Restart problem

Old June 21st 04, 02:20 AM
DJS0302

Default Restart problem

I have a strange restart problem. If I select shutdown the computer will
shutdown like it's suppose to but if I select restart the monitor will lose the
video feed and the computer will just hang. I have to press the reset button
to get it to restart. Now here's the background information. I have an Antec
case with a 300 watt power supply. I have an Intel D875PBZ motherboard with
512 MB memory operating in dual channel mode. I have an Intel 2.6 GHz
processor with hyperthreading turned on. I have Maxtor 30 GB hard drive, a
sony cd-rom drive, and a basic floppy drive. I also have a Creative Labs
Soundblaster 16 pci sound card. When I first built the machine I installed a
cheap Nvidia 2 pci video card. I installed Windows XP on it and the machine
would restart fine until I decide to install the video drivers that came with
the video card. That's when the restart problem started occuring. I removed
the video drivers and went back to the XP drivers and the restart problem went
away. So I figured the problem was with the video card's drivers. I then
decided to remove the Nvidia card and replace it with an AGP card, an ATI
Radeon 9000. Once again the machine would restart normally with the XP drivers
but would hang during a restart after the ATI drivers were installed. The
other day I started the computer in safe mode so I could go into the security
settings and give myself permission to view the system volume information
folder and when I selected restart the computer restarted just fine. When I
got back into normal Windows I selected restart again to see what would happen
and the computer restarted just fine. When I shutdown the computer and turned
it off and then went back a few hours later the restart problem was back.
Old June 21st 04, 03:47 AM
kony

On 21 Jun 2004 01:20:11 GMT, ospam (DJS0302) wrote:

I have a strange restart problem.

The carriage return on your keyboard has a problem too.

If I select shutdown the computer will
shutdown like it's suppose to but if I select restart the monitor will lose the
video feed and the computer will just hang.

Have you tried updating the board's BIOS?

I have to press the reset button
to get it to restart. Now here's the background information. I have an Antec
case with a 300 watt power supply. I have an Intel D875PBZ motherboard with
512 MB memory operating in dual channel mode. I have an Intel 2.6 GHz
processor with hyperthreading turned on. I have Maxtor 30 GB hard drive, a
sony cd-rom drive, and a basic floppy drive. I also have a Creative Labs
Soundblaster 16 pci sound card. When I first built the machine I installed a
cheap Nvidia 2 pci video card. I installed Windows XP on it and the machine
would restart fine until I decide to install the video drivers that came with
the video card. That's when the restart problem started occuring. I removed
the video drivers and went back to the XP drivers and the restart problem went
away. So I figured the problem was with the video card's drivers.

Sounds good so far, but it probably would've been better to use the newest
(or one of the more recent if newest isn't best) nVidia reference drivers.

I then
decided to remove the Nvidia card and replace it with an AGP card, an ATI
Radeon 9000. Once again the machine would restart normally with the XP drivers
but would hang during a restart after the ATI drivers were installed.

ATI's drivers have always been poor. Did you try updating to the newer
ATI drivers?

Start out with a standard VGA driver and install the appropriate DirectX
version, then the newer driver from the manufacturer. Consider that if
the original, early versions worked fine then there would never be updated
drivers except for specific gaming issues. Best is to never install the
old driver, nor the one Windows provides... only falling back to those old
versions if there is no other alternative.

The
other day I started the computer in safe mode so I could go into the security
settings and give myself permission to view the system volume information
folder and when I selected restart the computer restarted just fine. When I
got back into normal Windows I selected restart again to see what would happen
and the computer restarted just fine. When I shutdown the computer and turned
it off and then went back a few hours later the restart problem was back.

So have you isolated it any further? That is, what happens if you boot
normally, it hangs, you reset and boot normally, but after reaching
desktop, then try to reboot, NOT using the system in any way before you
do? You might also try disabling anything loading at boot... apps or
services that won't shut down that were added by 3rd party software.

An ATI oriented newsgroup might be more helpful in isolating specific
driver versions if some are better than others.

Old June 21st 04, 05:40 AM
DJS0302

Kony wrote
(DJS0302) wrote:

I have a strange restart problem.

The carriage return on your keyboard has a problem too.

Excuse me?
Old June 21st 04, 03:33 PM
*Vanguard*

DJS0302 said in :
[...]

300W might be a tad on the short side for power. Unplug the power from
your floppy drive and your CD-ROM drive and yank the Soundblaster card
and see if the problem goes away. Since you'll have the cover off, you
might want to check voltages before and after yanking the devices from
having power.

Don't bother using the video drivers that came with the video card.
They are probably over a year, or more, old. Download the latest
versions from the maker's web site.

Although Windows XP might include the drivers for the 875 chipset on the
Intel motherboard, you might want to try downloading what Intel
considers the latest chipset driver at
http://www.intel.com/design/motherbd/bz/bz_drive.htm. A BIOS update
might also be needed
(http://www.intel.com/design/motherbd/bz/bz_bios.htm). Don't know how
old is your motherboard; tech specs for motherboards at Intel's site
don't reveal when they were released. Check the BIOS is configured to
let the OS handle the ACPI funtions instead of the BIOS handling them.

*** Email domain = ".com" *AND* append "=NEWS=" to Subject.

This problem has baffled everyone... Nick G General 46 May 22nd 04 04:01 AM
Sound card problem Phileas General 10 May 9th 04 10:55 PM
Problem with freezing mouse, Windows Explorer Jon Davis General 3 April 3rd 04 04:06 AM
Restart problem with graphics card 00steve General 1 November 27th 03 01:26 PM
Freezing, lock up, unresponsive problem. James General 5 September 5th 03 02:54 PM