Problems with DVD burners in Vista on Gigabyte motherboard - Solved

Old May 25th 07, 01:56 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Kent Smith

Default Problems with DVD burners in Vista on Gigabyte motherboard - Solved

I just managed to resolve this issue, seemed to be related to my mb
(965P-DS4) so thought I would post it here hoping it may help someone else:

PROBLEM:
Conflict/Bug between (unused) Gigabyte SATA controller / IDE controller and
Vista

BACKGROUND:
I had a problem where my DVD burner was not detected in either DVD Maker or
Media Player. It didn't appear as an option in the list of drives. It could
burn using Nero.

Another symptom I noticed was, when I looked at the properties for the
drive, on the hardware tab, it said my writer was SCSI.

Sounds like a drive, driver or os problem right? Strangely not...

SOLUTION:
A setting in the bios resolves this.

The setting is on the Integrated Peripherals screen. The setting is
Onboard SATA/IDE Ctrl Mode. The setting I set it to 'RAID/IDE'. (Sets the
SATA channel to RAID mode and IDE channel to IDE mode), when it booted, it
detected some new devices, installed them automatically and away she went.

This was not a setting I changed, the default mode is IDE which is what I
had and seems more logical to me.

Although I use SATA for my single HDD in IDE mode and IDE for my burner, I
have no intention to use RAID on SATA. I didn't think my disk would boot
since I didn't install the RAID drivers on my disk but it did. I did a bit
of reading and I believe this setting is only for the Gigabyte SATA
controller. My board has 2 other Intel SATA controllers on it and my HDD is
connected to the first one of these. But for some strange reason, the unused
gigabyte SATA controller being set to IDE mode seemed to do something wierd
to the IDE controller (that my burner was on) and Vista. It still worked
fine, I could burn with Nero and Nero Infotool could ID all the features of
the drive without any problem, just not DVD Maker or Media Player.

So looks like some sort of conflict going on there. This is quite a big
annoyance to a lot of people if you do some searching on it so I am not sure
how many boards it affects. Probably MS Vista problem though since I don't
think this is issue on XP - could be wrong - haven't tried.

I logged it with Gigabyte so will see what they say.

-KENT

Old July 14th 07, 11:06 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Bob H[_2_]

"Kent Smith" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks for posting this. I'm going to change it on my DS3 now. My DVD
burner is useless up until this point.

Old July 16th 07, 11:34 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Kent Smith

Bob H wrote:
"Kent Smith" wrote in message
[...]

The only thing Gigabyte came back with was:
"The symptom is normal. When you set the controller at IDE mode, the OS will
recognize the controller as SCSI mass storage controller."

The mind boggles.

-KENT

Old July 16th 07, 01:24 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Bob H[_2_]

"Kent Smith" wrote in message
Bob H wrote:
"Kent Smith" wrote in message
[...]

DVD burner full on now. Giga yes is unreal, so helpful. Again thx for the
post.