Dual layer dvd rw

Old November 23rd 04, 10:19 AM
Brian J

Default Dual layer dvd rw

Hi, what is the difference between a dual layer drive and not dual layer
drive? Thanks....

Old November 23rd 04, 12:25 PM
Tom Scales

Two layers.

Dual layer drives have double the capacity

Old November 23rd 04, 09:53 PM
tellme

The dual layer drive writes on two sides of a cd. You have to purchase
these cds as you can not write on the cds that we are currently using.

My experience has been that so far the DL is not totally reliable when
writing DVD.
The Phillips that comes in the Dell computers are a nightmare.

Unless you are going to write with DL cds and do extensive dvd
authoring I would get a writer that is more reliable and wait till
they perfect these more.

Old November 24th 04, 12:16 AM
Tweek

Dual layer does not write on both sides of the disc. Dual layer is just
that, dual-layer on one side. There are two data layers and the laser is
basically refocused depending on which layer needs to be written or read.

Old November 24th 04, 04:27 AM
Eddie Aftandilian

"Tweek" wrote in message
Dual layer does not write on both sides of the disc. Dual layer is just
that, dual-layer on one side. There are two data layers and the laser is
basically refocused depending on which layer needs to be written or read.

Also, dual-layer discs are very expensive right now, around $10 per disc.
They're really not worth the cost at this point.

Old November 24th 04, 09:07 AM
Sparky

Tom Scales wrote:
Two layers.

Which means twice as much data per DVD. The single layer DVDs hold 4.7
GB, the dual layer ones 9.something
Old November 24th 04, 09:07 AM
Sparky

Eddie Aftandilian wrote:

"Tweek" wrote in message

Dual layer does not write on both sides of the disc. Dual layer is just
that, dual-layer on one side. There are two data layers and the laser is
basically refocused depending on which layer needs to be written or read.

Also, dual-layer discs are very expensive right now, around $10 per disc.
They're really not worth the cost at this point.

True, but like all previous media, the price will come down shortly.

Old November 24th 04, 12:21 PM
Tom Scales

Yes, I said that before you edited it out. Why did you?

Old November 24th 04, 01:39 PM
LaVacheQuiRit

The organic entity known as Tom Scales communicated the following:

Yes, I said that before you edited it out. Why did you?

Without a doubt because of your top posting. Top posting is only readible
if one reads the whole thread and thus it is only a waste of space to quote
the text from the previous posts.

--
Hans
Old November 24th 04, 01:46 PM
LaVacheQuiRit

The organic entity known as Sparky communicated the following:

Tom Scales wrote:
Two layers.

Which means twice as much data per DVD. The single layer DVDs hold 4.7
GB, the dual layer ones 9.something

I think the correct number is something like 8.5 GB.

I haven't gotten deeper into the technology, so I am unsure if that is a
technology maximum or just the maximum of the currently available drives.

--
Hans

Dual layer, DVD/CD+/-R/W/RAM, pref.external, does it exist yet? MCheu General 4 January 31st 05 02:57 AM
DVD Dual Layer Compatibility and Drives Jim Higgins Cdr 2 January 9th 05 03:34 AM
Dual layer DVD player Martin ©¿©¬ @mandeREMOVETHIS.plus.com Cdr 1 September 6th 04 01:46 PM
Dual Layer DVD-Rs Chris Homebuilt PC's 0 June 2nd 04 06:23 PM
Dual Layer DVD-Rs Daniel P Homebuilt PC's 2 June 2nd 04 09:39 AM