Vista & Ram??

Old April 22nd 07, 03:06 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Paul[_6_]

Default Vista & Ram??

Well I've been running Vista for weeks now with no problems "except" it is a
bit slower then XP Pro, noticeably slower(boot up/shut down is much
slower).. My thinking is ram is the culprit, I have a E-520 with a 3.06Ghz
P4, 1Gb of Ram and 256 Nvidia GT vid card... I've heard that where 1Gb was
the sweet spot for XP 2Gb is the sweet spot for Vista.. Anyone upgrade
they're ram from 1gb to 2gb after installing Vista? I'd like to know if it
made a big difference, I see there are still some Vista bashing going on
here but as far as I'm concerned I'm not going to go back to XP(still have a
dual boot with XP but run 99.9% Vista)..

Old April 22nd 07, 03:33 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ron Hardin

Paul wrote:

Well I've been running Vista for weeks now with no problems "except" it is a
bit slower then XP Pro, noticeably slower(boot up/shut down is much
slower).. My thinking is ram is the culprit, I have a E-520 with a 3.06Ghz
P4, 1Gb of Ram and 256 Nvidia GT vid card... I've heard that where 1Gb was
the sweet spot for XP 2Gb is the sweet spot for Vista.. Anyone upgrade
they're ram from 1gb to 2gb after installing Vista? I'd like to know if it
made a big difference, I see there are still some Vista bashing going on
here but as far as I'm concerned I'm not going to go back to XP(still have a
dual boot with XP but run 99.9% Vista)..

I just bought an Inspiron 9400 with XP, specifically as a last chance to avoid Vista,
on speculation I'll need it to replace this old desktop soon.

Though the desktop seems to have recovered slightly in the last week and may go on
for a while. I thought I was going to have to put it in an assisted living home
for a while there.
--
Ron Hardin

Old April 22nd 07, 03:50 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
S.Lewis

"Paul" wrote in message
Well I've been running Vista for weeks now with no problems "except" it is
bit slower then XP Pro, noticeably slower(boot up/shut down is much
slower).. My thinking is ram is the culprit, I have a E-520 with a 3.06Ghz
P4, 1Gb of Ram and 256 Nvidia GT vid card... I've heard that where 1Gb was
the sweet spot for XP 2Gb is the sweet spot for Vista.. Anyone upgrade
they're ram from 1gb to 2gb after installing Vista? I'd like to know if it
made a big difference, I see there are still some Vista bashing going on
here but as far as I'm concerned I'm not going to go back to XP(still have
dual boot with XP but run 99.9% Vista)..

Since you're committed to Vista, go ahead and buy the second gig of RAM:

http://www.crucial.com/store/listpar...Dimension+E520

The price is reasonable, and you'll need the upgrade anyway at some point I
suspect. 1gb is acceptable for Vista, but 2gb may well be the sweet spot for
older system hardware configurations.

Old April 22nd 07, 05:15 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
HDRDTD

I have three systems running Vista, two of them have 2gig of ram, and the
third has 1gig of ram.

Both systems that have 2gig of ram run much much better. Go with 2gig of
ram. Vista will love it.

Old April 22nd 07, 09:15 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Paul[_6_]

My E520 came with a pair of 512s, S.Lewis your post sent me to a single 1gig
dimm, according o Crucial I cannot put in a 1gig dimm along with my pair of
512s.. When I run Crucial's scanner it recommended using another pair of
512s "Although the memory can be installed one module at a time, the best
performance comes from using matched pairs of modules"...
Then under questions it says " Q: Do I have to install matching pairs?

A: Yes.

Your system requires that you install memory in pairs."

I guess I'm stuck either getting 2 gig dimms and selling my 512 dimms or
getting 2 512s and maxing out at 2gig...

Old April 22nd 07, 09:38 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
journey

On Sun, 22 Apr 2007 10:06:55 -0400, "Paul"
wrote:

Well I've been running Vista for weeks now with no problems "except" it is a
bit slower then XP Pro, noticeably slower(boot up/shut down is much
slower).. My thinking is ram is the culprit, I have a E-520 with a 3.06Ghz
P4, 1Gb of Ram and 256 Nvidia GT vid card... I've heard that where 1Gb was
the sweet spot for XP 2Gb is the sweet spot for Vista.. Anyone upgrade
they're ram from 1gb to 2gb after installing Vista? I'd like to know if it
made a big difference, I see there are still some Vista bashing going on
here but as far as I'm concerned I'm not going to go back to XP(still have a
dual boot with XP but run 99.9% Vista)..

On my 1405 laptop, with 2G of RAM, I perceive XP and Vista to be about
equal in speed. I am using a Core 2 Duo w 4M cache. There may be
more difference between the OS's for a P4 if Vista was coded to make
use of newer processor features.

I recommend Googling "Ready Boost", which is a feature that can make
use of an external flash drive's memory to help boost the system. I
was happily surprised that I could use my SD media card slot for that
purpose. Radio Shack sells a USB adapter that can change the angle of
a flash drive if it's in a spot where it would stick out and possibly
get bumped. It's particularly helpful for the front USB ports of
desktops, or the side port of a laptop.
Old April 22nd 07, 09:43 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
journey

On Sun, 22 Apr 2007 16:15:06 -0400, "Paul"
wrote:

My E520 came with a pair of 512s, S.Lewis your post sent me to a single 1gig
dimm, according o Crucial I cannot put in a 1gig dimm along with my pair of
512s.. When I run Crucial's scanner it recommended using another pair of
512s "Although the memory can be installed one module at a time, the best
performance comes from using matched pairs of modules"...
Then under questions it says " Q: Do I have to install matching pairs?

A: Yes.

Your system requires that you install memory in pairs."

I guess I'm stuck either getting 2 gig dimms and selling my 512 dimms or
getting 2 512s and maxing out at 2gig...

My E510 has 2.5G of RAM. I am not sure how it's configured because
it's not in a convenient area to open the case. If it would be of
value to know, I will do that or maybe the bios will tell me and I can
report back. That amount of RAM would imply that I have 4 slots, that
I have a 512 and two 1gigs. The 520 might have a completely different
motherboard so this may not be relevant.

One thing you can do to speed up your Vista is turn off Aero Glass.
The other is Ready Boost which I talked about in a separate post.
Old April 22nd 07, 09:44 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
journey

On Sun, 22 Apr 2007 12:15:25 -0400, "HDRDTD"
wrote:

I have three systems running Vista, two of them have 2gig of ram, and the
third has 1gig of ram.

Both systems that have 2gig of ram run much much better. Go with 2gig of
ram. Vista will love it.

Have you (or anyone) tried Ready Boost and if so have you noticed an
improvement?
Old April 22nd 07, 11:52 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
HDRDTD

No I haven't tried Ready Boost. Although I do have a small collection od
Compcat Flash ram and USB sticks of ram, I just haven't gotten around to
trying it.

Old April 23rd 07, 01:39 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
S.Lewis

"Paul" wrote in message
My E520 came with a pair of 512s, S.Lewis your post sent me to a single
1gig dimm, according o Crucial I cannot put in a 1gig dimm along with my
pair of 512s.. When I run Crucial's scanner it recommended using another
pair of 512s "Although the memory can be installed one module at a time,
the best performance comes from using matched pairs of modules"...
Then under questions it says " Q: Do I have to install matching pairs?

A: Yes.

Your system requires that you install memory in pairs."

I guess I'm stuck either getting 2 gig dimms and selling my 512 dimms or
getting 2 512s and maxing out at 2gig...

1gig kit (2 x 512mb) matched, for your open sockets:
http://www.crucial.com/store/partspe...T2KIT6464AA53E

Lifetime guarantee. Great company. Fair price.

Stew

XP for now, Hasta la Vista, Vista journey Dell Computers 5 March 7th 07 03:16 AM
Vista Tony Pacc Dell Computers 16 February 21st 07 11:54 PM
Which Vista: 32 or 64 bit? boostm3 Gateway Computers 2 February 9th 07 01:40 AM
XP vs. Vista Tom Scales Dell Computers 6 January 31st 07 05:57 AM
Vista OS? Miss Information Matrox Videocards 1 August 11th 06 04:13 PM