Packet writing and XP Home

Old January 5th 04, 05:10 AM
Brendan R. Wehrung

Default Packet writing and XP Home

I've had a new computer using XP Home a couple of days. I don't have any
Roxio software installed, but it appears that my computer will read files
from a CD-RW disc formatted on another computer using Direct CD under Win
'98.

I was under the impression that packet writing formats were
brand-specific. Do I have to install some version of Direct CD on my new
computer to format RW discs onto which I can copy files, or is there some
utility I should look for to do this within XP?

Included is a DVD/CD+RW drive (HP DVD Writer 300c) for which I can
apparently also use rewritable DVDs. The software which comes with my
Pavilion is pretty basic and I can't find any place to format these.

There's no guarantee, of course that the DVD on my old computer (which I
will continue to use until I can afford to update some of the software on
it) will read a DVD+, but I need some way of passing info back and forth
that will be readable on both computers, which means Direct CD compatible.
Can anybody assist me?

Brendan

Old January 5th 04, 06:06 AM

On 5 Jan 2004 05:10:31 GMT, (Brendan R.
Wehrung) wrote:

[...]

I have a real bad headache right now so Im not sure Im getting what
you are saying but if all you want to do is use Direct CD then sure it
should work on your drive.

It is brand specific as far as I know. There was a lot of questions in
the past whether INCD could read DIrect CD disks etc

WIN XP doesnt have any packetwriting built in as far as I know.

Im using it right now. Direct CD - Im one of the few people who has
been using it and likes Direct CD and packetwriting.

Wow - get this. I tested a CDRW in my NEC DVD writer at the request of
another poster who had problems writing to CDRWs with their DVD
writer. Well I found some old CDRWs I had packet written - 20 of them
and tested them . I looked at the dates and they were all written in
1999 ! Most of them were still OK !

Im backing up a lot of stuff right now to DVD+RWs.

You can close it out and it should be readable on any DVD writer - or
so it says. And its been readable with the Liteon DVD reader drives
etc.

You can also just do a regular burn on the RW and should be readable.

Why wouldnt your old PC not be able to read a DVD+ ?

Ive had zero problems even with standalone players let alone DVD
drives on PCs. Im sure some do but I would assume it can read it until
proven otherwise.

Old January 5th 04, 07:21 AM
smh

Mike Richter, were you born with
"Scam Artist" emblazoned on your face?
--------------------------------------

http://groups.google.com/groups?selm...mindspring.com
(Messages 10, 12 -- 34, 54 -- 69)

( No pipsqueaks have been able to prove ANY of the above is a libel )
( -- despite Mikey's supposed to have proof of misquotes! )

"Brendan R. Wehrung" wrote:

I've had a new computer using XP Home a couple of days. I don't have any
Roxio software installed, but it appears that my computer will read files
from a CD-RW disc formatted on another computer using Direct CD under Win
'98.

Winxp can read udf 1.02, 1.50, 2.0, and 2.01.

But get a load of these:
=====================
From: Mike Richter (Lying Scum)
Subject: Reading DCD in Win XP
Date: 9/7/01

XP's UDF reader is new, different and
incompatible with the standard

======================
From: Adrian Miller
Date: 10/29/01

The UDF support built into XP is violently incompatible
with DCD prior to 5.1
======================

I was under the impression that packet writing formats were
brand-specific.

That's because DirectCD's implementation of udf is buggy/faulty. But
according to Mike Richter, that's because of this:

Mike Richter on Packet Writing Format (iv)

"the fault is not with the software but with the format"

=====================
From: Mike Richter (Slimy Scum)
Date: 4/27/01

The format is fragile; the fault is not in the software per se.

In fact, the overwhelming majority of the complaints about
any UDF software are about the format, but the format is seen
through the software which gets the blame ...
=====================

Do I have to install some version of Direct CD on my new
computer to format RW discs onto which I can copy files, or is there some
utility I should look for to do this within XP?

To write udf, yes. But remember the Mikey's spew: The format -- the
slimeball's euphemism for the udf standard -- is faulty.

Included is a DVD/CD+RW drive (HP DVD Writer 300c) for which I can
apparently also use rewritable DVDs. The software which comes with my
Pavilion is pretty basic and I can't find any place to format these.

There's no guarantee, of course that the DVD on my old computer (which I
will continue to use until I can afford to update some of the software on
it) will read a DVD+, but I need some way of passing info back and forth
that will be readable on both computers, which means Direct CD compatible.
Can anybody assist me?

Sonic/Stomp/Veritas DLA is reported to be compatible with DirectCD
formatted discs. (One poster reported that DLA was able to close DCD
formatted cd-r which DCD was unable to do.)
http://sonic.com/products/dla/default.asp
Old January 5th 04, 11:55 AM
Alex Nichol

Brendan R. Wehrung wrote:

I've had a new computer using XP Home a couple of days. I don't have any
Roxio software installed, but it appears that my computer will read files
from a CD-RW disc formatted on another computer using Direct CD under Win
'98.

I was under the impression that packet writing formats were
brand-specific. Do I have to install some version of Direct CD on my new
computer to format RW discs onto which I can copy files, or is there some
utility I should look for to do this within XP?

XP is capable of *reading* packet written disks (subject to
compatibility, which seems to mean fairly recent Direct CD), but has
no support for writing it: for that you would have to get an XP
compatible package - Easy CD Creator 5's DirectCD or 6's Drag to Disk,
or Nero's InCD. Or if you have an HP drive, the free DLA at their
site works quite well. Mostly these things are fair at reading disks
made by a different product; but trying to burn to a disk formatted
by a different one is asking for trouble.

--
Alex Nichol
Bournemouth, U.K.

Old January 5th 04, 05:59 PM
Mike Richter

Brendan R. Wehrung wrote:

I was under the impression that packet writing formats were
brand-specific. Do I have to install some version of Direct CD on my
new computer to format RW discs onto which I can copy files, or is
there some utility I should look for to do this within XP?

There is a UDF standard. At least until recently, of the major players
only Roxio was fully compliant with it. I believe that XP's read
capability is also fully compliant.

Since I've not yet used XP to write to CD or DVD, I leave the other
questions to those who have.

Mike
--

http://www.mrichter.com/

Old January 5th 04, 07:39 PM
smh

What a friggin' ****!

=====================
From: Mike Richter (Lying Scum)
Date: 9/7/01

Old January 5th 04, 09:07 PM
smh

"Brendan R. Wehrung" wrote:

I've had a new computer using XP Home a couple of days. I don't have any
Roxio software installed, but it appears that my computer will read files
from a CD-RW disc formatted on another computer using Direct CD under Win
'98.

I was under the impression that packet writing formats were
brand-specific. Do I have to install some version of Direct CD on my new
computer to format RW discs onto which I can copy files, or is there some
utility I should look for to do this within XP?

Why do you want to mess with DirectCD when even none other than a cRoxio
Shill rejected it?

=====================
From: Mike Richter (cRoxio Shill)
Date: 8/19/02

I have used only DCD for packet writing,
have had no problems due to the software -
but too many due to the format itself

to bother with it any longer.

=====================
From: Mike Richter (cRoxio Shill)
Subject: WinXP and UDF
Date: 6/17/02

uninstalled DCD
when I stopped testing for Roxio
=====================

The above Mikey's statement is the first ever case in which a Shill is
rejecting the very product IT is shilling for.

With a Shill like this, cRoxio doesn't need any critics!

--------------------------
cRoxio, Eat Your Heart Out !!!
--------------------------
Old January 5th 04, 10:54 PM
smh

Mike Richter (Slimy Scum) wrote:

There is a UDF standard. At least until recently, of the major players
only Roxio was fully compliant with it.

How does DirectCD comply with the faulty format (standard), Mikey?

From: smh
Subject: DIRECT CD Formatting and Problems with ROXIO Direct CD
Date: 4/18/03

Mike Richter (Lying Scum) wrote:

Roxio's has been the most compliant with the standard

How does DirectCD comply with the faulty format (standard), Mikey?

From: smh
Subject: UDF/Packet Writing Compatibility:
Date: 3/6/03

Mike Richter (Slimy Scum) wrote:

As you now know, there is a standard for UDF, but
not all "packet writing" software complies with it.

How do softwares comply with the 'faulty' format, Mikey?

"the fault is not with the software but with the format"

Old January 6th 04, 12:06 AM
smh

Mike Richter, were you born with
"Scam Artist" emblazoned on your face?
--------------------------------------

http://groups.google.com/groups?selm...mindspring.com
(Messages 10, 12 -- 34, 54 -- 69)

( No pipsqueaks have been able to prove ANY of the above is a libel )
( -- despite Mikey's supposed to have proof of misquotes! )

Mike Richter (Lying Scum) wrote:

There is a UDF standard. At least until recently, of the major players
only Roxio was fully compliant with it.

No friggin' ****, Mikey!

Windows 2000 Cannot Read CD-R Discs Created with DirectCD

Last Reviewed:
May 27, 2001

http://support.microsoft.com/default...;EN-US;Q268094
(Link by Robert King)

SYMPTOMS
Windows 2000 cannot read packet-written CD-R discs with metadata packets
that are recorded at non-page-aligned addresses. This can prevent
Windows 2000 from reading CD-R discs that are created by using Adaptec
DirectCD.

CAUSE
Metadata packets are recorded at non-page-aligned addresses. The
Universal Disk Format file system (UDFS) expects all data (even
metadata) to be aligned at page boundaries.

Note 1: The above may be the reason why Winxp's native udf reader can't
read DirectCD formatted cd.

Note 2: Winxp's native udf reader reads InCD, DLA and InstantWrite
formatted cd.

Note 3: The above may be one of the reasons why cRoxio reportedly fired
the ENTIRE DirectCD development team in 2001.
Old January 6th 04, 02:52 AM
smh

Mike Richter, were you born with
"Scam Artist" emblazoned on your face?
--------------------------------------

http://groups.google.com/groups?selm...mindspring.com
(Messages 10, 12 -- 34, 54 -- 69)

( No pipsqueaks have been able to prove ANY of the above is a libel )
( -- despite Mikey's supposed to have proof of misquotes! )

Mike Richter (Slimy Scum) wrote:

There is a UDF standard. At least until recently, of the major players
only Roxio was fully compliant with it.

How did you find that out, Mikey?

From: smh
Date: 4/18/03

You can use only one UDF system at a time.

From: Mike Richter (Slimy Scum)
Subject: Best packetwriting software?
Date: 8/19/02

Since only one UDF program can run in an OS at a time,
comparisons are very hard to run outside of a test lab.