ABIT NF7-S2: shipped with CMOS in clear position?

Old December 13th 04, 08:43 PM
ToolPackinMama

Default ABIT NF7-S2: shipped with CMOS in clear position?

I bought a NF7-S2 from New Egg, and it arrived with the CMOS jumper in
the clear position, which, according to the manual is NOT the default
position. The mobo turned out to be DOA (with the jumper moved to the
default position), so (after trying a fresh CMOS battery) I RMA'd it.

Now, I'm looking at the replacement mobo, and it too was shipped with
the CMOS jumper in the clear position. I have a bad feeling about this.

Is the manual wrong, or what?

Comments?
Old December 13th 04, 08:52 PM
spodosaurus

ToolPackinMama wrote:
I bought a NF7-S2 from New Egg, and it arrived with the CMOS jumper in
the clear position, which, according to the manual is NOT the default
position. The mobo turned out to be DOA (with the jumper moved to the
default position), so (after trying a fresh CMOS battery) I RMA'd it.

Now, I'm looking at the replacement mobo, and it too was shipped with
the CMOS jumper in the clear position. I have a bad feeling about this.

Is the manual wrong, or what?

Comments?

They're probably sending you manufacturer refurbished boards. Icky.

neighbours from crime, and became the victim of it. To jump to the end
of the story, as a result of this I need a bone marrow transplant. Many
people around the world are waiting for a marrow transplant, too. Please
volunteer to be a marrow donor:
http://www.abmdr.org.au/
http://www.marrow.org/
Old December 13th 04, 09:09 PM
ToolPackinMama

spodosaurus wrote:
ToolPackinMama wrote:

I bought a NF7-S2 from New Egg, and it arrived with the CMOS jumper in
the clear position, which, according to the manual is NOT the default
position. The mobo turned out to be DOA (with the jumper moved to the
default position), so (after trying a fresh CMOS battery) I RMA'd it.

Now, I'm looking at the replacement mobo, and it too was shipped with
the CMOS jumper in the clear position. I have a bad feeling about this.

Is the manual wrong, or what?

Comments?

They're probably sending you manufacturer refurbished boards. Icky.

I dunno. I just found out from somebody at the ABIT forum that the
manual is wrong, and the CMOS as shipped is correct.

Now I'm concerned. Does it damage the CPU or RAM to try to boot with
CMOS set to clear? If so, I'm suing ABIT.
Old December 13th 04, 09:14 PM
spodosaurus

ToolPackinMama wrote:
spodosaurus wrote:

ToolPackinMama wrote:

I bought a NF7-S2 from New Egg, and it arrived with the CMOS jumper
in the clear position, which, according to the manual is NOT the
default position. The mobo turned out to be DOA (with the jumper
moved to the default position), so (after trying a fresh CMOS
battery) I RMA'd it.

Now, I'm looking at the replacement mobo, and it too was shipped with
the CMOS jumper in the clear position. I have a bad feeling about this.

Is the manual wrong, or what?

Comments?

They're probably sending you manufacturer refurbished boards. Icky.

I dunno. I just found out from somebody at the ABIT forum that the
manual is wrong, and the CMOS as shipped is correct.

Now I'm concerned. Does it damage the CPU or RAM to try to boot with
CMOS set to clear? If so, I'm suing ABIT.

No, why would it? If you want to clear the cmos you have to power it up
with the jumper in the clear position, turn it off again, and return the
jumper to the standard position...right?

Old December 13th 04, 09:22 PM
ToolPackinMama

spodosaurus wrote:
ToolPackinMama wrote:

spodosaurus wrote:

ToolPackinMama wrote:

[...]

Uh, no. To reset the CMOS you can just unplug the power, move the
jumper for a few seconds, then move it back. Also you can take out the
CMOS battery for a bit, and then put it back. Neither one of those
methods require a person to boot in between.
Old December 13th 04, 11:19 PM
ToolPackinMama

ABIT NF7-S2
Athlon XP 3200+
3X Rosewill 3200 DDR 256MB RAM
Powerup 350W PS
Chaintech Gforce MX4000 64 MB AGP vid card.

CPU fan doesn't go on. Only sign of life is tiny red led on Motherboard.

Old December 14th 04, 12:37 AM
ToolPackinMama

ToolPackinMama wrote:
ABIT NF7-S2
Athlon XP 3200+
3X Rosewill 3200 DDR 256MB RAM
Powerup 350W PS
Chaintech Gforce MX4000 64 MB AGP vid card.

CPU fan doesn't go on. Only sign of life is tiny red led on Motherboard.

Never mind. It is fine with a different power supply
Old December 14th 04, 08:08 AM
spodosaurus

ToolPackinMama wrote:
ToolPackinMama wrote:

ABIT NF7-S2
Athlon XP 3200+
3X Rosewill 3200 DDR 256MB RAM
Powerup 350W PS
Chaintech Gforce MX4000 64 MB AGP vid card.

CPU fan doesn't go on. Only sign of life is tiny red led on Motherboard.

Never mind. It is fine with a different power supply

So it was the PSU all along?

Old December 14th 04, 04:18 PM
Conor

In article ToolPackinMama says...

Now I'm concerned. Does it damage the CPU or RAM to try to boot with
CMOS set to clear? If so, I'm suing ABIT.

**** sake...

All it does is disconnect the battery. What harm is that going to do
apart from confirm the builder as incompetent for not checking jumpers?

Its a common practice to prevent CMOS batteries going flat whilst the
boards lie on the shelf.
--
Conor

A man alone in the forest is talking to himself and no women around to
hear him. Is he still wrong?
Old December 14th 04, 09:48 PM
Bob M

ToolPackinMama wrote:

I bought a NF7-S2 from New Egg, and it arrived with the CMOS jumper in
the clear position, which, according to the manual is NOT the default
position. The mobo turned out to be DOA (with the jumper moved to the
default position), so (after trying a fresh CMOS battery) I RMA'd it.

Now, I'm looking at the replacement mobo, and it too was shipped with
the CMOS jumper in the clear position. I have a bad feeling about this.

Is the manual wrong, or what?

Comments?

Probably. I bought an MSI board a few years ago and the manual was
wrong.

Bob