New ATI Radeon drivers cause windows screens (XP, 2K and ME) to go blank after boot on Compaq EVO N600C laptop

Old April 20th 04, 02:49 AM
Charles Waters

Default New ATI Radeon drivers cause windows screens (XP, 2K and ME) to go blank after boot on Compaq EVO N600C laptop

Okay, this is weird. I don't know if my kids did something or what.
Suddenly, whenever windows goes into graphics mode, the screen goes
completely blank. Let me describe the scenarios......

I couldn't figure out why the display would go completely blank, so I
reloaded the OS (Windows XP). The graphical portion of the load works fine
as does the generic VGA mode. After the boot, I can see the 640X480X16 color
screen. After I download and load the latest ATI Radeon drives from the
Compaq web page, the system reboots. After the reboot, I see the text
portion of the boot, then I see the Windows XP logo with the little bar
below it that shows the progress of the OS load, then blank. It's completely
blank, like all power is being removed from the display, no back light, no
nothing. The PC is still operating. I can hear sounds, just no display.

So, I tried loading Windows 2000 Pro, same problem.

Then I loaded Windows ME, same problem.

I loaded a few versions of Linux and they all work! So I know that the
display is functional.

I tried toggeling the Function F4 sequence which changes display output to
the video-out connectors, but this had no effect.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Old April 20th 04, 06:30 AM
JAD

Definitely a driver install problem. As the PC boots it is using the
basic I/O from the bios, after the logo and a few seconds the drivers
for windows loads. Try booting to 'safe mode' and check the device
manager for problems.

om...

Old April 20th 04, 10:20 AM
Tom Scales

I have the same exact problem on my Thinkpad X31. I just went back to the
earlier drivers and it works fine.

Tom
"Joachim Trensz" wrote in message
Hi Charles,

am I understanding correctly that you installed these new drivers in
WinXP, Win2000 and WinME (which requires a different driver package),
but the effect was the same in all three OS?

If that is so I'd say it's something in your video card's or mobo's BIOS
not being compatible with the new drivers. Maybe try disabling
Fastwrites and Sideband Adressing, change the size of your AGP window to
a different value from what it is set to now, and set the AGP speed to
AGPx4 or x2 to see if that helps.

If it were my machine, I'd probably also try a mobo or video card BIOS
update.

Achim

Old April 20th 04, 12:09 PM
Julian Richards

On Tue, 20 Apr 2004 05:20:57 -0400, "Tom Scales"
wrote:

I have the same exact problem on my Thinkpad X31. I just went back to the
earlier drivers and it works fine.

Tom
"Joachim Trensz" wrote in message
Hi Charles,

am I understanding correctly that you installed these new drivers in
WinXP, Win2000 and WinME (which requires a different driver package),
but the effect was the same in all three OS?

If that is so I'd say it's something in your video card's or mobo's BIOS
not being compatible with the new drivers. Maybe try disabling
Fastwrites and Sideband Adressing, change the size of your AGP window to
a different value from what it is set to now, and set the AGP speed to
AGPx4 or x2 to see if that helps.

If it were my machine, I'd probably also try a mobo or video card BIOS
update.

ATI cards that are nonXT should always have fastwrite disabled. My
other possible help (again) is to try Omega drivers instead of the ATI
ones.
--

Julian Richards
computer "at" richardsuk.f9.co.uk

XP Home
L7S7A2 motherboard
Powercolor 9800 SE 8 pipelines with Omega drivers
1 GB RAM
10 GB + 80 GB HDs
CD+DVD/CDRW drives
Old April 20th 04, 01:13 PM
Charles Waters

Thanks for the advice guys. Unfortunetly, the Compaq BIOS gives very few
options. In fact, the only options that effect video are making the onboard
video the primary or secondary controller.

I've burned the latest BIOS with no luck and I've reset the BIOS repeatedly.
For some reason, I think that after Windows boots, there must be some
hardware register on the machine that is turning off LCD output and enabling
the external video output. I'm trying to find a way to change that setting
in hardware, if I can find it!

I'll keep trying and post the resolution when I figure it out.

By the way, ATI doesn't make drivers for it's Mobility series of video
chipsets available on its web page. You are forced to download the drivers
from the vendor that made the laptop.

link.net...

Old April 20th 04, 03:24 PM
Bratboy

is your system using a flatscreen (LCD)? I know some ppl had/have problems
with their monitor going into pwrsave on boot. Fortunatly so far not had the
issue here. Anyway if it is a flat screen some say they pwr off the monitor
bootup then pwr on the monitor with sucess
Just Jess

Old April 20th 04, 06:43 PM
Charles Waters

Okay, what could this mean?

The Fn-F4 key doesn't work, at all. I have discovered that the VGA out works
great, but that's all that works. When I hit Fn-F4, the external display
will flicker, but not change. Furthermore, under the hardware list, I show 3
'standard displays'. The LCD doesn't appear on the list. Too weird.

So, LCD display works for text and the initial VGA only graphics modes for
OS installation, but goes out to the external display only, after loading
the ATI Radeon Mobility drivers provided by Compaq.

Bummer!

Old April 20th 04, 07:35 PM
Charles Waters

Problem Solved.

Okay, I hope this can help someone in the future. There is a weird key
sequence that works for most Compaq's (as I understand it) that worked for
my Evo N600C.

Remove the battery and the AC power from the laptop.
While holding the FN key down, insert the AC power and immedietly start
tapping the F11 key. I had to hit it about 15 times. At some point, the
laptop will power up and apparently, some hard BIOS reset occurs. This seems
to be a much more through reset then the "Restore Defaults" is in the BIOS
settings.

After doing this, the laptop display started working again and a few other
devices popped up in my device list.

Is that weird or what?

Thanks for everyones help.

Old April 21st 04, 08:32 AM
johns

Okay, this is weird. I don't know if my kids did something or what.

Sure is weird. Why are you screwing around so much? You
are loading ATI drivers on a LAPTOP ?? For what? Laptops
don't use standard video card drivers. For pete's sake reimage
the thing and be done with it. I get called on site, and I find
stuff like this all the time. Holy Cat! I just give up when I see
this. I know that fixing it is not going to stop the kludging, and
I'm going to get called back a dozen times until I blow my top
and tell the user to stop it ! For heavens sake call a tech, and
quit fooling around.

johns

Old April 21st 04, 01:56 PM
Asestar

By the way, ATI doesn't make drivers for it's Mobility series of video
chipsets available on its web page. You are forced to download the drivers
from the vendor that made the laptop.

Ati does make the mobility chips, but many system makers, lke Sony, Toshiba
and IBM are known to modify it in some ways, so that standard ati drivers
doesn't work.

However, in most cases, you can get ATI catalyst to work on your mobility
card. Just download a little tool called "mobility modder" from
driverheaven.com and it will do the rest.

You can also try Omega Drivers, they work with most mobility chips available
on market.