x1650 agp

Old November 19th 06, 11:53 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Chobin

Default x1650 agp

Hi, I have a problem with this video card and an Asus K8V SE DELUXE
motherboard.
When I plug in the card the Promise controller bios disappears.
I have tried:
- two power supplies together;
- Asus bios update.
Nothing to do. I paste what I found looking
in internet: can you help me? Thank you very much.

Basically, there is a memory resource in the first
640K memory area, that limits how many option ROMs can load.

http://forums.2cpu.com/showthread.ph...ghlight=loadin...

"Why doesn't the BIOS (Option ROM) for my PCI device show during
boot up? The cause of the problem is that in order to be PC
Compatible, the Option Rom space is limited to 128K. this is
true for any motherboard with PC compatible BIOS'.

In the common configurations, a newer AGP card (such as any
GeForce4) will require 64K of Option Rom space, so you have only
64K of Option Rom space left to work with for other devices.
Many SCSI , NIC (w/ PXE), IDE Raid and etc., can easily use
another 40 to 64K of Option Rom space for their needs.

By design the Option Rom should shrink down to a smaller run
time code after the initialization code has run. For example,
some Adaptec cards will require 32K to initialize. Then they
shrink down to 12K at run time; whereas some GeForce4 cards require
64K to initialize and never release to a smaller amount. Please
check with the device manufacturer for the latest firmware upgrade
or ask if they have a smaller Option Rom available. Again this
is a limitation of the PC compatible specification and not a
failure of the motherboard BIOS itself."