Printable CDs - what do they look like?

Old April 7th 04, 01:49 PM
Safetymom123

The Memorex printable CD's have a solid white background.

"Just Allan" wrote in message
Just a simple question... What do printable CDs look like - are they
plain silver like commerical CDs (before they're screenprinted), or do
they have a solid white background?

Thanks for reading...

Allan.

Old April 7th 04, 04:04 PM
Douglas

They are available in both,white and matte silver.The white ones print a
little sharper,and the silver have a sort of 'holographic" look.This is for
the inkjet discs.Thermal printables are a smooth glossy white.Be sure to buy
the correct type!
m...

Old June 13th 04, 03:12 AM
Brian Smither

"Douglas" . wrote in :

They are available in both,white and matte silver.The white ones print
a little sharper,and the silver have a sort of 'holographic" look.This
is for the inkjet discs.Thermal printables are a smooth glossy
white.Be sure to buy the correct type!

So what would happen if I printed directly onto a non-printable CD. Has
anyone tried it?

The Epson manual *strongly* discourages it but does not delve into the
*why* that it's a bad idea.

--
Remove INVALID from e-mail address.
Old June 13th 04, 04:12 AM
Douglas

Well,if it prints at all it will just wipe right off.A waste of ink.If you
need to use a standard non-printable disc,use a label!

Old June 13th 04, 07:55 PM
SleeperMan

Brian Smither typed:

"Douglas" . wrote in :

They are available in both,white and matte silver.The white ones
print a little sharper,and the silver have a sort of 'holographic"
look.This is for the inkjet discs.Thermal printables are a smooth
glossy white.Be sure to buy the correct type!

So what would happen if I printed directly onto a non-printable CD.
Has anyone tried it?

The Epson manual *strongly* discourages it but does not delve into the
*why* that it's a bad idea.

Try to print on transparency, made for laser printer and you'll see - ink
doesn't dry out, image is all smudged and you can easily wipe it off.
And - what's most likely, you can make print head dirty.

Old June 14th 04, 10:55 AM
Walter Plinge

"Douglas" . wrote in message ...
Well,if it prints at all it will just wipe right off.A waste of ink.If you
need to use a standard non-printable disc,use a label!

Except for DVDs -- even a slight misalignment of the label can had adverse
consequences due to the higher rotational speed.

Old June 14th 04, 01:00 PM
RJH

"SleeperMan" wrote in message
Brian Smither typed:

"Douglas" . wrote in :

They are available in both,white and matte silver.The white ones
print a little sharper,and the silver have a sort of 'holographic"
look.This is for the inkjet discs.Thermal printables are a smooth
glossy white.Be sure to buy the correct type!

So what would happen if I printed directly onto a non-printable CD.
Has anyone tried it?

The Epson manual *strongly* discourages it but does not delve into the
*why* that it's a bad idea.

Try to print on transparency, made for laser printer and you'll see - ink
doesn't dry out, image is all smudged and you can easily wipe it off.
And - what's most likely, you can make print head dirty.

I tried it on my Canon 865, just couldn't resist. 3 thin lines printed on
the surface of a TDK cdr wiped straight off, even after leaving it for 10
minutes to dry. Printer seems fine though, no harm done.

Rob

Old June 14th 04, 03:22 PM
SleeperMan

RJH typed:

"Douglas" . wrote in :

[...]

I remember once i've tried to print something on transparency, made for
laser. I waited a few weeks, but i could still easily wipe out...very funny
indeed..

Memorex Printable CD-Rs Alan Cdr 2 February 2nd 05 11:05 PM
Full faced Inkjet printable CDRs in the UK? Martin ©¿©¬ @mandeREMOVETHIS.plus.com Cdr 1 September 11th 04 12:13 PM
Printable CDs drying time Martin ©¿©¬ @mandeREMOVETHIS.plus.com Cdr 8 August 10th 04 09:21 PM
Best price on Inkjet Printable CD-R/DVD-R? John Doe Cdr 1 August 4th 04 12:29 AM
Inkjet printable CD-Rs' OK for ahesive labels??? Bill L Cdr 1 February 2nd 04 11:03 PM