Sony DRU-510A vs. Pioneer DVR-A06 vs. TDK IndiDVD 440N

Old June 24th 03, 12:15 AM
Nobody_of_Consequence

Default Sony DRU-510A vs. Pioneer DVR-A06 vs. TDK IndiDVD 440N

Wait 4 months and get an 8x burner. If you must have
a burner now, A05's are deeply discounted. Oem's
were selling for $159 at a recent computershow I attended.

"Jonathan" wrote in message
Hi,
which of the above DVD+/-R/RW drives would you recommend? The new Sony
seems to be the winner in terms of specifications, as it has the largest
buffer, the fastest CD-RW speeds of the group and can do 4x DVD+RW.
However, I'm interested in other things too, such as:

* real-world CD & DVD burning performance
* DAE ripping speed and accuracy
* Included software bundle
* Other small details like firmware problems (ie, "rev. XX firmware has a
problem with packet-writing" or similar issues).

TIA,
Jonathan

Old June 24th 03, 03:58 AM
SirScrub

Unless something has changed, the software that comes with the Sony drive is
not worth putting on your computer. Aside from that, the drive is fine. It
works great for me anyway. I've burned over 400 DVDs with it and quite a
few audio CDs and it's purring along wonderfully.

The firmware for the Sony is good to go with the latest version. There
were some problems with some of the earlier versions (or so say some folks,
I never had any problems with any of the firmware updates) I say go for it,
but it's all about what you want.

Yes, you could wait until the 8x drives come out...or the 16x or whatever
comes next after that...at some point you just have jump in with both feet!

--
Sir Scrub
www.sirscrub.com

Old June 25th 03, 03:04 AM
Nobody_of_Consequence

Liteon. It should be pretty good quality. Liteon
makes all of Sony's drives.

"John" wrote in message
On Mon, 23 Jun 2003 16:15:27 -0700, "Nobody_of_Consequence"
wrote:

Wait 4 months and get an 8x burner. If you must have
a burner now, A05's are deeply discounted. Oem's
were selling for $159 at a recent computershow I attended.

Who is coming out with an 8x in four months?

Old June 25th 03, 11:39 PM
soccerfan

The DVR-A06 will be more of an updated version of the DVR-A05 and it's only
the CD writing speed that's going to be faster than its predecessor (24x vs.
16x).

But just in time for next Christmas Pioneer plans to release the DVR-A07
featuring 8x/4x DVD-R/RW burn speed.

http://www.cdfreaks.com/news2.php?ID=6831

"John" wrote in message
On Tue, 24 Jun 2003 19:04:50 -0700, "Nobody_of_Consequence"
wrote:

Liteon. It should be pretty good quality. Liteon
makes all of Sony's drives.

Where did you read about the 8x ?

I only see reference to their 4x drive.
Actually I surprised that its been selling. I thought it would go
really cheap and wipe out the competition but it hasnt. Its selling
for $270-300 only slightly cheaper than the SONY.

Old June 26th 03, 05:27 AM
Nobody_of_Consequence

I think I read it at the Cdfreaks site. Liteon is supposed to
release their 8x burner in November.