Need advice for a Wireless camera

Old May 6th 04, 08:36 AM
Noël

"bumtracks" wrote in message

| fwiw;
| Compex, www.cpx.com makes a wifi router, np26g-usb, that converts to a
| stand alone wireless usb webcam server. It;s based on a particular
popular
| camera driver so you might want to download its firmware and look at the
| known camera's it supports. Think I paid $75 for that router online. You
| could possibly add a $50 webcam and there you go, almost - low light.

The np26g-usb looks nice!

How does this "dual USB port" for print or webcam server stuff work?
Is it like you plug-in the USB cam, you install the webcam driver on one of
the PC's that is on the LAN and than access the webcam that is connected to
the USB port of the router?

Also.. What will happen when you install the webcam driver on two PC's and
access the USB port of the router?

Noël

--
http://webcam.kijk.info
http://www.resize2mail.com

Old May 6th 04, 01:57 PM
bumtracks

more or less,,, no pc required.

The np28gusb becomes a stand alone webcam server once its webcam firmware is
loaded.

It can be connected to 802.11b/g wirelessly,,, or patch cabled to a
router. or cross over cabled to a pc.

Basicly with the firmware installed it appears to become just another wifi
network client --- A usb-webcam plugs directly into apparently either usb
port. Looks like it will support two camera's but only one will view at any
one time. Type in the url and it presents you with a web page and a search
for cam button,,, then appears a pop up window giving you a list of the
webcams to choose from. It does WDS so I guess you can have an infinite
number of seperate NP26gusb wirelessly on its wds network functioning as
webcam servers and/or routers.

You will access the webcam remotely from any network computer just as you
would access any networked pc. No webcam program needed on any computer.

np26g-usb once loaded with camera firmware contains the more or less generic
webcam driver and gives you webpage access to the video and webcam controls
.... probably most would add a password for controls.

I'm speculating on how it all works as I dont have a supported camera to
fool around with. They have almost zero documentation that I can find.
I have loaded the cam firmware and fiddled,,, supprised me as I unplugged
the network cable feeding it after doing a VNC firmware change from routerAP
to CamServer and my wifi laptop channel switched over and was taking to
t - it had become a repeater or wireless AP and networked the laptop
wirelessy through my di624a dlink wifi router. As a router it runs to
the beat of a different drummer,,, has features that make it a not your
everyday normal router - it's weak in the secure and firewall
departments,,, otherwise a cool thing.

Old May 6th 04, 05:21 PM
Noël

"bumtracks" wrote in message
| more or less,,, no pc required.
|
| The np28gusb becomes a stand alone webcam server once its webcam firmware
is
| loaded.
|
| It can be connected to 802.11b/g wirelessly,,, or patch cabled to a
| router. or cross over cabled to a pc.
|
| Basicly with the firmware installed it appears to become just another wifi
| network client --- A usb-webcam plugs directly into apparently either usb
| port. Looks like it will support two camera's but only one will view at
any
| one time. Type in the url and it presents you with a web page and a
search
| for cam button,,, then appears a pop up window giving you a list of the
| webcams to choose from. It does WDS so I guess you can have an infinite
| number of seperate NP26gusb wirelessly on its wds network functioning as
| webcam servers and/or routers.
|
| You will access the webcam remotely from any network computer just as you
| would access any networked pc. No webcam program needed on any computer.
|
| np26g-usb once loaded with camera firmware contains the more or less
generic
| webcam driver and gives you webpage access to the video and webcam
controls
| ... probably most would add a password for controls.
|
| I'm speculating on how it all works as I dont have a supported camera to
| fool around with. They have almost zero documentation that I can find.
| I have loaded the cam firmware and fiddled,,, supprised me as I unplugged
| the network cable feeding it after doing a VNC firmware change from
routerAP
| to CamServer and my wifi laptop channel switched over and was taking to
| t - it had become a repeater or wireless AP and networked the laptop
| wirelessy through my di624a dlink wifi router. As a router it runs to
| the beat of a different drummer,,, has features that make it a not your
| everyday normal router - it's weak in the secure and firewall
| departments,,, otherwise a cool thing.

Interesting!.. Thanks for the info.

Noël

--
http://webcam.kijk.info
http://www.resize2mail.com

Old May 6th 04, 06:06 PM
Tony Sutton

"Jakkov" wrote in message
m...

I'll have a baby in 5 months and I'm looking for a good wireless
camera to see the baby when I'm not in home.

Whoa, whoa, you're going leave the baby alone in the house when you're not
at home?

--

- Tony Sutton
- http://www.hyperboard.co.uk - The Biggest Message Board!

Old May 7th 04, 02:48 PM
Ron Bandes

This is a poor application of a wireless camera. These devices are not
secure. Anyone parked in front of your house with a wireless receiver can
see when your baby is alone in the room. Use a wired camera, and secure the
web-site. Use strong passwords and change them every month. If possible,
require an encrypted VPN tunnel.

Ron Bandes

"Si Ballenger" wrote in message
On Thu, 6 May 2004 18:06:30 +0100, "Tony Sutton"
wrote:

"Jakkov" wrote in message
om...

I'll have a baby in 5 months and I'm looking for a good wireless
camera to see the baby when I'm not in home.

Whoa, whoa, you're going leave the baby alone in the house when you're

not
at home?

Read what was said. He didn't say anything about leaving a baby
alone at home.

Old May 7th 04, 04:39 PM
Walter Roberson

In article ,
Ron Bandes RunderscoreBandes @yah00.com wrote:
:This is a poor application of a wireless camera. These devices are not
:secure. Anyone parked in front of your house with a wireless receiver can
:see when your baby is alone in the room.

Your implication is that wireless cameras do not support WEP or WPA ?
--
Are we *there* yet??
Old May 7th 04, 05:05 PM
bumtracks

The wireless voyeur knows if its wireless, he can simply grab a four channel
reciever and watch whatever goes on.
See this a lot lately -- seems most people are familiar with the wireless
nanny and security type cams and many become bold snoopers on their
neighbors. Amazingly, most of those very same snoopers don't have any idea
what wifi networking is - when they see wireless cam, they only know and
think nanny stuff and their ease of intrusion.

Old May 7th 04, 05:08 PM
Tony Sutton

"Si Ballenger" wrote in message

Read what was said. He didn't say anything about leaving a baby
alone at home.

Well, his worded sounded like he was going to do that.

--

- Tony Sutton
- http://www.hyperboard.co.uk - The Biggest Message Board!
Down with hostility, dammit!!!

Old May 7th 04, 10:31 PM
bumtracks

Well, his worded sounded like he was going to do that.

Nothing in the origional wording below to indicate the baby would
be alone. Your imigination worked that up.

I'll have a baby in 5 months and I'm looking for a good wireless
camera to see the baby when I'm not in home.

Whoa, whoa, you're going leave the baby alone in the house when you're

not
at home?

As a guy that worked mostly in other peoples offices , one afternoon I was
nearby and went home early, early for me at least - probably close to 5.
An 81 yr old neighbor lady rapidly approached and very seriously/sternly
said; 'Your new baby's been crying all day long and no one has been home'.

At the time I had a fairly new daughter, probably one + yrs old... and
an Amazon parrot about the same age.
Had to walk that neighbor all through the house with her looking in every
nook & cranny - her day long concerns didn't seem to want to believe a
parrot could cry so loud and with such expression. And of course, to the
parrot `mums the word when guests first arrive.

Old May 8th 04, 06:43 AM
Ron Bandes

That's right. Wireless cameras like the X10 are not WiFi, and so they don't
have WEP or WPA. They simply use the same frequency band. The 2.4 GHz
band, called ISM (Industrial, Scientific, Medical), is used for many
purposes besides WiFi: cordless phones, baby monitors, microwave ovens,
wireless cameras.

Ron Bandes, CCNP, CTT+, etc.