Dell's Graphics Cards?

Old December 5th 03, 07:04 PM
Charlie Chapman

Default Dell's Graphics Cards?

Can anyone comment on the differences between the 128MB DDR GeForce FX 5200 and the 128MB
DDR ATI Radeon 9800 PRO graphic cards offered with Dell's systems? I'm establishing the
requirements for my new system and have to choose between these two cards. I don't do a
lot of gaming, mostly Internet, heavy use of MS Office products, some minor games -
nothing heavy, Genealogy researching, and some photo editing. I plan to get the 1901 Flat
Panel Monitor with the system and use DVI connection.
Thanks
Charlie
Charlie Chapman
NOTE: Remove "NOSPAM" to respond via Email
Old December 5th 03, 09:49 PM
Tweek

There is a huge performance difference as far as gaming goes, but if you
don't play any of the latest 3d games, the FX5200 should be fine for your
needs if it has the DVI connection you plan to use.

Old December 6th 03, 01:00 AM
Don Enderton

The big advantage of the FX5200 card is that it has no fan, so your computer
is quieter than it otherwise would be. Another advantage is that it is
cheaper. That is, you lose less of your investment if you decide later to
replace it, after your needs change.

- Don

Old December 6th 03, 04:24 AM
BWL

As far as Dell is concerned, there is very little difference.

I have an ATI 9700 Pro 128MB (a notch down from the 9800 Pro), and 2 months
back I needed to have my whole system replaced. The replacement unit had a
GeForce FX 5200 128MB, and regardless of what I told them or what specs I
quoted, they insisted the 5200 was as good or better than my ATI. I kept
the old one.

So, according to Dell, the 9800 is probably only slightly better.

According to the rest of the world, the 9800 will run circles around the
5700 (noticeable mostly in gaming).

Old December 6th 03, 04:25 AM
BWL

....I mean 5200!

Old December 6th 03, 05:54 AM
joe_tide

Since there is a premium of $140 for the 9800 Pro, I'd say Dell thinks the
9800 is a much better card. It must have been only that person you were
talking to who thought that.

Old December 6th 03, 10:29 AM
Tom Scales

I think you'll discover that the 9700 is more than just a notch below the
9800. I have no idea if it is comparable to the nVidia they gave you and I
agree they should not have, but I don't think the comparison to a 9800 Pro,
or even a 9800 (much slower) is valid.

Tom

Old December 6th 03, 01:15 PM
Joan

I purchased a refurbished 8300, w/ATI 9800 OEM,128 meg memory video
card. In the device manager, it was called 9800 OEM, until I updated
the drivers and now device manager calls it a 9800 PRO. :-) I was
apprehensive because I always preferred nVidia cards, until now. This
card blows all games away, including the MS Halo game which a large
number of people are having problems with. After seeing the retail
prices on the 9800 PRO, I'm a very happy camper.

Joan

Old December 6th 03, 01:28 PM
Tom Scales

Yes, I've heard that the ATI drivers 'change' the OEM card into a Pro card.
I suspect the close speed is still slower, but maybe not.

Either way, it's a great card. I have the retail 9800 Pro in my 4550 driving
two LCD panel displays. Just got it last weekend, replacing a 7500 and a
7000. Amazing difference in clarity.

Tom
newsDkAb.24067$dO2.11156@lakeread03...