Utility needed to Verify ISO image with burned disc

Old February 18th 10, 06:56 PM posted to alt.comp.freeware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,24hoursupport.helpdesk,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,alt.comp.periphs.cdr
Ilya Zakharevich

Default Utility needed to Verify ISO image with burned disc

On 2010-02-18, Penang wrote:
I do know about the "FC" command and do use it frequently.

However, FC is only used for comparing FILE to FILE.

Irrelevant.

What I am looking for is a utility that can compare an ISO image file
(xyz.ISO) to a burned CD/DVD based on the same ISO image file.

"A burned CD/DVD" *is* a file. At least on reasonable OSes. E.g.,
did you try \\.\M: ? If Windows does not support this, one can just
make an ISO image from the disk, and use FC (or diff).

Hope this helps,
Ilya

P.S. In my experience, byte-per-byte comparison is not relevant. At
least, I never saw a disk which could be read byte-per-byte, but
the result would differ from what it is supposed to be. Disks
with some unreadable sectors - a plenty (a hundred?); but if
fully readable, then correct.
Old February 19th 10, 04:50 AM posted to alt.comp.freeware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,24hoursupport.helpdesk,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,alt.comp.periphs.cdr
Penang

On Feb 18, 12:36*am, Jose wrote:
On Feb 18, 7:32*am, LouB wrote:

Penang wrote:
Dear Gurus,

I understand that there are some CD-burning softwares which have built-
in verifying routines to verify the burned disc with the ISO image
file.

However, I am looking for a stand-alone utility that can do the same
thing.

Which is, taking an ISO-image file on the hard disk, and verify it
with a CD (or DVD) that is inside a CD/DVD drive.

Is there such a utility available?

All suggestions are most welcome !

Thank you for reading.

It would seem if you did not verify as soon as you made the copy the
hard disk content would have changed - evn just a little.
I do not understand the purpose.

Me either.

The question seemed to be how to verify an ISO with a burned image
(I'm guessing that means CD).

That question has been answered.

Perhaps a new question is needed.

My apology to all since my original message is too vague.

Here is what happening.

My PC runs Windows XP, and I have ISO Recorder Power Toy installed
( from http://isorecorder.alexfeinman.com/isorecorder.htm )

It is a very nifty stuff. It uses XP's own utilities to burn ISO
images (ISO files) to CD/DVD.

All I need to do, if I ever want to burn a CD or DVD is to right click
on the ISO image file. The first item on the right-click menu is "Copy
Image to CD" and when I choose that, and choose the CD/DVD burner, the
utility will automatically burn the CD / DVD for me.

Which means, the is no "verify" (or file compare).

In NERO or ImgBurn and many other CD burning programs they have the
"verify" step to make sure that the CD/DVD burned is the same as the
ISO image.

And what I am looking for is a stand alone utility to do just that ---
Read in an ISO-Image file, and then compare it to the (CD/DVD) disc
that is on a CD/DVD drive, directory by directory, file by file, byte
by byte.

Again, please accept my sincerest apology for the vagueness of my
Old February 19th 10, 07:25 AM posted to alt.comp.freeware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,24hoursupport.helpdesk,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,alt.comp.periphs.cdr
thanatoid

Penang wrote in

ups.com:

SNIP

In NERO or ImgBurn and many other CD burning programs they
have the "verify" step to make sure that the CD/DVD burned
is the same as the ISO image.

And what I am looking for is a stand alone utility to do
just that --- Read in an ISO-Image file, and then compare
it to the (CD/DVD) disc that is on a CD/DVD drive,
directory by directory, file by file, byte by byte.

Again, please accept my sincerest apology for the vagueness
of my original message !

I basically understood what you want/ed to do and I do not know
of any such utility.

You were given /so many links/, especially by "johnw" and you
seem not to have bothered to check any of the links out. I wrote
you a post earlier today before this latest "clarification" but
did not bother posting it since all I said had already been
said.

While it is nice of you to "clarify" for the great unwashed, it
would have been nice of you to THANK all the people (not just
ONE) who gave you so much info. It doesn't happen with a snap of
the fingers, you know - YOU were too lazy to just Google for the
answer to begin with, weren't you? No one here is God, you know.
We can't tell you of something that does not exist, while Google
knows everything.

Still, if you get a utility like WinImage (there are several),
you can open any ISO file and write it to your HD and then
compare the contents with what went into the ISO file in the
FIRST place. I am not aware of ANY utility which can magically
overcome the fact that AFAIK every ISO file burned from the same
material by different programs will be slightly different, have
a completely different checksum, and can not be "compared" bit
by bit except to a copy of itself with a good file manager or a
file compare program.

Of course, the easiest, and free, solution would be to use
imgburn - or to plonk down 40 bucks and get CDRWin from
goldenhawk (which is what I have been using for years, started
before imgburn - which is /supposed/ to be even better - came
out) but if you don't want to do that and insist on using a
plug-in instead of a real program, that's your problem.

Just out of curiosity, does this miraculous plug-in allow you to
set the burning speed? Or do you just burn everything at MAX
like so many other modern "computer users"?

No offense, it's just a little tiresome to see SO many good
replies and then get a re-post which implies you haven't looked
at ANY of the links and appear to refuse to accept any of the
info given.

BTW, ANY program the author of which proudly says "It is
recommended by MSDN download site along with Easy CD and Nero
and is used by a number of companies around the world." is
(IMHO) to be avoided like the plague.

SOME recommendation... MS made BOB, WinME and Vista, remember?
But they STILL won't let you print the contents of a directory
in ANY version of Windows without using the command line or a
3rd party program... The ONLY thing they know how to do is spy
on their customers and make lots and lots of money...

AFA Roxio and Nero, they make incomprehensible illogical pig
bloat. Adaptec may have been the first - I remember burning a
Quantegy/Ampex CDR with Adaptec software at 1x on an external HP
burner which cost more than a good computer costs today, and
Roxio is "related" to it, but I know of *few* programs that did
not change for the worse (if not simply became complete trash)
when the kinds of changes that Adaptec made in its company
structure were made. (Let alone when someone just buys someone
else out, a favorite MS/Adobe tactic of destroying quality
competition.)

AFA Nero, I find it simply insane. Anyone who uses either it or
Roxio is not anyone I would trust to recommend a ball-point pen,
let alone ANY software.

--
The Onion: Is there a God?
Winona Ryder: Is there a God?
Old February 19th 10, 11:03 AM posted to alt.comp.freeware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,24hoursupport.helpdesk,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,alt.comp.periphs.cdr
Greegor

On Feb 19, 1:25*am, thanatoid wrote:
Penang wrote
ups.com:

SNIP

[...]

What's your favorite CD burner software?
After griping about various others, shouldn't you say?
Old February 19th 10, 03:58 PM posted to alt.comp.freeware,alt.comp.periphs.cdr
Susan Bugher

Penang wrote:

My PC runs Windows XP, and I have ISO Recorder Power Toy installed
( from http://isorecorder.alexfeinman.com/isorecorder.htm )

And what I am looking for is a stand alone utility to do just that ---
Read in an ISO-Image file, and then compare it to the (CD/DVD) disc
that is on a CD/DVD drive, directory by directory, file by file, byte
by byte.

I believe you need DVDSig. Small, fast, easy. . .

Program: DVDSig
Author: Dariusz Stanislawek
Windows "all"
Wa (Freeware)
http://members.ozemail.com.au/~nulif...ezip/freeware/
"DVDsig v1.01 [10kB]"
"DVDsig is a files verification software for DVD-ROM, DVD-Video, CD-ROM
and other removable media. It will scan all files and directories of a
new disk compilation and create a list of reliable MD5 file signatures.
DVDsig is small enough to be conveniently included on any disk
compilation and offers immediate, independent verification of the files
after burning is completed. The inclusion of DVDsig along with the
signature list it generates is a simple, quick and effective way of
validating your data at any time and anywhere."

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware
http://www.google.com/advanced_group....comp.freeware

Author: Dariusz Stanislawek
Windows "all"
Wa (Freeware)
http://members.ozemail.com.au/~nulif...ezip/freeware/
"DVDsig v1.01 [10kB]"
"DVDsig is a files verification software for DVD-ROM, DVD-Video, CD-ROM
and other removable media. It will scan all files and directories of a
new disk compilation and create a list of reliable MD5 file signatures.
DVDsig is small enough to be conveniently included on any disk
compilation and offers immediate, independent verification of the files
after burning is completed. The inclusion of DVDsig along with the
signature list it generates is a simple, quick and effective way of
validating your data at any time and anywhere."

The Original Poster wants to make sure the CD as burned matches what
is intended to be made from the ISO-Image. CD images may have many
files that Windows doesn't see, to looking at the visible files is
not enough. There also lots of meta-data that DVDsig may not be
looking at.

I think the OP might even like a report of corrected errors.

Susan

Old February 19th 10, 04:40 PM posted to alt.comp.freeware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,24hoursupport.helpdesk,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,alt.comp.periphs.cdr
Mark F[_2_]

On Thu, 18 Feb 2010 18:56:27 +0000 (UTC), Ilya Zakharevich
wrote in part:

What I am looking for is a utility that can compare an ISO image file
(xyz.ISO) to a burned CD/DVD based on the same ISO image file.

"A burned CD/DVD" *is* a file. At least on reasonable OSes. E.g.,
did you try \\.\M: ? If Windows does not support this, one can just
make an ISO image from the disk, and use FC (or diff).

Sonic Record Now and some other programs that I have used include some
identifying information in the .ISO file. Perhaps another format
would give the same result every time I made an image, but can't
switch from .ISO. In particular, making an ISO file from the same
real or virtual CD gives different results each time, so a simple
compare doesn't do the job. (The differences may be as little as
the equivalent of:
"This ISO image was made at ...."
but the file compare programs that I use stop on the first
difference for binary files. If there is only a single difference
in the ISO files I could look around for other compare programs.

Hope this helps,
Ilya

Old February 19th 10, 09:29 PM posted to alt.comp.freeware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,24hoursupport.helpdesk,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,alt.comp.periphs.cdr
Ilya Zakharevich

wrote in part:

What I am looking for is a utility that can compare an ISO image file
(xyz.ISO) to a burned CD/DVD based on the same ISO image file.

"A burned CD/DVD" *is* a file. At least on reasonable OSes. E.g.,
did you try \\.\M: ? If Windows does not support this, one can just
make an ISO image from the disk, and use FC (or diff).

Sonic Record Now and some other programs that I have used include some
identifying information in the .ISO file. Perhaps another format
would give the same result every time I made an image, but can't
switch from .ISO.

I have no clue what you are talking about.

In particular, making an ISO file from the same
real or virtual CD gives different results each time

Then the probrams you use are broken. ISO image is just a copy of the
DVD (or of "the 2048-sectors" of CD). All copies should be the same.
(And I expect that \\.M: would be always the same as well...)

Hope this helps,
Ilya
Old February 20th 10, 01:16 AM posted to alt.comp.freeware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,24hoursupport.helpdesk,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,alt.comp.periphs.cdr
thanatoid

Greegor wrote in

oups.com:

SNIP

What's your favorite CD burner software?
After griping about various others, shouldn't you say?

Sorry, but I rarely get to say BOTH in one reply:

Learn to SNIP and learn to read. I state clearly what I use in
what you did not bother snipping - but /presumably/ did "sort
of" read.

Old February 22nd 10, 07:57 PM posted to alt.comp.freeware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,24hoursupport.helpdesk,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,alt.comp.periphs.cdr
Mark F[_2_]

wrote in part:

What I am looking for is a utility that can compare an ISO image file
(xyz.ISO) to a burned CD/DVD based on the same ISO image file.

"A burned CD/DVD" *is* a file. At least on reasonable OSes. E.g.,
did you try \\.\M: ? If Windows does not support this, one can just
make an ISO image from the disk, and use FC (or diff).

Sonic Record Now and some other programs that I have used include some
identifying information in the .ISO file. Perhaps another format
would give the same result every time I made an image, but can't

Oops: I left out a word. the above should say "but I can't"
switch from .ISO.

I have no clue what you are talking about.

"Sonic Record Now! DELUXE Build 730B75D" will save as .ISO or .GI;
other programs that I have support additional image types.
However, for interchange purposes I have to use only .ISO, even though
it varies from run to run with the programs that I have.

Note that I don't know if the Sonic or other programs that I have,
including MagicISO that I have are actually making .ISO files that
meet the standards - only that the created .ISO files varied from run
to run when I tried things before 2008. I tried Sonic Record Now
with one CD today and the .ISO file was the same for both runs,
so either the differences I saw in the past were not in header/trailer
identification information in the ISO files or patches that I
applied in the last few years fixed the problem.

Can you point me at a definition of CDROM .ISO files?
I found:

http://www.ecma-international.org/pu...T/Ecma-119.pdf
(1987 "reprinted" in 1998) which is the standard for the on-CD data,
but I couldn't find a standard for ".ISO" files, so I don't know if
are actually forbidden to have identifying information.