Good quality DVD-R media in the UK?

Old October 10th 04, 05:44 PM
Paul Hutchings

Default Good quality DVD-R media in the UK?

I'm after some good quality DVD-R media, basically something that will
last a long time, speed-wise I only need 4x.

Looking at the stuff available at most UK online vendors, there is cheap
and cheerful media and the more expensive branded stuff, maxell,
verbatim and so forth.

As with CDRs, on paper, buying branded doesn't seem to guarantee you're
getting any more than cheap media with a brandname on it, with DVD media
there just seems to be too much choice almost.

Any suggestions on what to buy, and where from (in the UK) to get good
quality, without paying through the nose?

regards
Paul
paul at spamcop.net
Old October 10th 04, 05:54 PM
Paul Hutchings

Paul Hutchings wrote in
. 1.4:

Any suggestions on what to buy, and where from (in the UK) to get good
quality, without paying through the nose?

Sorry to follow-up my own post, but any thoughts on the mitsubishi
chemicals media at www.bigpockets.co.uk?

regards
Paul
paul at spamcop.net
Old October 10th 04, 07:01 PM
Kenny

Getting good results with Datawrite, both 4x & 8x. Cheapest prices I've
seen in UK is:
http://www.ukdvdr.co.uk/

--

Kenny

. 1.4...

paul at spamcop.net

Old October 10th 04, 07:06 PM
SteveB

Datawrite grey x8 DVD-R Fuji dye seems perfect in my NEC ND2510a, I've
bought 2 lots a couple of months ago from Ebuyer and the price has just
dropped.

http://www.ebuyer.com/

paul at spamcop.net

Old October 11th 04, 11:53 AM
Alex Nichol

Kenny wrote:

Getting good results with Datawrite, both 4x & 8x.

I would agree - I usually get them from Dabs as 'Dabsvalue'. I have
had no coasters attributable to the media. Longevity I think will be
as good as with any that also has a sensibly thickly printed label as
protection

--
Alex Nichol
Bournemouth, U.K.

Old October 11th 04, 02:14 PM
James Perrett

Paul Hutchings wrote:

Paul Hutchings wrote in
. 1.4:

Any suggestions on what to buy, and where from (in the UK) to get good
quality, without paying through the nose?

Sorry to follow-up my own post, but any thoughts on the mitsubishi
chemicals media at www.bigpockets.co.uk?

I've been using Verbatim branded Mitsubishi discs for a few months with
no problems. Predicted lifetimes don't seem to be as good as for CD-R's
(only 25 years).

Some people claim that Ritek produce good DVD blanks but, given my
experience of their CD's, I wouldn't risk using them personally.

Cheers.

James.
Old November 4th 04, 05:17 PM
Lordy

Paul Hutchings wrote in
. 1.4:

I'm after some good quality DVD-R media, basically something that will
last a long time, speed-wise I only need 4x.

If this is critical/important stuff get TYs. 70p a disc. (Code TYG02)
Next are Verbatim/TDK with TY dye approx 50-60p a disc. (Code TYG01)

TDKs with TTG01 Dye are (I think Ritek (?), I've read that TDY are
dropping them but I could be mistaken.
Ritek have had some quality control issues lately that people are
moaning about.
(I think Datawrite Yellow 8x use this dye)

For General stuff like others said DataWrite Greys are good but i find
DataSafe G04 are better (why pay for 8x premium if you're not going to
use it) Since the code switched from FujiFilm03 to ProDiscF01 they seem
a bit slower to load etc but I cannot confirm this because I had not
started scanning my media until this week (see below)

(Note the new 8x Bulkpaqs are the same ProDisc F01 dye and factory as
the Datawrite Greys PrincoF01 but 1UKP cheaper - I'm still not sure how
FujiFilm3 fits into the picture or the relationship bet Princo and Fuji)

Regarding words like "good" and "better" here's what to do,

Buy/obtain a cheap Liteon DVDWriter, Combo(*)(approx £30) or DVD-Rom(*
approx £22)
(If one of the latter two you can still follow this procedure but your
scans will not be comparable to those on the internet)

Download and install Kprobe2 (see Google).

Only buy small amounts of different media at a time to start with.
Whenever you burn a full disc on new media for the first time - run a
Kprobe2 scan it at 4speed in the Liteon Unit.
Keep screenshots of the graphs. You are looking for PI average below 280
and PIF below 32 (The lower the better - I find good discs may average
around 140 PI / 18 PIF respectively but I'm using a LiteonCombo which
gives higher figures.)

http://kprobe.cdfreaks.com/

The results have often confirmed my gut feelings!

In short it boils down to your burner, the dye used, the quality of disc
production, and burn speed.

Any suggestions on what to buy, and where from (in the UK) to get good
quality, without paying through the nose?

SVP is always cheap and have top notch customer service. Their prices
are sometimes undercut by Ebuyer but never enough to make me switch.
Wait for cheap shipping days and buy lots (once you know what media you
have settled for of course!)

--
Lordy
Old November 4th 04, 05:21 PM
Lordy

Lordy wrote in news:Xns9597AFF94136Blordybigfootcom@
130.133.1.4:

Regarding words like "good" and "better" here's what to do,

Buy/obtain a cheap Liteon DVDWriter, Combo(*)(approx œ30) or DVD-Rom(*
approx œ22)
(If one of the latter two you can still follow this procedure but your
scans will not be comparable to those on the internet)

Download and install Kprobe2 (see Google).

Only buy small amounts of different media at a time to start with.
Whenever you burn a full disc on new media for the first time - run a
Kprobe2 scan it at 4speed in the Liteon Unit.
Keep screenshots of the graphs. You are looking for PI average below 280
and PIF below 32 (The lower the better - I find good discs may average
around 140 PI / 18 PIF respectively but I'm using a LiteonCombo which
gives higher figures.)

Just thought I'd add. There may be cheaper scanning options that the above.
Once way is to use a DVD Speed program to read the disc. If the speed
drops,
you have too many arrors.

Also there is DVDInfoPro and probably others too...

I just happened to have a Liteon Combo, so I went the KProbe2 route.

--
Lordy