alternative to thermal pad

Old April 4th 14, 12:24 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
par k

Default alternative to thermal pad

I have dell inspiron n4010 laptop that has thermal pad on gpu. it is old and torn and i want to replace it.i am based in Mumbai and it is not available in my country. is there any alternative available ? Can i put thermal paste instead?

Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance
Old April 4th 14, 12:51 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Bob_Villa

Some people use a copper shim or copper coin: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9w-khwIj3U
Old April 6th 14, 05:19 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
par k

Thanks for your reply Bob;I put a thick layer of thermal paste for the time being(on the .5 mm space between heat sink and gpu), it will take me few days before i go hunting for copper shim . now the question is how to measure gpu temperature to check if its temperature is within range. i installed gpu-z but it does not show me gpu temperature. i just installed a new hdd and it is too hot to touch(due to installation process?)
earlier hdd died (mostly due to overheating laptop).though temperatures do come down with laptop cooling fan.

can temperature of onboard intel hd graphics gpu be checked at all?my cpu temperatures are withing range but i don't want to take chances.

thanks in advance

Old April 6th 14, 10:33 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Bill[_15_]

On Sun, 6 Apr 2014 09:19:28 -0700 (PDT), par k wrote:

Thanks for your reply Bob;I put a thick layer of thermal paste for the time being(on the .5 mm space between heat sink and gpu), it will take me few days before i go hunting for copper shim . now the question is how to measure gpu temperature to check if its temperature is within range. i installed gpu-z but it does not show me gpu temperature. i just installed a new hdd and it is too hot to touch(due to installation process?)
earlier hdd died (mostly due to overheating laptop).though temperatures do come down with laptop cooling fan.

can temperature of onboard intel hd graphics gpu be checked at all?my cpu temperatures are withing range but i don't want to take chances.

thanks in advance

There are a number of free tools that can help you monitor your GPU
temp. If you google, you should find something specific to your card.
I have a nvidia gpu and have been using a gadget called "GPU Monitor".
http://www.techspot.com/downloads/5716-gpu-monitor.html

IF you have ATI, I don't have a link but there are similar gadgets.

A more generic, but not dynamic, tool is cpuid's "HWMonitor".
www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.htmlý

Glad you posted your thread. I have an e6410 that's been running really
hot (it shut itself down). So far, I've pulled the heatsink/fan;
cleaned out all the dust (there wasn't much). I used a thick layer of
artic silver ceramic 2 on the cpu, gpu, and chipset. It helped-- the
system now runs without shutting down; but still seems awful hot, and
I'm not sure if it;'s running at full seed. GPU is 55-65C at "idle",
then 80-90 C, doing normal stuff. I've seen it hit 103-104C running
dell's video diagnostic. I'm going to try some copper shims - see if
maybe that will help things run cooler.

--
Email address is a Spam trap.
Old April 6th 14, 11:53 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Bill[_15_]

On Sun, 6 Apr 2014 17:33:54 -0400, Bill wrote:

let me add that HWMonitor can report your hard disk temps too.

--
Email address is a Spam trap.
Old April 7th 14, 04:17 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ben Myers[_4_]

On Sunday, April 6, 2014 12:19:28 PM UTC-4, par k wrote:
Thanks for your reply Bob;I put a thick layer of thermal paste for the time being(on the .5 mm space between heat sink and gpu), it will take me few days before i go hunting for copper shim . now the question is how to measure gpu temperature to check if its temperature is within range. i installed gpu-z but it does not show me gpu temperature. i just installed a new hdd and it is too hot to touch(due to installation process?)

earlier hdd died (mostly due to overheating laptop).though temperatures do come down with laptop cooling fan.

can temperature of onboard intel hd graphics gpu be checked at all?my cpu temperatures are withing range but i don't want to take chances.

thanks in advance

Give MSI's AfterBurner a look. Not only does it monitor GPU temperature (assuming that sensors are present), but also allows you to overclock a GPU, which you do not want to do. However, you can UNDERCLOCK a GPU, running it and its memory at slower speeds, cutting down electricity consumed, thereby reducing heat. It certainly is a good tool to have for ANY nVidia GPUs, long prone to running hot. It also works with AMD/ATI GPUs. It might also work with an Intel GPU. I do not know, because I have not tried it.
Old April 8th 14, 10:44 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
par k

thanks for suggestions everyone. i will try each of these out and get back.
between my hdd temperature never goes down below 48 deg, during installation it was 51 deg celcius.
i think it is high, any suggestions to cut it down? I am using a laptop cooling pad with fan,can anything else be done?

Also got a thermal pad from ebay with Thermal conductivity:
1.0 w/m-k . now i read somewhere it should be atleast 4-5. is copper shim better alternative?

Thanks in advance
Old April 10th 14, 07:51 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
par k

hi Bill,
cpuid hwmonitor doesnot read my gpu temp. between you said u applied thick thermal paste, please apply as thin as possible just enough to hide your cpu's color no more thick than a sheet of paper or even less. Only then it will provide efficent cooling , you will see temps come down by about 20 deg celcius as opposed to thick layer. tried it myself on my desktop. even the dried paste prevents cooling but so does a very thick paste. this is why i am concerned about my gpu since .5 mm may be thick but unable to see the temperature...

would like to read it and try various solutions - copper shim etc, thermal pad etc, keep the best.
Old April 11th 14, 12:48 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
par k

Msi burner doesn't work either. it doesnot show any chip in gpu section and does not allow me to apply min settings at startup...
it doesnot show any system information (hardware/software) either.

can i assume if my cpu temps are in range so are my gpu temps. looks like intel hd graphics on my board do not have sensors for monitoring temp.Now it becomes tricky for me to change between thermal pad and copper shim .