AMD slashes processor prices

Old February 14th 05, 03:01 PM
Too_Much_Coffee ®

Default AMD slashes processor prices

AMD today slashed prices across its product range, timed to
follow the launch of its latest Opteron processors and knocking
up to 35 per cent off the price of most products.

The axe wasn't just taken to AMD's workstation/server chips, but
to its mainstream Athlon 64 desktop and notebook products. All
Athlon 64s for desktops, desktop replacement laptops, full-size
notebooks and thin'n'light mobiles saw their prices reduced -
only the Athlon 64-FX remained immune.

Sempron processors for desktops and full-size notebook also
experienced price cuts, though the thin'n'light-oriented product
prices remain unchanged. Most notably, AMD has begun
differentiating between Socket A and Socket 754 parts on price,
with the latter versions slightly cheaper.

Ditto the old 32-bit Athlon XP-M prices, though the Athlon MP is
now slightly cheaper than it was. Interestingly, the desktop
Athlon XP has now been removed from AMD's public price list.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/02/14/amd_price_cuts/

Too_Much_Coffee ®

---
Got GigaNews?
http://www.giganews.com/customer/gn26215

Old February 14th 05, 09:04 PM
Ed Light

"Too_Much_Coffee ®" wrote in message
AMD today slashed prices across its product range, timed to
follow the launch of its latest Opteron processors and knocking
up to 35 per cent off the price of most products.

It doesn't seem to have touched newegg yet. How long will that take? Or it
just in the UK?

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at

Thanks, robots.

Old February 14th 05, 11:04 PM
Too_Much_Coffee ®

Ed Light wrote:
"Too_Much_Coffee ®" wrote in message
AMD today slashed prices across its product range, timed to
follow the launch of its latest Opteron processors and

knocking
up to 35 per cent off the price of most products.

It doesn't seem to have touched newegg yet. How long will that
take? Or it just in the UK?

I would say that, as soon as places like Newegg sell off the
product they purchased at the old price, they will start selling
at the lower price. Of course places with less stock can lower
their prices sooner so many will be forced to lower their prices
sooner than they really want to. Actually it's the wholesalers.

Now let's see a drop in the price of those nForce4 SLI mobos.

I have a 2500+ Barton running at 2.2GHz and I am happy with the
speed. The 64 bit upgrade option is going to have to be nice and
cheap before I'm going to take the plunge. I really want to wait
for dual core and the 64-bit Longhorn OS before I make any
changes. I'm thinking another 18 months before *I* do anything
extreme.

TMC

Old February 14th 05, 11:43 PM
RD

Hi TMC,
"Too_Much_Coffee ®" wrote in message
[snip]
Now let's see a drop in the price of those nForce4 SLI mobos.

Take a look at Anandtech's article on NF4 ultra mobo's and SLI,
it seems certain manufs like DFI have exactly the same mobo for
both NF4 ultra and SLI and a simple pencil mod converts Ultra to
SLI and at a lower price than the SLI varients..

Regards,
RD

Old February 15th 05, 12:32 AM
Veritech

Great, two months after i scrap cash to together to build a system, a athlon
64 2800 becomes the same price as my 2600 sempron. I just love price cuts.
oh well i guess it makes my future desires for an fx a little closer, lol.

Old February 17th 05, 07:48 AM
RD

Try this one:-)

http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=2337
"papasurf" wrote in message
http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets...oc.aspx?i=2322
Hi TMC,

Old February 19th 05, 09:26 PM
Charles Evans

Well basically, the idea is, wait as long as you possibly can. I'm still
waiting, and I have a P2-400 with 384MB Just waiting for the right time
to jump in. Am getting close, things are getting a little slow

chuckie

news

Old February 19th 05, 11:03 PM
Bryan Hoover

Charles Evans wrote:

Well basically, the idea is, wait as long as you possibly can. I'm still
waiting, and I have a P2-400 with 384MB Just waiting for the right time
to jump in. Am getting close, things are getting a little slow

Hell yeah! That is, pardon me, but I agree . After a maxed out Biostar
8500tvx:

http://sos-hardware.windowstothemax....MB-8500TVX.htm

I'm certain my new socket A MP computer has teletransport capabilities -- just
gotta get the right the software's all.

Bryan

chuckie

news

Old February 20th 05, 09:55 AM
Forum User

You serious, dude ?
Most people are thinking about A64, these days !
Welcome to 1995.

Charles Evans wrote:
Well basically, the idea is, wait as long as you possibly can. I'm
still waiting, and I have a P2-400 with 384MB Just waiting for the
right time to jump in. Am getting close, things are getting a little
slow

chuckie

news