Safe to store external HD in bank safe deposit box?

Old December 28th 04, 08:36 PM
Danny Kewl

Default Safe to store external HD in bank safe deposit box?

I have a Western Digital External firewire 120 GB hard drive that I keep all
my documents/important data/mp3's/backup copies of app.'s, etc. I just use
my PC's built in hard drive for the OS and needed app.'s. I may be going on
vacation out of state for a few weeks soon. I'm worried about burglars or
fire. Can I just disconnect the whole external hard drive and store the
drive in a bank safe deposit box? Is that practical or will it sitting there
make it loose data as it's not hooked up to anything? Do I have to worry
about any magnetic fields wiping the data out? If not practical, other
alternatives? Stuff on the drive is very private, so I don't want to leave
it with a person. I also want to store some CD roms with it, will probably
need a 10" by 10" box at least. Thanks.

Old December 28th 04, 08:53 PM
Quaoar

Danny Kewl wrote:
I have a Western Digital External firewire 120 GB hard drive that I
keep all my documents/important data/mp3's/backup copies of app.'s,
etc. I just use my PC's built in hard drive for the OS and needed
app.'s. I may be going on vacation out of state for a few weeks soon.
I'm worried about burglars or fire. Can I just disconnect the whole
external hard drive and store the drive in a bank safe deposit box?
Is that practical or will it sitting there make it loose data as it's
not hooked up to anything? Do I have to worry about any magnetic
fields wiping the data out? If not practical, other alternatives?
Stuff on the drive is very private, so I don't want to leave it with
a person. I also want to store some CD roms with it, will probably
need a 10" by 10" box at least. Thanks.

No problem. Wrap the drive in some anti-static plastic or paper and
place in a cardboard box. It will be safe. OTOH, if the data is so
important, you should purchase a second drive to back up the working
drive and also write the data to DVD.

Old December 29th 04, 05:31 AM
John Smithe

"Quaoar" wrote in newsPCdnbqtNbN6WkzcRVn-
:

No problem. Wrap the drive in some anti-static plastic or paper and
place in a cardboard box.

I'd avoid paper. The anti-static is a good suggestion.
Old December 29th 04, 06:44 AM
Danny Kewl

I don't know what the hell is going on, but it looks like someone is
stealing mine (and Quaoar's) online identity. I did not post the jibberish
in the one post. I will report this to Abuse.

DannyKewl

Old December 29th 04, 02:55 PM
Kevin S. Wilson

On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 01:52:57 -0500, "Danny Kewl"
wrote:

Someone is using my online identity to post bogus posts in alt.comp.hardware

You are responding to a piece of software designed to flood
news.admin.net-abuse.email with off-topic posts. Most of these
forgeries have follow-ups set to news.admin.net-abuse.email, which is
where your reply appeared. Please stop replying, as you are only
helping this Net abuser disrupt news.admin.net-abuse.email.

--
Kevin S. Wilson
Tech Writer at a university somewhere in Idaho
Old December 29th 04, 09:27 PM
Danny Kewl

Thanks Kevin. I figured news.admin.net-abuse.email was where to go to
complain and report people forging your name, but now I do see the ".email"
at the end. What is the proper source to report this to? Also, thanks to the
legit posters to my thread. Thanks,

Dan