Deskpro 166Mhz

Old November 11th 03, 07:07 PM
Rocky Ververs

Default Deskpro 166Mhz

Hello

I've got an old Deskpro 166 Mhz computer with on the label the following:
serie 3564 (modelnumber??).
My problad is the harddisk is not bootable anymore.
I have an other harddisk but on the original disk is some system information
witch I can't mannage to copy it to the disk I would like to install in my
compaq. I tryed cloning the disk of compaq but the pc show the message ERROR
for setup or recover the system.

Is there anyone who can help?

Kind regards

RV

Old November 11th 03, 10:58 PM
Eugene

Rocky Ververs wrote:

Hello

I've got an old Deskpro 166 Mhz computer with on the label the following:
serie 3564 (modelnumber??).
My problad is the harddisk is not bootable anymore.
I have an other harddisk but on the original disk is some system
information witch I can't mannage to copy it to the disk I would like to
install in my compaq. I tryed cloning the disk of compaq but the pc show
the message ERROR LOADING OPERATING SYSTEM. I don't have any recover disks
or other software for setup or recover the system.

Is there anyone who can help?

Kind regards

RV

Everything for the deskpros is downloadable, just go to the site and get it.
I think your talking about the setup/diags partition. You download the set
and it creates the install floppies. Make sure there are no partitions onn
the hdd then boot off the first floppy and it will create and install the
setup.diags partitio.

Old November 11th 03, 11:00 PM
Tom Scales

Is the new drive smaller than 8GB? If not, you need overlay software, which
means no cloning. You need to find a small, old, good drive.

Tom

Old November 20th 03, 06:36 PM
Kevin Childers

1. Check out Techrepublic's "200 Ways To Revive A Hard Drive". That may
help you get your old drive to run one last time to transfer it's contents
to the new drive.

2. Depending on the drive your transferring the data to, there may be a
manufacturers set-up software package that includes a drive copy/drive
imaging program. If not you may need to check out Powerquest or Norton to
purchase some.

One other asset I've only recently discovered is an old copy of the
Powerquest Free Trial software CD that includes a 30 free trial of Partition
Magic, Drive Image, Drive Image Professional, and Drive Copy. You might
want to see if they still offer it as it's great for a one time drive
replacement situation such as yours.

Remember, if you can revive your old drive it is usually a one shot
deal. You need to revive it, and transfer all of the data without delay.

After your done you can trash the old drive, disassemble it to see
what's really in a hard drive or even donate it to a local school that can
use it as a teaching aid so kids will know what a hard drive looks like and
how one works.