Please recommend a printer used only occasionally

Old September 20th 03, 02:10 AM

Default Please recommend a printer used only occasionally

I've been through more ink jet printers that I care to think about.
All have become useless after getting clogged with ink from lack of
use. I use my inkjet maybe twice a month for the occasional photo
printing. I use my b&w laserjet for everything else.

Is there an ink jet printer someone can recommend that continues to
work under these conditions. I've pretty much written off Epsons. I
don't even mind paying megabucks for the ink cartridges. They should
last years with the little use I would be giving them. I just want it
to work well after a long non-use.

Maybe there is no such species of printer. But I thought I'd ask.

Thanks
Old September 20th 03, 03:03 AM
john

I've no clogging problems with my epson even if i don't use it for 2 - 3
months, but anyway i've since replaced it, because i think i damaged the
print head when i started using OEM ink. i was wondering if the clogging is
due to the humidity of the area...

My replacement is a canon. from previous threads, it seems that canon does
not have problems with clogging. but if clogging does happen the print head
is replaceable by the user.

Old September 20th 03, 04:54 PM
AdMan

I've had an HP 895C color inkjet for four years. I only use it for color
printouts (about 2x a month). For the rest I use an HP 4L laser printer.
This has worked great for me and I haven't had any problems with ink drying
out. I turn off the inkjet and keep it covered with a dustcover when not in
use.

Old September 20th 03, 06:22 PM
Charlie

I have a laser printer that I use for practically everything. When I
want something in color, I send it to my Canon i850, which is in
standby all the time. It's never failed to make a perfect print, even
when inactive for a month. I'd not hesitate to recommend it for
occasional use.
--
Charlie Hoffpauir
If you really want to reply via email, my valid
Old September 20th 03, 11:34 PM
Jdunn

If you use it infrequently, stay away from Epsons!
I say that and I have several of them and love them,
but I use them a lot. My son on the other hand is
an infrequent user and had lots of ink clog problems.
I got him an HP 970 and no more problems.

Except - nearly all manufacturers state that you
should use up the ink in a cartridge in 6 months.
The ink evaporates and dries. So you will be
replacing cartridges without using them up.

Old September 21st 03, 10:06 AM
AndyW

"Jdunn" wrote in message m...
If you use it infrequently, stay away from Epsons!
I say that and I have several of them and love them,
but I use them a lot. My son on the other hand is
an infrequent user and had lots of ink clog problems.

How does he un-clog it?
I've got an Epson Stylus Colour which won't print in black despite putting it through multiple cleaning cycles. And a new
cartridge.
Andy

Old September 22nd 03, 11:09 PM

Yeah, epson stylus. After 3 weeks of non use mine showed lots of
stripes/lines on usage, So I put in a new epson brand cartridge and
ran the head cleaning util -- hold on to your seat -- 25 times, and it
still didn't clear up.
This (of course) happened 1 year and 1 week after purchase.

And while I'm on the phone... why is it that the reviews of printers
in the computer mags never factor in the cost of cartridges, or as in
my case, the ability to print well after weeks of inactivity. It seems
to me that these are critical issues in guaging the quality of an ink
jet.

On Sun, 21 Sep 2003 10:06:22 +0100, "AndyW"
wrotF:

Old September 23rd 03, 12:14 AM
Safetymom123

I have owned many Epson's and never had a problem with clogging. Are you
sure that you followed the instructions in the manual. Do you turn the
printer off or leave it on all the time? I am sure you will write and tell
me that you will never own an Epson again. Good luck with your future
printer purchase but many of us have had many years of clog free printing
with our Epson's.

wrote in message
Yeah, epson stylus. After 3 weeks of non use mine showed lots of
stripes/lines on usage, So I put in a new epson brand cartridge and
ran the head cleaning util -- hold on to your seat -- 25 times, and it
still didn't clear up.
This (of course) happened 1 year and 1 week after purchase.

And while I'm on the phone... why is it that the reviews of printers
in the computer mags never factor in the cost of cartridges, or as in
my case, the ability to print well after weeks of inactivity. It seems
to me that these are critical issues in guaging the quality of an ink
jet.

On Sun, 21 Sep 2003 10:06:22 +0100, "AndyW"
wrotF:

m...

Old September 23rd 03, 01:56 PM

You are correct; I have not kept the machine "on" continuously. I read
where this depletes toner rather quickly. Nonetheless, having to keep
a printer turned on is poor engineering if you ask me. I've read where
Epson's competitors have overcome the clog problem by designing their
machines so the heads park in a way that simply will not allow
clogging to happen.

NOWHERE in the user manual (in my case the Stylus 820) does it say to
keep the printer turned on all the time. If you have learned that this
is one way of keeping it unclogged, fine, but you are going above and
beyond what Epson tells you.

Yes, of course I will tell you that I will never own an Epson again.
What did you expect? Give them another chance at taking advantage of
me? No way.

But at least I'm fair. If the next printer I buy does the same thing,
I will not get another one of that brand either. It's the only way
consumers can get the companies to produce a quality product.

I'm glad that your and "many" others' Epson(s) have not clogged. But I
think you're the exception to the rule from my readings in this ng and
elsewhere. Consider yourself lucky.

On Mon, 22 Sep 2003 23:14:29 GMT, "Safetymom123"
wrotF:

I have owned many Epson's and never had a problem with clogging. Are you
sure that you followed the instructions in the manual. Do you turn the
printer off or leave it on all the time? I am sure you will write and tell
me that you will never own an Epson again. Good luck with your future
printer purchase but many of us have had many years of clog free printing
with our Epson's.

wrote in message
.. .
Yeah, epson stylus. After 3 weeks of non use mine showed lots of
stripes/lines on usage, So I put in a new epson brand cartridge and
ran the head cleaning util -- hold on to your seat -- 25 times, and it
still didn't clear up.
This (of course) happened 1 year and 1 week after purchase.

And while I'm on the phone... why is it that the reviews of printers
in the computer mags never factor in the cost of cartridges, or as in
my case, the ability to print well after weeks of inactivity. It seems
to me that these are critical issues in guaging the quality of an ink
jet.

On Sun, 21 Sep 2003 10:06:22 +0100, "AndyW"
wrotF:

om...

Old November 8th 03, 01:46 AM
Bob Kos

I have been through the same thing as you. I have added up all the money
I've wasted on P.O.S. inkjet printers. Forget the ridiculous ink costs!!
I'm talking about $1K just for printers and nothing to really show for it.
So I decided to get into a color laser instead. I lucked out & got a
freebie Tektronix Phaser 550. I'm making a small investment to bring it up
to top operating condition. For less money than my Epson Color 800 printer
cost me. When I'm up & running, I should get at least a few or five
THOUSAND pages out of it. And I can take as long as I want to print them.

That's what I suggest you look at. A color laser. At least take a look.

wrote in message
I've been through more ink jet printers that I care to think about.
All have become useless after getting clogged with ink from lack of
use. I use my inkjet maybe twice a month for the occasional photo
printing. I use my b&w laserjet for everything else.

Is there an ink jet printer someone can recommend that continues to
work under these conditions. I've pretty much written off Epsons. I
don't even mind paying megabucks for the ink cartridges. They should
last years with the little use I would be giving them. I just want it
to work well after a long non-use.

Maybe there is no such species of printer. But I thought I'd ask.

Thanks

USB Printer Problems Kevin Altizer General 9 July 24th 04 04:28 PM
Dell printer 960 gringo Dell Computers 5 April 9th 04 07:26 AM
Linux to emulate/act as a printer. Peteris Krumins General 0 December 26th 03 04:22 AM
Recommend Multi-function printer? Ben Blackmore Printers 3 August 20th 03 12:39 PM