When is the next Intel cpu price drop?

Old September 10th 03, 01:57 AM
Tony Hill

Default When is the next Intel cpu price drop?

On Tue, 09 Sep 2003 12:02:39 -0700, Cyber Chum
wrote:
I've searched Google and can come up with current prices easy enough
but am looking for an estimate on the next Intel price drop. Anyone
know?

For which chip? Intel no longer has single big price drops, but they
will occasionally reduce the price of some of their processors from
time to time. You don't see nearly the effect at the retail level
that you used to though. Here's a link to some Intel roadmap/pricing
info (some of which may not be 100% accurate) from The Inquirer:

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=4269

--------------
Tony Hill
hilla underscore 20 at yahoo dot ca
Old September 10th 03, 01:39 PM
chrisv

wrote:

I've searched Google and can come up with current prices easy enough
but am looking for an estimate on the next Intel price drop. Anyone
know?

When Prescott comes out, there should be a nice drop in the current
chips...

Old September 10th 03, 07:29 PM
chrisv

On Wed, 10 Sep 2003 11:15:11 -0700, Cyber Chum
wrote:

On this day of our lord, Wed, 10 Sep 2003 07:39:10 -0500, chrisv
quilled:

When Prescott comes out, there should be a nice drop in the current
chips...

That's not due out 'til 2004 though. I just found this though at the
Inquirer so it looks like next month we should see a price drop
besides the one when Prescott is released.

I'm not convinced that the paragraph below justifies the statement you
made above. Introduce and substitute are two different things. Got a
link?

WHILE THE NEXT MAJOR desktop price revision for Pentium 4s comes on
October the 26th, as we've detailed before, there will be a major
price shift again in February next year as Intel begins to substitute
the current Northwood generation of chips to Prescott.

Old September 11th 03, 06:23 AM
Tony Hill

wrote:
On this day of our lord, Wed, 10 Sep 2003 07:39:10 -0500, chrisv
quilled:
When Prescott comes out, there should be a nice drop in the current
chips...

That's not due out 'til 2004 though. I just found this though at the
Inquirer so it looks like next month we should see a price drop
besides the one when Prescott is released.

WHILE THE NEXT MAJOR desktop price revision for Pentium 4s comes on
October the 26th, as we've detailed before, there will be a major
price shift again in February next year as Intel begins to substitute
the current Northwood generation of chips to Prescott.

Nope, Prescott comes out on October 26th, but only at 3.2 and 3.4GHz
(or something similar to that). It won't start replacing the slower
speed Northwoods (probably down to about 2.8GHz, maybe even 2.6GHz)
for some time though. The initial run of Prescott chips will only be
high-speed models.

--------------
Old September 12th 03, 01:43 PM
chrisv

On Thu, 11 Sep 2003 13:33:47 -0700, Cyber Chum
wrote:

On Wed, 10 Sep 2003 13:29:09 -0500, chrisv
wrote:

I'm not convinced that the paragraph below justifies the statement you
made above. Introduce and substitute are two different things. Got a
link?

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=11352

This clearly shows Prescott 3.2 coming out Oct 26, making you wrong.

Old September 15th 03, 02:06 PM
chrisv

On Fri, 12 Sep 2003 12:14:15 -0700, Bottom Feeder
wrote:

On Fri, 12 Sep 2003 07:43:03 -0500, chrisv
wrote:

This clearly shows Prescott 3.2 coming out Oct 26, making you wrong.

I don't know why you are poking your nose up my ass but I said that

Because, dorky, you claimed that Prescott is "not due out 'til 2004",
and when I asked for a link supporting your claim, you provided,
without comment, a link that did NOT support your claim.

A retraction of what you said would have been appropriate.

Old September 16th 03, 04:40 PM
2Maximas

You can wait yourself to death. I've seen people not buy until the next
price drop, until they have waited YEARS!, just decide what you want and buy
it! It will keep going down, just don't look at it anymore and enjoy your
new processor!
Price drops will continue to occur forever, how long will you wait?

"Cyber Chum" wrote in message
I've searched Google and can come up with current prices easy enough
but am looking for an estimate on the next Intel price drop. Anyone
know?

---

Old September 19th 03, 05:54 AM
Tony Hill

On Thu, 18 Sep 2003 12:37:51 -0700, Brian Jones
wrote:
I can wait one month. Once I thought like you and ordered a cpu on a
Friday and it cost me $900.00 CAD, on Monday there was an Intel price
drop and it went down to $500.50 CAD. Luckily the company I bought it
from where good enough to give it to me at the new price and refund my
credit card. If I had been paying attention to the market and Intel's
road map then that would never have happened. A fool and his money are
soon parted.

Note that you aren't going to see ANYTHING like that price drop these
days. Usually you can expect about a 5% reduction in retail price
around the time that Intel lower's their prices. If you are lucky,
you might see a 10-15% drop, but that's about it. The market has
changed considerably in the past 4 years or so (basically since AMD
brought out the Athlon).

Old September 19th 03, 01:29 PM
chrisv

On Thu, 18 Sep 2003 12:28:58 -0700, Cyber Scum
wrote:

How's this instead of a retraction? F

Idiot. *plonk*