DVD Dual Layer Compatibility and Drives

Old January 9th 05, 02:35 AM
Jim Higgins

Default DVD Dual Layer Compatibility and Drives

Is the compatibility of DVD dual layer disks sufficient now to consistently
read disks made on one machine to be read on another now? I am primarily
interested in data archiving and second ( a distant second) in video/music.

Has anyone used the Sony dual-layer drives and what have your experiences
been?

--
"You can have peace or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both
at once."

Old January 9th 05, 03:00 AM
Dan G

DVD-DL is generally compatible with any drive as long as it can read DL and
the disc is set to DVD-ROM booktype. It's also advisable to use only
Verbatim DL media.
That said, I doubt that DL is anything close to a secure and cost-effective
method of archiving data. The cost per GB is well in excess of a hard drive.
No optical disc is suitable for long term storage unless it's backed up with
duplication, which again makes DL way too expensive. If you have that much
data to store, just go get a couple hard drives on sale. Put them in cheap
external cases and leave them unplugged except when in use.

Sony doesn't make drives, LiteOn makes most of them for Sony, and no they
are not very good, compared to NEC, Pioneer and Benq.

Old January 9th 05, 03:34 AM
MCheu

On Sat, 8 Jan 2005 20:35:22 -0500, "Jim Higgins"
wrote:

Is the compatibility of DVD dual layer disks sufficient now to consistently
read disks made on one machine to be read on another now? I am primarily
interested in data archiving and second ( a distant second) in video/music.

Has anyone used the Sony dual-layer drives and what have your experiences
been?

Data reading hasn't been a problem as far as I know. The only issues
have been with DVD players when movies are burned onto those discs.

MCheu

Dual layer, DVD/CD+/-R/W/RAM, pref.external, does it exist yet? MCheu General 4 January 31st 05 02:57 AM
DVD+R DL Media Compatibility NBK Cdr 1 July 2nd 04 12:23 PM
Best DVD format for the NEC 2510 DVD-Burner? Gameface General 18 June 14th 04 03:49 AM