This is for Ben

Old November 12th 10, 10:47 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
Annie Woughman

Default This is for Ben

For some reason I can't find the HP newsgroup, but I know Ben reads this
one. Since I upgraded my computers to Windows 7, I am having trouble with
my HP Laserjet 1300. I have downloaded the latest drives and it prints
OK--ONE PAGE AT A TIME. This is especially annoying if I am using the
scanner to make copies of something. It doesn't matter how many copies I
choose in the program I am using, Word, copy, whatever, only one page at a
time will print. A multiple page document will print all pages, but only
one copy. Since the scanner has to then rescan the document instead of the
printer just cranking out the 20 copies, this is horribly slow. Do you have
any suggestions?
TIA

Old November 13th 10, 12:19 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
Ben Myers[_2_]

On 11/12/2010 5:47 PM, Annie Woughman wrote:
For some reason I can't find the HP newsgroup, but I know Ben reads this
one. Since I upgraded my computers to Windows 7, I am having trouble
with my HP Laserjet 1300. I have downloaded the latest drives and it
prints OK--ONE PAGE AT A TIME. This is especially annoying if I am using
the scanner to make copies of something. It doesn't matter how many
copies I choose in the program I am using, Word, copy, whatever, only
one page at a time will print. A multiple page document will print all
pages, but only one copy. Since the scanner has to then rescan the
document instead of the printer just cranking out the 20 copies, this is
horribly slow. Do you have any suggestions?
TIA

I gather that the printer behaved normally with Windows XP?

If you can't solve the printer problem, scan the documents to a PDF and
print from there. This will work better if you need to make multiple
copies. If your scanner software does not have the option to scan to a
PDF, download and install PDFCreator (free open source) and "print" to
the "PDF Creator" printer. Thereafter, PDFCreator will ask you for a
file name to save the PDF.

There is a Windows 7 Postscript driver for the 1300. Actually, it is a
"universal" driver. After verifying that your printer has PostScript
capabilities, install this driver. I have found PostScript more
reliable for all manner of printing than HP's PCL drivers. No offense
to HP, but that's the way it is.

Also, the driver on the HP web site may be more up to date than the one
that came on the Win 7 DVD, and it may even fix this problem.

The HP newsgroup is comp.sys.hp.hardware ... Ben Myers
Old November 13th 10, 06:54 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
Annie Woughman

"Ben Myers" wrote in message
On 11/12/2010 5:47 PM, Annie Woughman wrote:
For some reason I can't find the HP newsgroup, but I know Ben reads this
one. Since I upgraded my computers to Windows 7, I am having trouble
with my HP Laserjet 1300. I have downloaded the latest drives and it
prints OK--ONE PAGE AT A TIME. This is especially annoying if I am using
the scanner to make copies of something. It doesn't matter how many
copies I choose in the program I am using, Word, copy, whatever, only
one page at a time will print. A multiple page document will print all
pages, but only one copy. Since the scanner has to then rescan the
document instead of the printer just cranking out the 20 copies, this is
horribly slow. Do you have any suggestions?
TIA

I gather that the printer behaved normally with Windows XP?

Yes, two of the computers were XP and one was Vista, all worked fine with
the HP.

If you can't solve the printer problem, scan the documents to a PDF and
print from there. This will work better if you need to make multiple
copies. If your scanner software does not have the option to scan to a
PDF, download and install PDFCreator (free open source) and "print" to the
"PDF Creator" printer. Thereafter, PDFCreator will ask you for a file
name to save the PDF.

There is a Windows 7 Postscript driver for the 1300. Actually, it is a
"universal" driver. After verifying that your printer has PostScript
capabilities, install this driver. I have found PostScript more reliable
for all manner of printing than HP's PCL drivers. No offense to HP, but
that's the way it is.

I had updated the drivers to the universal driver, but I hadn't tried the
PostScript. That didn't do the trick either. I have found that if I go
into the Printer Properties and choose the number of copies there before a
big print job it will print the correct amount of copies, but what a PIA to
have to remember that each time (especially since I have to remember to go
back in and change it back to 1 when I am done. Also, I have discovered
that is much less reliable about printing correctly for a custom size paper,
such as a card envelope. It is obvious that the printer isn't "getting the
message" from the computer. We have an HP Color Laserjet CP1518ni that
works fine with Windows 7.

Also, the driver on the HP web site may be more up to date than the one
that came on the Win 7 DVD, and it may even fix this problem.

Yes, the ones I tried today were dated September 2010, still no good.

The HP newsgroup is comp.sys.hp.hardware ... Ben Myers

I thought it was something like that, but apparently my ISP no longer
carries it, that is why I couldn't find it. Kind of strange because they
used to. Oh well, I'm just glad they still provide the newsgroups, a lot of
ISPs are dropping them completely.

Thank you for the suggestions.

Old January 31st 11, 07:04 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
Postman Delivers

On Fri, 12 Nov 2010 22:54:09 -0800, Annie Woughman wrote:

I thought it was something like that, but apparently my ISP no longer
carries it, that is why I couldn't find it. Kind of strange because
they used to. Oh well, I'm just glad they still provide the newsgroups,
a lot of ISPs are dropping them completely.

* * *
Annie Woughman,

Yes I had to subscribe to a Premium News Service to continue with news
groups, I reduced my Internet speeds, money I was paying to the local
Cable company and subscribed to Astraweb for $13 a month ($39 billed for
three months Unlimited service)...

I can only vote with my pocketbook, and that was my "stick it to the man"
solution when Cox Communications dropped newsgroups entirely. The sad
part there was nation wide Newsgroup discussion by users on Cox's price,
service and internet speeds, along with the failure of their email
service that is never posted on their service outage website.

Nor is it discussed as freely on DSLreports as it was on the newsgroups...
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/coxhsi

JR

Pinging ben JR the Postman Gateway Computers 1 July 31st 08 01:06 AM
Hi Ben ! Robert E. Watts Packard Bell Computers 0 January 8th 07 01:19 PM
BEN metronid Compaq Computers 0 March 27th 06 03:06 AM
Ben Pope Q MrGrumpy Asus Motherboards 2 April 13th 05 02:05 PM
One More Question Ben... Smith Gateway Computers 1 March 23rd 05 11:46 PM