Presario 2100 broken power connector

Old November 5th 05, 07:31 PM
gork

Default Presario 2100 broken power connector -R3240US

Hi
I have the same problem but with an Presario R3240US.
The problem is that i can't take it appart - I got to the step where i
remove the fans and on the back side, but i can't figure out how to
remove the mainboard - its not ****ible to remove the keyboard...

Thanks

Old November 5th 05, 11:32 PM
ikenfixit

Default Presario 2100 broken power connector

Man you people need to look harder.. These are all different and I'll
spend 6 days explaining how to's on disassembly and the reverse
process especially if something goes awry in the process. Just call
if you want to try it yourself and it will be easier to explain this
way. Not to be A stickler but the R-3k series is a bear to do, The
2100? get the rear panel of behind the keyboard off first and the
rest is self explanitory.. Good luck all..

Old November 7th 05, 05:39 PM
Mark

gork wrote:
Hi
I have the same problem but with an Presario R3240US.
The problem is that i can't take it appart - I got to the step where i
remove the fans and on the back side, but i can't figure out how to
remove the mainboard - its not ****ible to remove the keyboard...

Thanks

Typically, one would remove the keyboard earlier in the process. Is the
step you are referring to from the Compaq service literature? If not,
take a look at-
http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c00212209.pdf
It's tough to find (or remember!) all of the screws here and there
without a map of some kind. (Thus, the apparent typo in you messge on
what's "possible" is more likely a Freudean slip... but I agree with
you!) I'm not familiar with your model so I can't offer any hot
"tips" other that to look at section 5.10 of the manual for some
insight. It says it's for the "R3000 Notebook PC Series", so
that's what I'd look at myself. Good luck!

Old November 9th 05, 08:32 PM
Wanzi

I have a Presario 2500 w/ this exact problem... It's totally apart on
my Pool Table and waiting for the $3 part off of ebay to come in the
mail now. I used a Radio Shack solder gun @ 30 amps to remove the
old power jack which was pretty easy... now if I can just remember
how to put the thing back together after I get the part.

Old November 10th 05, 01:31 AM
stargazer257

Wanziwrote:
I have a Presario 2500 w/ this exact problem... It's totally apart on
my Pool Table and waiting for the $3 part off of ebay to come in the
mail now. I used a Radio Shack solder gun @ 30 amps to remove the
old power jack which was pretty easy... now if I can just remember
how to put the thing back together after I get the part.30 amps! It
sure sounds like a lot, but I can understand it. When I removed my
connector (from a 2100) in order to replace it it was a real pain to
remove. It almost seemed to not want to draw in any heat into the
solder lug, as if I blew a breaker on the soldering iron. I was
getting a bit worried about damaging some of the small components
near the power connector due to overheating, but I finally got the
old connector off, the holes in the MB cleared and the new connector
on. Works like a champ now...

Good luck with yours...

SG257

Old November 10th 05, 05:32 PM
pab1953

FWIW I'm working on the same problem with a 2100 ... still trying to
find the non-obvious screws on the case, so this thread has been very
helpful.

I'm guessing this would be a $200US-ish job at a local computer shop,
so the effort is worth the money ... assuming I don't eff the job up
and kill the notebook, which is very easy to imagine doing.

Talking of murder, who the hell's responsible for this delightful
piece of hardware design that has so many of us tearing our hair out
and wasting time and money? As far as I'm concerned, it has seriously
interrupted my work.

With so many people experiencing the same problem, is there grounds
for a class action lawsuit against HP?

Meanwhile, back at the disemboweling, where did I put all those screws

Old November 10th 05, 06:32 PM
pab1953

On a practical note, will it be possible to re-solder the existing
power pin, which is wobbly but not broken off, once I get the box
open? Or will I almost certainly need to use a new one?

Thank you.

Old November 10th 05, 10:31 PM
stargazer257

Obviously, YMMV, but in my 2100 one of the three solder lugs had
actually broke. The price for the part on eBay was dirt cheap, quick
to arrive, and worth the comfort of a solid repair.

In my case the laptop wouldn't even run, and once the repair was
effected, the unit booted up under battery power (must have been a
short?). Whew!

Good luck with those screws...let us know if you still need help
finding them...I needed it.

Old November 10th 05, 10:31 PM
pab1953

So I have the laptop open. The only piece I'm not sure about in the
disassembly is a small black lead going from the motherboard to
display or somewhere. Should this be disconnected? I can't see how.

As regards the power connector, there it sits black and wobbly -- and
very small and cramped. What do I do now? Can I solder it so it
doesn't wobble? Do I remove it (how?) and replace it?

Help aranoid:

Thanks.

Old November 11th 05, 06:29 AM
Mark

pab1953 wrote:
So I have the laptop open. The only piece I'm not sure about in the
disassembly is a small black lead going from the motherboard to
display or somewhere. Should this be disconnected? I can't see how.

As regards the power connector, there it sits black and wobbly -- and
very small and cramped. What do I do now? Can I solder it so it
doesn't wobble? Do I remove it (how?) and replace it?

If the connector itself is intact, it might just need to be resoldered
to the circuit board. However, if there is ANY damage or shortfall
whatsoever (loose center contact pin, cracked connector body, etc.) you
absolutely should replace it. It makes no sense to go through this much
grief and not make the very best repair possible. Soldering the
connector in place will require access to the underside of the board,
which generally means having to remove everything from the case in
order to extract the motherboard. The appropriate service literature
for your model should be downloaded and examined if at all available.
While not always perfect, it's a really big help. There appears to be
one for the 2100, depending on the specific model. See the
"Support" section for your model, select "Manuals" and look for
the Compaq "Maintenance and Service Guide". If I'm right, you can
just download--
http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c00246219.pdf

It CAN be done; good luck!