SCSI Card problems with P4C800-E

Old February 23rd 04, 10:43 PM
No Spam

Default SCSI Card problems with P4C800-E

Hello,

I have a bit of a problem trying to boot from my SCSI optical drives (1 X
DVDRom and 1 X CDRW drive). I recently purchased a P4C800-E board. On it,
I have installed one 80gig Ultra ATA drive and one 120gig SATA drive. I
have also installed an Adaptec AHA-2940UW SCSI card for the aforementioned
optical drives.

I am trying to install WinXP by booting from the SCSI DVDRom drive. In the
motherboard's bios there does not appear to be an option to boot from SCSI
devices. In the SCSI card's bios, I have left most of the settings at the
default except for the SCSI ID target setting of the DVDRom (ID2). During
the boot process, the SCSI card is recognised as well as the attached
devices, however,at the end of the scroll a message appears that says that
there SCSI bios is not installed!

I've checked terminatiob settings on the last device on the SCSI cable and
also ensured that the termination on the card is enabled. I have also
checked that the card's bios is enabled on the card. I am thinking that the
problem is in the P4C800-E's bios but I am at a loss to find the cause.

Anyone got some suggestions?

Thankyou,

Shane

Old February 24th 04, 06:05 AM
no spam

I don't think XP is the problem. This all happens at the boot up before any
OS is installed. The Adaptec's SCSISelect seems to identify the 2940UW
and the two optical drives and also lists there SCSI IDs etc. However, at
the end of the scrolling, something like this appears:

"The boot sections on your bootable CD-ROM a
0: Default Entry
No SCSI Boot Device Found
BIOS Not installed."

I have also tried another SCSI UW card (IWill with an Advansys chipset).

Any further help on this would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Shane

"M.L" wrote in message
Do you have XP ?

I had problems with a 2940 and XP (working fine on millenium)

Was solved by using a Tekram 395 with the chip flashable (worked only

after flashing)

Mike

Old February 24th 04, 08:46 AM
no spam

On the 'Boot' menu in the latest bios of the P4C800-E, the 'Boot Device
Priority' menu does not list SCSI as an option.

Shane

u...

Old February 24th 04, 08:53 AM
Michael W. Ryder

no spam wrote:
I don't think XP is the problem. This all happens at the boot up before any
OS is installed. The Adaptec's SCSISelect seems to identify the 2940UW
and the two optical drives and also lists there SCSI IDs etc. However, at
the end of the scrolling, something like this appears:

"The boot sections on your bootable CD-ROM a
0: Default Entry
No SCSI Boot Device Found
BIOS Not installed."

Have you made sure that the Boot SCSI ID is set to the address of the
CD-ROM that you want to boot from and that support for bootable CD-ROMs
is enabled? By default the boot ID is set to 0 and the support for the
CD-ROMs is enabled.
Unless the card finds a bootable device it will not load the BIOS.

Old February 24th 04, 09:54 AM
Paul

In article , "no spam"
wrote:

I don't think XP is the problem. This all happens at the boot up before any
OS is installed. The Adaptec's SCSISelect seems to identify the 2940UW
and the two optical drives and also lists there SCSI IDs etc. However, at
the end of the scrolling, something like this appears:

"The boot sections on your bootable CD-ROM a
0: Default Entry
No SCSI Boot Device Found
BIOS Not installed."

I have also tried another SCSI UW card (IWill with an Advansys chipset).

Any further help on this would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Shane

What happens if all disks are disconnected, except for your SCSI
controller and its optical drives ? Does the SCSI BIOS work then ?

If it does work, add the other devices back one at a time, until
you find which one upsets things.

HTH,
Paul

Old February 24th 04, 04:11 PM
no spam

I updated the AHA-2940UW's bios to version 2.20. The result was that the
bios was recognised and installed however, I still could not boot from the
XP CD in the SCSI DVDRom drive. I gave up in the end with the 2940UW and
put in my Tekram DC-390U3W U160 card (which was earmarked for hard drives in
another SCSI system), connected the optical drives to its narrow port and
voila everthing worked as it should.

I'll come back to the Adaptec when I get this system up and running with
fresh copy of XP.

Thanks,
Shane

Old February 24th 04, 04:19 PM
NSN

On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 07:43:40 +1000, "No Spam"
wrote:

[...]

Shane:

I have two Adaptec cards in my unit and both work. I can boot SCSI
(which I do) at all times. It should be listed in the BIOS.

If we could talk via the phone I could walk you through the setup on
mine while you do the same on yours.

Neither of us has a valid ID for e-mail so that makes a phone call
rather difficult.

Bottom line .. it is easy and you do have the capability. Are you
checking out all the top 3 catagories in the BIOS under BOOT. You must
have a bootable CD before the boot process will recognize your CD as
bootable. If not, the BIOS might not list the drive under the BOOT
section ..not sure about that though.

Norm

Norm
Old February 25th 04, 03:32 PM
no spam

Ok..now that I have the operating system installed on the machine by booting
off an WinXP installation CD using the DVDRom + Tekram SCSI card, I have now
taken out the Tekram and replaced it with the troublesome Adaptec 2940UW (I
won't let it beat me!). With this configuration I again tried to boot off
a WinXP CD without any luck. When I boot the machine the PCs bios details
appear followed by the Adaptec bios details. The two attached DVD/CD Rom
drvies are recognised by their SCSI ID numbers.

After the SCSI DVDRom that I use to boot off a CD with is identified a
message appears-

"A bootable CDROM is detected in your CDRom drive"

followed by another screen message:

"The boot sections on your bootable CDRoms a
0: DEFAULT ENTRY"

Instead of booting onto the CD in the drive, the process continues on to
boot off the main hard drive into the now installed WinXP.

I still at a loss at what the problem is. As I stated in an earlier post, I
had no problems with the Tekram card. However, the Adaptec won't work as a
boot device.
Incidently, now that the Adaptec is in the machine, the both optical drives
attached to it operate normally within Windows. I just can't boot from
either of them!

Shane

Old February 26th 04, 02:43 PM
NSN

Shane:

Since you can boot from the Tekram you certainly have the ASUS BIOS
set correctly. That would mean that you may not have your Adaptec BIOS
set properly.

Have you done a CTRL A while booting and checked the Adaptec BIOS to
make sure that it is set to boot? Also, have you downloaded the
latest driver set from the Adaptec site? I believe that XP has the
necessary drivers but it cannot hurt to try.

Norm

On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 00:32:32 +1000, "no spam"
wrote:

[...]

.. .
wrote:

[...]

Problems with my ATI-drivers for my Hercules Graphical card Charles van Doornewaard General 2 February 23rd 05 09:51 PM
15K rpm SCSI-disk Ronny Mandal General 26 December 8th 04 09:04 PM
Problems installing ALI USB 2.0 / IEEE1394 multi-port USB / Firewire pci card Hans H jakobsen General 2 March 31st 04 10:57 AM
Video card problems S.Boardman General 0 December 31st 03 03:53 PM
Asus MB & Advansys SCSI Card John Bridge Asus Motherboards 1 November 22nd 03 05:37 AM