Labeling back (and spine) of slim CD cases?

Old September 6th 06, 11:15 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr
Ilya Zakharevich

Default Labeling back (and spine) of slim CD cases?

Recently I got an idea how I can improve my software for printing CD
covers+etc (google for typeset_audio_dir): I looked at the back of a
slim CD case, and found a shallow dimple; the size is 120x127mm.
Obviously, the intent is to be able to attach an adhesive label there.

Anyone having experience with using these dimples? I did not find any
suitable-size pre-cut adhesive label (made by Avery or anybody else),
so it should be self-made out of a full-page adhesive label. One may
need a lot of dexterity to correctly attach such a large label at
prescribed place; any hints how to best do it?

BTW, on the same whole-sheet label there is going to be a lot of free
space; one could have a lot of other stuff. E.g., I can print a
spline label too; off course, one would need to cut it out manually
(same as for the back label). Any ideas on the best size, position,
application techniques?

Thanks,
Ilya
Old September 7th 06, 01:34 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr
Allen

Ilya Zakharevich wrote:

[...]

When I apply a large label, I peel a little of the backing paper away
from one corner and fold it (the backing paper) uback. I then align the
label, being careful _not_ to allow that peeled-back area to come in
contact with the surface. When I have it aligned , I then press that
small area down until it adheres and then carefully pull off the
backing. About spine labels--I file my CDs in trays and thus have no
need for them.
Allen

Old September 7th 06, 04:07 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr
plew@csus_abcdefghij.edu

On 2006-09-07, Allen wrote:

Ilya Zakharevich wrote:

[...]

I use a Brother labeler at 12 pt font; after printing, just cut slightly
above & below the upper case letter; peel back the ahesive backing &
place on the spline (one end first for alignment). The label just
fits. Wrapping the label around the case didn't work well for me
as the labels tend to "unstick" at the wrapped part.
Old September 7th 06, 08:42 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr
Ilya Zakharevich

], who wrote in article :
covers+etc (google for typeset_audio_dir): I looked at the back of a
slim CD case, and found a shallow dimple; the size is 120x127mm.
Obviously, the intent is to be able to attach an adhesive label there.

I use a Brother labeler at 12 pt font; after printing, just cut slightly
above & below the upper case letter; peel back the ahesive backing &
place on the spline (one end first for alignment). The label just
fits. Wrapping the label around the case didn't work well for me
as the labels tend to "unstick" at the wrapped part.

Thanks. You mean the spine label, right? What is the size of the
label (in tens of mm, if possible ;-) after cut?

I'm thinking of a possibility to attach the spine label INSIDE the
case (look at the case; there is a narrow space there). E.g., suppose
one could print the label on the STICKY side ;-) of an adhesive label.
Then one could attach such a printed narrow strip inside the case.

One idea which comes to mind is to have the mirror image of the label
printed on a transparent adhesive label. Then, to UN-transparent it,
put a while label on top of it.

Any comment?

Thanks,
Ilya
Old September 7th 06, 11:04 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr
plew@csus_abcdefghij.edu

On 2006-09-07, Ilya Zakharevich wrote:

], who wrote in article :
covers+etc (google for typeset_audio_dir): I looked at the back of a
slim CD case, and found a shallow dimple; the size is 120x127mm.
Obviously, the intent is to be able to attach an adhesive label there.

I use a Brother labeler at 12 pt font; after printing, just cut slightly
above & below the upper case letter; peel back the ahesive backing &
place on the spline (one end first for alignment). The label just
fits. Wrapping the label around the case didn't work well for me
as the labels tend to "unstick" at the wrapped part.

Thanks. You mean the spine label, right? What is the size of the
label (in tens of mm, if possible ;-) after cut?

Yes; 12 pt is the same everywhere & my measurement says the uppercase
letter is 1/4 in & the spine is about 5/16 or 6/16 in depending on
the eyesight & steadyness. So, I think that the cut is about 5/16 in.
I no longer have a mm ruler/scale (think it is time I should have one
"just in case").

I'm thinking of a possibility to attach the spine label INSIDE the
case (look at the case; there is a narrow space there). E.g., suppose
one could print the label on the STICKY side ;-) of an adhesive label.
Then one could attach such a printed narrow strip inside the case.

One idea which comes to mind is to have the mirror image of the label
printed on a transparent adhesive label. Then, to UN-transparent it,
put a while label on top of it.

Any comment?

You don't need to do that much work as the manual for the Brother 1900/1910
says it has a mirror printing function & one should use the transparent
labels for that :-0 It is for use to affix the labels onto glass or
other transparent material.

The newer models should have the same mirror printing function; didn't
notice anything similar on the low price model but that model has
changed.

Check Brother's website for specs & manuals: www.brother.com
for the most cost effective model.

You just gave me an idea to try this weekend after I get a transparent
tape label; I like the idea of the label being on the inside of the
spine. Should've read the manual thoroughly long ago........

Old September 8th 06, 12:53 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr
plew@csus_abcdefghij.edu

On 2006-09-07, Ilya Zakharevich wrote:

[...]

OOPs!!!! That size should be 1/8 instead of 1/4 & the other sizing
should be downsized accordingly.

AND found that Brother has a model pt-1280 can use the newer (if
you can find it) "super-narrow" for CD as in 3.5 mm wide. The pt-1280
also does mirror printing.

Will try to find the 1/4"/6mm clear tape to experiment.

Old September 8th 06, 02:14 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr
Ilya Zakharevich

], who wrote in article :
Thanks. You mean the spine label, right? What is the size of the
label (in tens of mm, if possible ;-) after cut?

Yes; 12 pt is the same everywhere

??? 12pt says that the font looks good with interline spacing 12pt
(about 6 lines per in). It says nothing about the size of letters...

my measurement says the uppercase
letter is 1/4 in & the spine is about 5/16 or 6/16 in depending on
the eyesight & steadyness.

Thanks. [And this is why I asked about size in 0.1mm: binary inches
are not fit to measure small sizes...]

One idea which comes to mind is to have the mirror image of the label
printed on a transparent adhesive label. Then, to UN-transparent it,
put a while label on top of it.

You don't need to do that much work as the manual for the Brother 1900/1910
says it has a mirror printing function & one should use the transparent
labels for that :-0 It is for use to affix the labels onto glass or
other transparent material.

Thanks again. However, I think that "just" transparent is not enough;
one should back it up with some (read: white ;-) solid color to make
it readable.

Check Brother's website for specs & manuals: www.brother.com
for the most cost effective model.

I will keep this in mind. But in general, I have no intention to be
locked into one particular brand of printers...

Yours,
Illya