Reliability in the 3TB drives?

Old February 20th 11, 05:56 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
Postman Delivers

Default Reliability in the 3TB drives?

I wonder how good the reliability will be in a 3TB drive?

I have looked for good solid reviews and do not seem to locate much info
on the reliability of a 3 TB hard drive, other than they all overheat in
the current external hard drive enclosures just like the 1 and 2TB drives
that do not include a cooling mod or fan...

Currently It seems to be less expensive to purchase an external USB2 3TB
drive and open the case to put the large Sata drive into your desktop,
than to purchase a bare 3TB drive...

On sale these externals are about $160, that is about $57 a TB accounting
for sale tax...
http://www.jr.com/hitachi/pe/HIT_HXSDNB3001/

WD
http://preview.tinyurl.com/67c774p

Seagates Go Flex going for about $20 more. The go flex software is
useless in Linux, but it is still a bare drive after formatting &
removing from the case (or removing and formating is faster).

JR the postman
Old February 20th 11, 06:22 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
BillW50

In eb.com,
Postman Delivers typed on 20 Feb 2011 17:56:49 GMT:
... other than they all overheat in the current external hard drive
enclosures just like the 1 and 2TB drives that do not include a
cooling mod or fan...

Really? I have two Samsung Story 1.5TB external USB drives and there are
no heat problems at all. No fans either. Although they are 5400rpm
drives and they automatically power down the drive in 5 minutes if it
hasn't been accessed. And there is no way I know to override the
shutdown. Otherwise they are very nice drives. Probably not good to use
in a desktop computer though.

--
Bill
Gateway M465e ('06 era)