Ubuntu 9.1 on G6-400 Thanks!

Old November 12th 09, 09:34 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
Wettlesheim[_3_]

Default Ubuntu 9.1 on G6-400 Thanks!

I'd like to thank the people that gave great advice on installing Ubuntu 9.1
on my old G6-400, so far it is working well. My son had no problems
installing Ubuntu but, had a few problems with a realtek Ethernet card and
could not go online to download drivers for the ASUS WL-138G V-2 wireless
LAN PCI card we bought. After switching to a different Ethernet card he was
able to download the correct drivers for the Asus card.

Even though Gateway states that the maximum memory for my G6-400 is 384 mb
in 3 slots, I'm thinking of buying a memory stick of 256MB 100mz SDRAM DIMM
and switching into a slot so it would have a total of 512 of memory. The PC
serial # 0010770120, has been upgraded over the years with a Power Leap
1.4ghz overdrive kit, 128 ATI graphic card, Audigy Gamer sound card, 300
watt power supply, and the motherboard BIOS was upgraded too. Has anybody
tried adding more than 384mb of memory on a early G6-400? What is the
maximum that you added.?

Ron

Old November 12th 09, 10:07 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
Ben Myers[_2_]

Wettlesheim wrote:
[...]

Ron,

I'm pretty sure that the G6-400 has an Intel SE440BX or SE440-BX2
motherboard. Either one has the 440BX chipset, which supports up to 1GB
in a motherboard with 4 SDRAM memory slots. Yours has only 3, so the
max would be 768MB. But you need to get memory with low-density memory
chips, the memory cannot be ECC or buffered, must be garden variety
desktop memory. I doubt that PC133 memory would work, so get PC100.

Intel and 3COM (R.I.P.) Ethernet cards work best with most Linux
distros. Realtek is the cheap successor, favored by HP... Ben Myers
Old November 13th 09, 09:58 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
Wettlesheim[_3_]

"Ben Myers" wrote in message
Wettlesheim wrote:

SNIPPED for clarity

Even though Gateway states that the maximum memory for my G6-400 is 384 mb
in 3 slots, I'm thinking of buying a memory stick of 256MB 100mz SDRAM
DIMM and switching into a slot so it would have a total of 512 of memory.

Ron,

I'm pretty sure that the G6-400 has an Intel SE440BX or SE440-BX2
motherboard. Either one has the 440BX chipset, which supports up to 1GB
in a motherboard with 4 SDRAM memory slots. Yours has only 3, so the max
would be 768MB. But you need to get memory with low-density memory chips,
the memory cannot be ECC or buffered, must be garden variety desktop
memory. I doubt that PC133 memory would work, so get PC100.

Intel and 3COM (R.I.P.) Ethernet cards work best with most Linux distros.
Realtek is the cheap successor, favored by HP... Ben Myers

Thanks for the information.
Ron

Old November 14th 09, 12:17 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
gdp

Wettlesheim wrote:
[...]

I had one of these and filled it with 768 MB of low-density RAM. I
bought RAM that was rated PC133/PC100. As long as it has some rating
that is PC100, it should work in your motherboard.

George
Old November 22nd 09, 06:51 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
Wettlesheim[_3_]

"Ben Myers" wrote in message
Wettlesheim wrote:

SNIPPED for clarity

[...]

THANKS for the information. My son removed the meomory stick of 128MB from
slot 0 and swapped in a stick of 256 giving him a total of 512MB. He
noticed right away it is faster and I just ordered another stick of 256MB.
Ron

Old November 22nd 09, 07:12 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
Wettlesheim[_3_]

"gdp" wrote in message
Wettlesheim wrote:

SNIPPED for clarity

Even though Gateway states that the maximum memory for my G6-400 is 384 mb
in 3 slots, I'm thinking of buying a memory stick of 256MB 100mz SDRAM
DIMM and switching into a slot so it would have a total of 512 of memory.
The PC serial # 0010770120, has been upgraded over the years with a Power
Leap 1.4ghz overdrive kit, 128 ATI graphic card, Audigy Gamer sound card,
300 watt power supply, and the motherboard BIOS was upgraded too. Has
anybody tried adding more than 384mb of memory on a early G6-400? What
is the maximum that you added.?

Ron

I had one of these and filled it with 768 MB of low-density RAM. I bought
RAM that was rated PC133/PC100. As long as it has some rating that is
PC100, it should work in your motherboard.

George

Thanks for the information. My son added a stick of 256MB in slot zero
giving him a total of 512MB of memory, I just ordered another stick of
256MB off of Ebay, I'm curious how well it will work with 640 MB of memory.
Shortly after I bought the machine back in 1998, I priced ram for it and was
shocked how expensive it was, way over $100 for a stick of 125MB, today I
paid $13.95 for a 256MB stick of Kingston .
Ron

Gateway P-400, Ubuntu? Wettlesheim[_3_] Gateway Computers 10 November 3rd 09 02:06 PM
New Dell w/Ubuntu Bob Villa Dell Computers 47 July 6th 09 11:32 AM
Best buy for ubuntu HDI Homebuilt PC's 6 November 25th 08 11:19 AM
Ubuntu 520N only $379 Journey Dell Computers 1 June 1st 07 12:00 PM