PC World: An insider's view

Old December 16th 03, 11:07 PM
Rob Walker

"Craig Rider" wrote in message

I had an interview with PCW in my student days. The Manager

interviewing
told me to forget the customer needs and get as much money out of them

as
possible. I called it a draw there and then.

Turns out this manager was the brother of my then current boss. Much

red
face from me!

Which store was that?

Rob

Leeds

Just wondered cos I've spoken to every PCW store many times and you get a
feel for which are helpful...
I'd say Leeds were never that great.

Rob

Old December 16th 03, 11:17 PM
CB

"Rob Walker" dd wrote in message

"Craig Rider" wrote in message

I had an interview with PCW in my student days. The Manager

interviewing
told me to forget the customer needs and get as much money out of

them
as
possible. I called it a draw there and then.

Turns out this manager was the brother of my then current boss.

Much
red
face from me!

Which store was that?

Rob

Leeds

Just wondered cos I've spoken to every PCW store many times and you get a
feel for which are helpful...
I'd say Leeds were never that great.

You know the old motto: If you pay staff peanuts you get monkeys! PCW may be
that type of employer;-)

CB
--
Craven and District Bird News
http://mysite.freeserve.com/cravenbirds

Old December 16th 03, 11:43 PM
tHatDudeUK

"CB" wrote in message
HeHe! What! Just like quite a few other companies in this World? I'll make
you a list. Are you on broadband;-)

1mbit, is that enuff for ur list? ;-)

Old December 16th 03, 11:48 PM
tHatDudeUK

"Lee J. Moore" wrote in message
because prices were so volatile. She gave me the price for 10CDRs -
ridiculously expensive - and I promptly went to Maplin down the road and
got five times the amount of better quality CDRs for £5 less. I got

served
instantly by a helpful smiling assistant too.

And maplins are well overpriced too

www.121cdr.co.uk is one of the cheapest and excellent service.

Old December 16th 03, 11:50 PM
tHatDudeUK

"Rob Walker" dd wrote in message
Just wondered cos I've spoken to every PCW store many times and you get a
feel for which are helpful...
I'd say Leeds were never that great.

Bradford forster sq is pretty naff too.

Old December 16th 03, 11:57 PM
Gizmo

"Rob Walker" dd wrote in message
I've just handed my notice in at PC World's call centre so as long as it's
not going to get me into a lawsuit etc, I'm open to answering any

questions
you might have....

Is it a prerequisite for PCW shop floor staff to know sod all about
computers? But on the plus side to be rude, useless, spotty faced cretins
who's sole aim in life is to sell just one gormless punter one of their
over-priced useless extended warrantees ?
And just how much commission do said spotty faced, useless, clueless
****wits get for selling said useless warrantees?

Old December 17th 03, 12:02 AM
Rob Walker

I had an interview with PCW in my student days. The Manager
interviewing
told me to forget the customer needs and get as much money out of

them
as
possible. I called it a draw there and then.

Turns out this manager was the brother of my then current boss.

Much
red
face from me!

Which store was that?

Rob

Leeds

Just wondered cos I've spoken to every PCW store many times and you get

feel for which are helpful...
I'd say Leeds were never that great.

You know the old motto: If you pay staff peanuts you get monkeys! PCW may

be
that type of employer;-)

Well, the starting rate is £6 an hour for call centre staff rising every 6
months for the first 18. I think stores are fairly similar. Plus commission
for store staff of course...

Rob

Old December 17th 03, 12:06 AM
tHatDudeUK

"Rob Walker" dd wrote in message
In general PC World is always going to find it difficult becuase they're
selling complicated pieces of equipment to what are basically, idiots.

We have to assume that these little shops which build PC's with 2500 athlons
and sell them as 3200's have more *technical* problems with what they sell
than PC world as PC worlds stuff is put together in accordance with whatever
regulations. I can't see the cheaper end PC world gear lasting out 24 months
tho to be honest. A nice business idea would be a premium rate PC help line.
"Yes sir, put the phone by your pc and I will magically fix it, don't hang
up and leave the phone there for 30 minutes, remember, you are being charged
£5 a minute for this call." lol. This business idea is trademarked by
tHatDudeUK and u'll be sued if you do it,. heheheheh.

PCW really aren't the evil empire people make them out to be.

My experience of PC world has never been good, things overpriced, bargain
bins with damaged goods reduced by only 10% (and still pricier than new
online and often out of date gear) poor service and removing items from
retail packaging (although this is probably more a pet hate than anything
but when I buy something I expect a sealed box). I've never had a single
problem personally with Ebuyer, although once I suggested my g/f order some
stuff from there and it turned out the courier (or someone) removed some
items prior to delivery.

Old December 17th 03, 12:21 AM
SLP

"tHatDudeUK" wrote in message

PCW really aren't the evil empire people make them out to be.

My experience of PC world has never been good, things overpriced, bargain
bins with damaged goods reduced by only 10% (and still pricier than new
online and often out of date gear) poor service and removing items from
retail packaging (although this is probably more a pet hate than anything
but when I buy something I expect a sealed box). I've never had a single
problem personally with Ebuyer, although once I suggested my g/f order

some
stuff from there and it turned out the courier (or someone) removed some
items prior to delivery.

I just bought a gamepad today from the local PC World (it was actually a
tenner cheaper than anywhere else) got it home, opened the box......and no
gamepad inside - only the manual, disk, batteries and cordless receiver.

Apart form the 40 mile round journey I'll have to make tomorrow to return
it, I'll also have the fun task of trying to convince them that the box
really didn't have a gamepad inside and I'm not just trying it on.

What would the normal Customer Services procedure be for dealing with a
return like this?

SLP

Old December 17th 03, 12:33 AM
tHatDudeUK

"SLP" wrote in message
I just bought a gamepad today from the local PC World (it was actually a
tenner cheaper than anywhere else) got it home, opened the box......and no
gamepad inside - only the manual, disk, batteries and cordless receiver.

Yes, they probably did what annoys me. They removed the gamepad from the box
leaving empty boxes ondisplay with driver disks etc "in case they got
nicked." and obviously forgot to put your gamepad in the box. It doesn't
make any sense IMO because say I nick the gamepad box and find no gamepad, I
chuck it in the bin and PC world is minus a manual, disk and receiver.
Absolutley stupid. It wastes their time and the customers time and costs
shop space which is usually considered a premium.

I hope you get it sorted.