ATI 9500 Pro freezes and random reboots :-(((

Old June 28th 03, 01:23 AM
MarkOpolis

Default ATI 9500 Pro freezes and random reboots :-(((

Hello everyone,

My computer tends to freeze and reboot very randomly, not especially during
high loads, nor heavy games; totally out of the blue, as I am working on it
or not...

Sometimes, it reboots as if it has been reseted, randomly after Blue Screen
Of Death with an error message that closes too fast I can not read.
Sometimes it freezes and I have to power it off manually. Some other times,
the screens freezes for 1 minute, then Windows warns it has repaired a
faulty hardware, and the screen resolution is set to 640x480 4bit color...

Does anyone know where does it come from? Radeon? DDR? Motherboard? ... Is
there any solution?

My system is as follows:

Gigabyte GA-8IK100 (i875P) - F6 BIOS default fail-safe settings
Intel Pentium 2.4C (2.4GHz FSB800 Hyper-Threading enabled) - runs at 40-45°C
with Intel box cooler
2*256Mo PC3200 WinBond DDR Cas 2.5 - runs at dual channel (default settings)
ATI Radeon 9500Pro 128Mo AGP8x - fastwrites enabled (aperture size = 128)
IBM 120Go HD 7200 8Mo cache (180GXP series) - IDE 0
Creative Soundblaster SBLive 5.1 - PCI slot
Antec SLK2600AMB enclosure - 300W SmartPower ATX12V
LiteOn LTR52246S CDRW - IDE 1
Ricoh MP 9060A Combo DVD-CDRW - IDE 0
MS Internet Keyboard - PS2 port
Logitech Wheelmouse optical - USB port
Thomson-Alcatel Speedtouch 330 ADSL modem - USB port
HP 930C inkjet printer - USB port

Windows XP SP1 - with every other available updates installed
ATI Catalyst 3.5 driver
Norton Internet Security Pro 2003
MS Office XP

Thanx in advance for your help...

M.

Old June 28th 03, 04:00 AM
Troy

My first thought is possibly a bad power supply, as my system had similar
problems until I swapped out power supplies. If I were you I would try
reinstalling your hardware drivers first, then if that don't work try a new
power supply. As heavily loaded as your system is, I would look into a
quality 350-400W supply. Antec is not bad for the money but I have heard
that their 300W supplies has had problems when heavily loaded.

good luck...

T-Roy

Old June 29th 03, 01:23 AM
nick

On Fri, 27 Jun 2003 23:00:40 -0400, Troy wrote:

[...]

Could also be the memory, the 875p chipset puts a lot of stress on the
memory. See if you can completely disable PAT and any other optimizations
in the BIOS. Also disable hyperthreading and see if is more stable.

Also download memtest86 and put it on a boot disk, run it through a
through test.

Last, a 300W power supply probably isnt going to be adequate with what you
are running. Try upgrading to 400W