IP Camera

Old June 10th 04, 05:51 AM
SlAyEr

i supply wireless cameras from home and have sold units to a few of my
neighbours....

we can all access each others cam from our houses and none of us seems to
mind whether the neighbours are watching each others cams...

its not a problem.....only one is internal.... and thats mine and i dont
care if im being watched....

the neighbours cams are used for security at the front door or down the
street..

i tune into theirs from time to time and they tune into mine,,,

doesnt hurt anybody..

regards slayer

--
if the following image offends then dont look at it...

/' /)
,/_ /
/ /
/'_'/' '/'_'7,
/'/ / / /" \
('( ' ' _~/
\ '\
'\' \ \ \ _7
\ (
\ \.

slayer in da house annoying the people

ERROR 404 SIG NOT FOUND . END OF INSTRUCTION , PROGRAM FAILED TO
INITIALIZE. KILL ALL ENEMIES OF THE UK AND COALITION FORCES NOW !!!

SOME PEOPLE ENJOY SIPPING FROM THE FOUNTAIN OF KNOWLEDGE...........

PERSONALLY ,,,, i like to take huge gulps..........

remove my shorts to email me direct....

http://www.rselby.com/tips.htm windowx xp tips

regards slayer

Old June 10th 04, 05:55 AM
Peter

(Kim) wrote in message om...
"Noël®" wrote in message ...
"Kim" wrote in message
om...

(Jerry) wrote in message
m...
| I saw an ad on Google about a second generation IP camera which can
| also work like a webcam. Does anyone have any experience with this
| type of IP camera?
|
| I bought four IP cameras from a local security system installer. I
| have two at home and two in my shop. I can use my Yahoo Messenger to
| show my wife the back room where the supply is while I chat with her.
| It works pretty well at home too. I can show my parents in Korea the
| baby's room without moving my webcam and my computer to another room.

What model / make is the IP cam that you are using with the Yahoo Messenger,
and is it only with the Yahoo Messenger that it's working, or will it also
work with MSN?

Noël

I just went to the company's web site. They have a promotion going on
for $99. I paid $199 to my installer who hardly did anything except
drill a few holes. I will see if I can get my money back.

The guy did not even pull Ethernet cable. He just plug it in a little
box on the outlet and then I can see video on my PC. He told me it's
more secure then the wireless IP camera. I am not sure if I trust him.

Kim,

I am interested in finding out what kind of video recording system did
the security system installer put in for you? Are you using the
recording GUI on the web page or did the guy put in a time lapse VCR
or a Digital Video Recorder (DVR) for you?

If they use time lapse VCR and DVR then the cost can be very high.
There are no real cost advantages in using the IP camera. If you use
the GUI on the web page to record video then you have to start it
manually everyday and worry about harddisk full.

If there are no real recording solutions then I think the IP camera is
just a toy. I am not sure the IP camera can be a good security
solution for businesses.

Peter
Old June 10th 04, 04:13 PM
Kim

(Peter) wrote in message . com...
(Kim) wrote in message om...
"Noël®" wrote in message ...
"Kim" wrote in message
om...

(Jerry) wrote in message
m...
| I saw an ad on Google about a second generation IP camera which can
| also work like a webcam. Does anyone have any experience with this
| type of IP camera?
|
| I bought four IP cameras from a local security system installer. I
| have two at home and two in my shop. I can use my Yahoo Messenger to
| show my wife the back room where the supply is while I chat with her.
| It works pretty well at home too. I can show my parents in Korea the
| baby's room without moving my webcam and my computer to another room.

What model / make is the IP cam that you are using with the Yahoo Messenger,
and is it only with the Yahoo Messenger that it's working, or will it also
work with MSN?

Noël

I just went to the company's web site. They have a promotion going on
for $99. I paid $199 to my installer who hardly did anything except
drill a few holes. I will see if I can get my money back.

The guy did not even pull Ethernet cable. He just plug it in a little
box on the outlet and then I can see video on my PC. He told me it's
more secure then the wireless IP camera. I am not sure if I trust him.

Kim,

I am interested in finding out what kind of video recording system did
the security system installer put in for you? Are you using the
recording GUI on the web page or did the guy put in a time lapse VCR
or a Digital Video Recorder (DVR) for you?

If they use time lapse VCR and DVR then the cost can be very high.
There are no real cost advantages in using the IP camera. If you use
the GUI on the web page to record video then you have to start it
manually everyday and worry about harddisk full.

If there are no real recording solutions then I think the IP camera is
just a toy. I am not sure the IP camera can be a good security
solution for businesses.

Peter

Peter,

No, I do not pay for VCR or DVR. I pay $49 for a software called "TLC
Stream DVR". The guy just run the software on my PC. It works
automatically. I do not need to do anything. It only record when there
is people in the shop. I can bring up recorded video anytime I want.

Kim
Old June 10th 04, 05:02 PM
Jerry

(Peter) wrote in message . com...
(Kim) wrote in message om...
"Noël®" wrote in message ...
"Kim" wrote in message
om...

(Jerry) wrote in message
m...
| I saw an ad on Google about a second generation IP camera which can
| also work like a webcam. Does anyone have any experience with this
| type of IP camera?
|
| I bought four IP cameras from a local security system installer. I
| have two at home and two in my shop. I can use my Yahoo Messenger to
| show my wife the back room where the supply is while I chat with her.
| It works pretty well at home too. I can show my parents in Korea the
| baby's room without moving my webcam and my computer to another room.

What model / make is the IP cam that you are using with the Yahoo Messenger,
and is it only with the Yahoo Messenger that it's working, or will it also
work with MSN?

Noël

I just went to the company's web site. They have a promotion going on
for $99. I paid $199 to my installer who hardly did anything except
drill a few holes. I will see if I can get my money back.

The guy did not even pull Ethernet cable. He just plug it in a little
box on the outlet and then I can see video on my PC. He told me it's
more secure then the wireless IP camera. I am not sure if I trust him.

Kim,

I am interested in finding out what kind of video recording system did
the security system installer put in for you? Are you using the
recording GUI on the web page or did the guy put in a time lapse VCR
or a Digital Video Recorder (DVR) for you?

If they use time lapse VCR and DVR then the cost can be very high.
There are no real cost advantages in using the IP camera. If you use
the GUI on the web page to record video then you have to start it
manually everyday and worry about harddisk full.

If there are no real recording solutions then I think the IP camera is
just a toy. I am not sure the IP camera can be a good security
solution for businesses.

Peter

There are many software DVR solutions out there. All you need is a PC.
For example, D-Link has software that comes with the IP Camera which
records video. You can setup a schedule for it to record. It also has
some kind of sensitivity things during recording. I thought it will
record based on motion trigger. But it recorded even without any
motion. Maybe other people had better luck then me. I think one of the
reasons is that the D-Link camera I tested has a problem that the
video flashes all the time. Another problem is that you have to use
the local software to record. The web based control function is very
limited. This is different from other IP cameras where most of the
recording control can be done with web interface remotely.

I think the system that Kim has is probably based on the software DVR
running on his PC. I know that the TLC IP Camera offers a free DVR
software for one camera. I think they charge something like $49 for 2
or more cameras. I was able to get the motion triggered recording to
work. It does a good job in managing disk storage. I can run it for
days without worrying about disk space running out. It has some nice
advanced features that I can only find in professional DVR system. For
example, it records video 1 minute before and 1 minute after the
motion trigger. This is very important for security applications.
Old June 10th 04, 07:17 PM
Noël®

| it records video 1 minute before and 1 minute after the
| motion trigger. This is very important for security applications.

Hmmm how can it record 1 minute before the motion trigger, or is it using
somekind of buffer?

Anyway, I've been emailing TLC, and they are quick in replying my questions!

I'm going to order one today!

Thanks again for the tip about this cam!

Noël

--
http://webcam.kijk.info
http://www.resize2mail.com

Old June 10th 04, 07:44 PM
Bill Unruh

(Peter) writes:

(Kim) wrote in message om...
] "Noël®" wrote in message ...
] "Kim" wrote in message
] om...
] |
(Jerry) wrote in message
] m...
] | I saw an ad on Google about a second generation IP camera which can
] | also work like a webcam. Does anyone have any experience with this
] | type of IP camera?
] |
] | I bought four IP cameras from a local security system installer. I
] | have two at home and two in my shop. I can use my Yahoo Messenger to
] | show my wife the back room where the supply is while I chat with her.
] | It works pretty well at home too. I can show my parents in Korea the
] | baby's room without moving my webcam and my computer to another room.
]
]
] What model / make is the IP cam that you are using with the Yahoo Messenger,
] and is it only with the Yahoo Messenger that it's working, or will it also
] work with MSN?
]
] Noël
]
] I just went to the company's web site. They have a promotion going on
] for $99. I paid $199 to my installer who hardly did anything except
] drill a few holes. I will see if I can get my money back.
]
] The guy did not even pull Ethernet cable. He just plug it in a little
] box on the outlet and then I can see video on my PC. He told me it's
] more secure then the wireless IP camera. I am not sure if I trust him.

Apparently he did do something. He supplied an "ethernet over power lines"
hardware to connect the two together. (while somewhat safer maybe than
wireless, I would still rather have ethernet cable). The fact that the box
is little does not mean that it does not cost money.

]Kim,

]I am interested in finding out what kind of video recording system did
]the security system installer put in for you? Are you using the
]recording GUI on the web page or did the guy put in a time lapse VCR
]or a Digital Video Recorder (DVR) for you?

]If they use time lapse VCR and DVR then the cost can be very high.
]There are no real cost advantages in using the IP camera. If you use
]the GUI on the web page to record video then you have to start it
]manually everyday and worry about harddisk full.

Why would you have to start it manually every day? There are things like
cron jobs. Disk full is another matter, although a FIFO system of erasing
old pictures for new ones can be installed, unless you want to keep the
tapes for a long time. (But at one frame a sec say, and then compressing
you can store a lot of pictures on a 100GB disk drive.)
A 1 hour movie has 100,000 high res frames-- with large changes in general
from one frame to the next (poorer compression) and fits onto a 4GB DVD. So a 100GB drive
will hold a month's worth of pictures.

]If there are no real recording solutions then I think the IP camera is
]just a toy. I am not sure the IP camera can be a good security
]solution for businesses.

Depends on what you want and how much "hacking" you are willing to do.
Old June 11th 04, 01:47 AM
Peter

(Jerry) wrote in message . com...
(Peter) wrote in message . com...
(Kim) wrote in message om...
"Noël®" wrote in message ...
"Kim" wrote in message
om...

(Jerry) wrote in message

> [...]

the local software to record. The web based control function is very
limited. This is different from other IP cameras where most of the
recording control can be done with web interface remotely.

I think the system that Kim has is probably based on the software DVR
running on his PC. I know that the TLC IP Camera offers a free DVR
software for one camera. I think they charge something like $49 for 2
or more cameras. I was able to get the motion triggered recording to
work. It does a good job in managing disk storage. I can run it for
days without worrying about disk space running out. It has some nice
advanced features that I can only find in professional DVR system. For
example, it records video 1 minute before and 1 minute after the
motion trigger. This is very important for security applications.

Jerry,

Thanks for the information. It is very useful for me. I am going to
check out the TLC IP camera to see if I can use it for some of my
customers.

Peter
Old June 14th 04, 04:09 AM
Nathan

Dont count on it. JVC makes one for about $1200. I have installed a
300 watt light and in some cases a 500 watt light do be certain that I
can see what I need to for a reasonable price. I doubt that we will
see an IP camera with a low lux or IR abilities for less than a $1000
any time soon.

(Jerry) wrote in message . com...
"bumtracks" wrote in message .. .
would be nice if network cameras could display video like a webcam directly
in MSN Messenger, NetMeeting, etc.

"Jerry" wrote in message
I saw an ad on Google about a second generation IP camera which can
also work like a webcam. Does anyone have any experience with this
type of IP camera?

I tested several IP cameras (D-Link, Linksys, Veo, TLC, ORite). Only
the TLC IP Camera 8000 could display video directly on MSN and Yahoo
Messenger like the webcam. I found this was a good feature for me,
since sometime I have problems configuing IP cameras to work through
my customer's firewall.

The video quality is also a lot better than the D-Link and Linksys. My
problem is that the camera does not work well in low light conditions.
Actually, none of these low cost IP cameras I tested, works well in
low light condition. I find that only the high cost surveillance
cameras work well in low light conditions, and they automatically turn
black-and-white at night. But, the price is too high for most of my
customers. Does anyone know of an IP camera that can work in low light
condition but cost less than $200?

Old June 15th 04, 01:19 AM
ChadMan

"Noël®" wrote in message news:caa8j1

Anyway, I've been emailing TLC, and they are quick in replying my

questions!

I'm going to order one today!

Thanks again for the tip about this cam!

Noël

I would be careful with them. Their website does not behave very well.
Their support area leaves very much to be desired! I don't even see a
FAQ on the site.

Old June 15th 04, 10:36 PM
TLC Support

"ChadMan" wrote in message ...
"Noël®" wrote in message news:caa8j1

Anyway, I've been emailing TLC, and they are quick in replying my

questions!

I'm going to order one today!

Thanks again for the tip about this cam!

Noël

I would be careful with them. Their website does not behave very well.
Their support area leaves very much to be desired! I don't even see a
FAQ on the site.

Hummm... Which web site are you talking about? The FAQ link is on the
first page of http://www.tlcstream.com . It is also linked on the
second line of the Support page. The support page also provides an 888
toll free number for technical support. You can also email us at the
factory ) .

So, Mr. ChadMan, If there is anything we can help, please let us know.
Looking forward to hear from you,

TLC Support Department