Dell's Sorry History of Microphone/Soundcard Issue (Update)

Old November 22nd 05, 02:15 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,alt.comp.hardware,creative.products.sound_blaster.audigy

Default Dell's Sorry History of Microphone/Soundcard Issue (Update)

Note:

While the two cards may appear to be identical, they 'may' not be.

In the past, Dell has sometimes used Dell 'OEM' versions of the Creative
sound cards. I don't remember the details but they were different enough
that you had to get the drivers from Dell and not Ceative.

I seem to remember that if you looked at the part number on the sound card,
then went to Creative's web site and tried to look it up, it wasn't included
in thier list.

"Guess Who" wrote in message
It is the SAME exact card, except, the card I replaced it with is my
RETAIL version, so there was no redetection required - same driver
install. My card records fine, Dell's does not.

I never claimed to be an electronics expert, or recording engineer - but I
DO know about computers.

And just how, in your opinion, would a motherboard swap help me here?
Many people have this problem, and NONE that I have read about had this
issue resolved by replacing the motherboard, OR the soundcard.

"kony" wrote in message
On Sun, 20 Nov 2005 23:39:30 -0500, "Guess Who"
wrote:

I can attest to this. I have a 9100 with Audigy 2 ZS, and I too have to
SCREAM with the mic to my mouth to hear myself. I KNOW about computers,
and
build them, so I know what I am doing. I put my RETAIL SB Audigy 2 ZS in
the system, and the MIC input is FINE! How do you explain that?

If you can't figure out why the mic volume is low and
continue on talking with Dell about motherboard replacement,
I suggest that you do not know what you are doing in this
case. Very basic tools like a multimeter would go a long
way towards troubleshooting this.

If they are exactly the same card, AND you did not reinstall
or change any driver settings, AND WIndows did not re-PNP
the card, but just continued running as if the card had not
changed, AND you made no changes, just started recording,
(and I haven't left out some other detail- so far I have
only spend a few minutes on it, the system is not here) it
is an audio card malfunction. If any of the above was not
true, there are still those issues to examine. This is a
clear-cut process of elimination.

I contacted DELL, and of course, they sent a guy over with a new sound
card -- NO DIFFERENCE, and I even demonstrated the difference with the
DELL
Audigy and my retail Audigy 2, - made 2 files in Adobe Audition and
showed
the tech the noticeable difference in the wav representations, and he
commented on it.

Where all three cards exactly alike, visually? Same PCB,
etc?

Before he even got started I told him this was all a waste of time, and
when
he was done, he basically agreed with me. Next step will be a
motherboard
replacement, but I am not even going to bother. I've gone through too
many
stupid unrelated things for DELL to appease them, but I'm not going to do
it
anymore. They system is fine with my retail card, and I will leave it
in.

IF all of what you wrote is true, and you haven't left out
any relevant details, there is only one possible
resolution, a different sound card. WHY are you off on a
tangent discussing a motherboard replacement when all you
need is a sound card? No wonder you don't have working
sound, you need to clearly state the resolution to the
problem and if the tech can't see the logic you request
transfer to a supervisor.

Do you not know anyone on earth that has a PC so you can
check this sound card? There is not going to be a situation
where the card completely works except for mic input on one
motherboard, yet the same card's mic magically starts
working on another motherboard. Either the specific card is
bad, or it isn't. Either way, if all you need is mic input,
put down $9 on a sound card and be done with it already.

Old November 22nd 05, 02:32 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,alt.comp.hardware,creative.products.sound_blaster.audigy

Dell's boards are unique because they have a connector for the front panel
headphone jack. However, every Dell SoundBlaster since around 2001 that I
have used has happily handled Creative's drivers. The last one that
wouldn't was a SoundBlaster Live Value Digital in a Dimension 8100 under
Windows Me.

Tom

Old December 2nd 05, 10:15 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,alt.comp.hardware,creative.products.sound_blaster.audigy

wrote:

Class_Action classactionlaw1 AT yahoo DOT com wrote:

Bubbamike wrote:

Class_Action classactionlaw1 AT yahoo DOT com wrote:

What a troll !!!

Yes, I think you meet the definition perfectly.

Did you read this, bubba ???!!!

Doesn't matter what you write, the way you are approaching the issue
here is so akin to trolling that to differentiate it from any other
form of trolling is next to impossible.

I am not 'approaching' the issue. I am exposing Dell.
Have trouble comprehending this, bubba?
..

MICROPHONE=POOP (12/10/1999)
http://delltalk.us.dell.com/supportf...message.id=495

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD WILL SOMEONE PLEASSSSEEEE TELL ME
HOW TO GET MY MIC TO RECORD?!?!
..

Low volume microphone problem -DELL OEM Audigy 2 ZS soundcard
(10/21/2005)
http://delltalk.us.dell.com/supportf...ssage.id=61522

Apparently DELL conveniently chose to delete the thread of
all customers having the low volume microphone issue on their
newly shipped XPS Gen systems, entitled: Microphone Problems
Listing (10/14/05)

That is to me pretty much confirming the existence of the problem
but not taking the responsibility to address it. Shame on you!

Old December 3rd 05, 11:01 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,alt.comp.hardware,creative.products.sound_blaster.audigy

Bubbamike wrote:

Class_Action classaction357 AT yahoo DOT com wrote:

Anyway go ahead with a class action suit. You'll wind up with a coupon
good for $50 off a Dell computer and the lawyers will make millions.

(Do you suppose Dell's lawyers also get paid by $50 coupon?)

Maybe it will stop Dell from jerking around the customers?

Live Value Soundcard: Mic record level too low (1/29/2002)
http://delltalk.us.dell.com/supportf...ssage.id=21877

so i contacted Dell tech support they advised me to uninstall the
soundcard and reinstall it. I did that and it made no difference.

They told me to uninstall the windows sound recorder and
reinstall it, that made no difference either,

they told me to uninstall the whole of windows multimedia
I did that and it made no difference

Microphone - weak input, out of ideas... (8/29/05)
http://delltalk.us.dell.com/supportf...ssage.id=60002

Dell tech support insisted I reformat my hard disk
and reinstall everything.

I am amazed (& frustrated) with the numerous "hoops" that Dell Tech
Support had me jump through over 12 days without ever admitting a
problem.

Old December 3rd 05, 12:55 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,alt.comp.hardware,creative.products.sound_blaster.audigy

On Sat, 03 Dec 2005 04:01:52 -0700, Class_Action
wrote:

Bubbamike wrote:

[...]

If you read the current posts in the Community Forums (the ones you
allege have been deleted) the problem has been solved. Download and
apply the latest drivers from Creative.

The mic on my Audigy in my XPS 600 works fine now.

Dave
Old December 3rd 05, 01:29 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,alt.comp.hardware,creative.products.sound_blaster.audigy

wrote:

If you read the current posts in the Community Forums (the ones you
allege have been deleted) the problem has been solved. Download and
apply the latest drivers from Creative.

The mic on my Audigy in my XPS 600 works fine now.

Dave

Oh no, you've ruined the Troll's day.

Old December 3rd 05, 04:03 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,alt.comp.hardware,creative.products.sound_blaster.audigy

On Fri, 02 Dec 2005 15:15:13 -0700, Class_Action
wrote:

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD WILL SOMEONE PLEASSSSEEEE TELL ME
HOW TO GET MY MIC TO RECORD?!?!
.

Have you tried turning your speaker volume up some?
Old December 3rd 05, 04:09 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,alt.comp.hardware,creative.products.sound_blaster.audigy

wrote:

Dell tech support insisted I reformat my hard disk
and reinstall everything.

I am amazed (& frustrated) with the numerous "hoops" that Dell Tech
Support had me jump through over 12 days without ever admitting a
problem.

They were probably hoping you'd stop acting like a loon and
just follow their directions, so they kep repeating them.

Did you ever actually DO what they insisted?

When you initially bought the system, surely you tried it
out, made sure it was working? When it was new, Dell
would've probably issued you a credit for the sound card.

Did you even investigate enough to find out the difference
between the two sound chips on the Dell vs the retail card?
I suggested you look into these details earlier but you just
keep chasing your tail so no wonder you never get anywbere.
Old December 3rd 05, 10:06 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,alt.comp.hardware,creative.products.sound_blaster.audigy

kony (Troll) wrote:

Class_Action classaction357 AT yahoo DOT com wrote:

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD WILL SOMEONE PLEASSSSEEEE TELL ME
HOW TO GET MY MIC TO RECORD?!?!

Have you tried turning your speaker volume up some?

WEAK MICROPHONE + AUDIGY 2 PROBLEM - TRY THIS... (9/18/05)
http://delltalk.us.dell.com/supportf...ssage.id=60572

I think I have seen every single volume control slider that exists
in the system, XP, Creative, etc.

I have been through every switch, slider and control with
XPS Advanced support at least twice. This isn't a user error.

Old December 3rd 05, 10:07 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,alt.comp.hardware,creative.products.sound_blaster.audigy

kony (Troll) wrote:

Class_Action classaction357 AT yahoo DOT com wrote:

Dell tech support insisted I reformat my hard disk
and reinstall everything.

I am amazed (& frustrated) with the numerous "hoops" that Dell Tech
Support had me jump through over 12 days without ever admitting a
problem.

They were probably hoping you'd stop acting like a loon and
just follow their directions, so they kep repeating them.

Did you ever actually DO what they insisted?

Do you suppose even the Dell onsite technician does not follow what
Dell tech insisted?

Live Value Soundcard: Mic record level too low (1/29/2002)
http://delltalk.us.dell.com/supportf...ssage.id=21877

Well... technician came and installed new card (same type SB Live
Value! 512V CT4780).... He tried uninstalling, reinstalling drivers
etc.... all the same stuff I have tried before.... still no
better....

When you initially bought the system, surely you tried it
out, made sure it was working? When it was new, Dell
would've probably issued you a credit for the sound card.

Did you even investigate enough to find out the difference
between the two sound chips on the Dell vs the retail card?
I suggested you look into these details earlier but you just
keep chasing your tail so no wonder you never get anywbere.

SB Audigy 2 ZS (WDM) DRIVERS!!
http://delltalk.us.dell.com/supportf...ssage.id=59496

Why not use the drivers from Creative's site?

Many of us have tried installing the updated drivers from
Creative's site without success.

We get an error message saying that the update program
cannot find an Audigy 2ZS installed in our systems.