdf (requires Ghostscript) is abandoned since last year, it
still is available and works well on every Windows system I tried it on:

http://freepdfxp.de/index_en.html

It supports merge during printing, but also has a separate Join tool
for later merging of already created pdf files.

If you go the latter way, PdfTkBuilder (requires PdfTk) is much more
sophisticated, because it can also merge selected pages from pdf files.
You also can do this directly from command line while using PdfTk.

http://angusj.com/pdftkb
https://www.pdflabs.com/tools/pdftk-the-pdf-toolkit

(F-Up set to acf. - This discussion digresses from printer peripherals.)

HTH.
BeAr
= What do you mean with: "Perfection is always an illusion"? =