why doesn't my compaq boot from flopy?

Old October 4th 03, 03:47 PM
Ingo Hauf

Default why doesn't my compaq boot from flopy?

compaq deskpro 2000 M5133/1080 GER

I want to install a new HDD, becouse the old one is broken.

I think I had to install a new Partition on the knew HDD using the two
created Disk's "F10 Setup and Personal Computer Diagnostics" SP4704,
but the Comp didn't boot from the created disk.

Another Floppy disk drive and a new cable didn't solve the problem.

Can ther be another thing I had to do - Especially by Compaq?

Hwo do I have to prepare the new HD (4GB)?
1. Cabel select
2. deleted old Win98/2000 partition's == unformated?
thanks

Old October 4th 03, 06:02 PM
Ingo Hauf

HH wrote:
Are you sure the floppy is bootable? What error message do you get?

No. The massage is:
you have to load COMPAQ BASIC
restart your system
It appear's on screen one moment after the power is switched.
Ingo

Old October 4th 03, 09:47 PM
Henry

"Ingo Hauf" wrote in message ...
compaq deskpro 2000 M5133/1080 GER

I want to install a new HDD, becouse the old one is broken.

I think I had to install a new Partition on the knew HDD using the two
created Disk's "F10 Setup and Personal Computer Diagnostics" SP4704,
but the Comp didn't boot from the created disk.

Another Floppy disk drive and a new cable didn't solve the problem.

Can ther be another thing I had to do - Especially by Compaq?

Hwo do I have to prepare the new HD (4GB)?
1. Cabel select
2. deleted old Win98/2000 partition's == unformated?
thanks

That's curious. A friend just purchased a compaq pentium 933 off a lease.
I found his computer did the exact same thing. I wanted to test his memory
with a diagnostic boot disk. Even with the floppy set as first boot device
in the bios, it still would not boot to the floppy. It would just boot
straight to windows. I thought it was just a fluke in his machine, but it
seems like others have this problem also. I did manage to put the
diagnistic on a cd rom and it was able to boot from that.

Henry

A7N8X Deluxe - at boot time it tried to boot from network Alex Hunsley Asus Motherboards 5 September 23rd 04 07:03 PM
HELP! Boot problem after enabling then disabling RAID Promise onP4PE Ken Krone Asus Motherboards 4 June 6th 04 06:53 AM
A7N8X Maxtor SATA drive no boot Phut Asus Motherboards 1 July 23rd 03 10:58 PM
Compaq FAQ Updated HH Compaq Computers 0 June 29th 03 03:58 PM
Dual Boot, How? Paul \(Erie\) General 1 June 24th 03 04:36 PM