flashdrive f#$ked up, store security gate?

Old November 8th 08, 09:12 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
randall_o

Default flashdrive f#$ked up, store security gate?

I keep my USB flashdrive on my keychain. Yesterday I walked into a
Target store and the security alarm went off, mind you this was
walking INTO the store. Same thing when exiting. I wasn't stealing
anything. Today my USB Flashdrive is acting funky, Windows XP keeps
saying I need to remove write protection from it, it is read only. I
put it into my desktop PC and WinXP wants to open every folder on the
drive. I try copying it to a backup folder on my hard drive and I get
errors saying there is no drive in blah blah blah. I got some files
backed up, some I did not. Anybody think this is coincidence, or
perhaps some new Target store security system just funked up my
flashdrive USB stick with extra magnetic energy or something? This has
me in the least not wanting to have my USB stick on my keychain.
Thoughts?
Old November 8th 08, 09:33 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
kony

On Sat, 8 Nov 2008 13:12:40 -0800 (PST), randall_o
wrote:

I keep my USB flashdrive on my keychain. Yesterday I walked into a
Target store and the security alarm went off, mind you this was
walking INTO the store. Same thing when exiting. I wasn't stealing
anything. Today my USB Flashdrive is acting funky, Windows XP keeps
saying I need to remove write protection from it, it is read only. I
put it into my desktop PC and WinXP wants to open every folder on the
drive. I try copying it to a backup folder on my hard drive and I get
errors saying there is no drive in blah blah blah. I got some files
backed up, some I did not. Anybody think this is coincidence, or
perhaps some new Target store security system just funked up my
flashdrive USB stick with extra magnetic energy or something? This has
me in the least not wanting to have my USB stick on my keychain.
Thoughts?

I think it more likely your keys or other more massive metal
objects might have set the alarm off and that it's just a
rare coincidence that the drive has failed recently
afterwards.

Since I haven't set any alarms off recently (besides a metal
detector at a courthouse when I was too lazy to completely
empty my pockets before entering) while having my thumbdrive
on my keychain, I can't tell you if that might be a
problem... I don't recall going to target recently, though
mine is encased in metal but is yours?

I'd call up Target and inquire about what kind of security
scanner it is, explaining that you had set it off twice and
want to prevent tripping it in the future. Not that this
will necessarily help your cause but it'd be nice to know
for the expressed reason.
Old November 8th 08, 09:40 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Sjouke Burry

randall_o wrote:
I keep my USB flashdrive on my keychain. Yesterday I walked into a
Target store and the security alarm went off, mind you this was
walking INTO the store. Same thing when exiting. I wasn't stealing
anything. Today my USB Flashdrive is acting funky, Windows XP keeps
saying I need to remove write protection from it, it is read only. I
put it into my desktop PC and WinXP wants to open every folder on the
drive. I try copying it to a backup folder on my hard drive and I get
errors saying there is no drive in blah blah blah. I got some files
backed up, some I did not. Anybody think this is coincidence, or
perhaps some new Target store security system just funked up my
flashdrive USB stick with extra magnetic energy or something? This has
me in the least not wanting to have my USB stick on my keychain.
Thoughts?

Magnetic field? No way, any magnetic field strong enough to
do that, would also remove the fillings from your teeth.
However sparks, as in electrostatic, will do fine, if you
come into contact(or your keychain does) with other people or
vehicles or keyholes.
Walking around on synthetic floorcovering, getting in or out of
cars in dry weather, or airconditioned areas, all that produces
static charge, and electronics dislike that.
So flashdrives should have a conducting outside covering, which
can shield agains that.
The cheaper ones might not have that, and then can be easely damamged.
Old November 8th 08, 10:14 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
randall_o

On Nov 8, 3:40*pm, Sjouke Burry
Magnetic field? No way, any magnetic field strong enough to
do that, would also remove the fillings from your teeth.

Okay. It just seems very coincidental. But yeah my teeth are hurting
today =)
Old November 10th 08, 10:03 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
~misfit~[_3_]

Somewhere on teh intarwebs "randall_o" typed:
On Nov 8, 3:40 pm, Sjouke Burry
Magnetic field? No way, any magnetic field strong enough to
do that, would also remove the fillings from your teeth.

Okay. It just seems very coincidental. But yeah my teeth are hurting
today =)

LOL. Tooth filling materials are non-magnetic. Otherwise anyone with
fillings needing an MRI would be in major trouble.
--
Shaun.

Old November 11th 08, 03:17 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
GlowingBlueMist[_2_]

"~misfit~" wrote in message
Somewhere on teh intarwebs "randall_o" typed:
On Nov 8, 3:40 pm, Sjouke Burry
Magnetic field? No way, any magnetic field strong enough to
do that, would also remove the fillings from your teeth.

Okay. It just seems very coincidental. But yeah my teeth are hurting
today =)

LOL. Tooth filling materials are non-magnetic. Otherwise anyone with
fillings needing an MRI would be in major trouble.
--
Shaun.

Yes, I suspect those with actual platinum or gold fillings or crowns might
have problems. Same for those who have screws or other metal attachments
connected to implanted replacement teeth.

Express Gate not Starting hemyd Asus Motherboards 3 June 23rd 08 12:19 PM
USB Flashdrive continual errors..... geronimo Homebuilt PC's 3 April 27th 08 09:01 PM
USB Flashdrive Larger than 2 Gb Manzoorul Hassan Storage (alternative) 2 January 9th 06 06:47 PM
USB FlashDrive Gary Dingle General 1 October 6th 04 06:34 PM
Fire Wire Gate Joseph A. Zupko Gigabyte Motherboards 1 December 17th 03 07:32 AM