Packet Writing Software, Location of udf reader file driver for different O.S.

Old January 18th 04, 08:52 PM
Bun Mui

Default Packet Writing Software, Location of udf reader file driver for different O.S.

I am using abCd (v 1.3) packet writing software on my Windows 98
computer,
but I have other computers a lap top with Direct Cd 5 and windows Pro.
2000
and Windows Xp. as other computers.
I would like to be able to write and read on all of the computers and
operating systems. What should I do?
I think abCd software can't be used on Windows Pro 2000 and Windows XP
right?

I would like to use a Packet type software which is capable of writing
and reading on all operating systems. Are there any freeware packet
writing softwares around which I could use on all operating systems?
If so where could I download them?

And in regards to udf file? If you have any udf reader file in
C;\windows\system\iosusbsys it should be able to read all types of
packet writing software right?

What about Windows Xp and 2000 Pro. and Me?
What direectory is the udf file located?

BTW can one make a diskcopy of an already formatted cd-rw disk with
data on it
and use it. It would be quicker then trying to format a new disk and
putting the same data in it, right? By doing so I will still be able
to use it like the original disk. Can delete files and get back more
disk space right?

BTW does Prassi still support abCd packet writing software.
Do they have it for Prassi DVD software for DVD-RW disks?

I understand Veritas Software company(sp.?) suppose to take over
Prassi?
Where are all the download upgrades for Prassi like Primo Cd and abCd
softwares
where we can we download? They don't even give any links on their site
as to
where one can download? What type of support is this?

Thanks.

Bun Mui
Old January 19th 04, 06:41 AM
Mike Richter

Bun Mui wrote:
[...]

Well, you've strung up a slew of questions; I'll try to answer those I
can but you'll need help from someone who knows more about abCD than I do.

In a perfect world, all packet software would comply with the
specification and any reader would read the results of any writer.
Similarly, you could begin a session with one program and continue it
with another.

In the real world, most packet-writing software historically has not
followed the spec and therefore has been inconsistent with some or all
of the others. When I used UDF, I ran DirectCD; one of its virtues was
that it was compliant with the spec.

The UDF reader on any fixed-length packet disc formatted with a recent
version of DCD will read most discs written in fixed-length packets or
variable-length closed to UDF 1.5. However, you can install only one UDF
system on any one OS, so you cannot use it on your abCD system.

AFAIK, current DCD is interoperable not only among Windows OSs but also
with a variety of Mac OSs.

UDF is not a file but a filesystem. It operates by extending the native
filesystem of the OS. It is not a file but a collection of files
installed at boot; that's why you cannot have two UDF products in one OS.

There is software which will duplicate a UDF disc. Because of the fault
handling of the fixed-length format, the result may be useless or worse
- and there will be no warning if it is.

Please read the basics of UDF in one of the usual references: the CD-R
FAQ or the primer at my WWW site.

Mike
--

http://www.mrichter.com/

Old January 19th 04, 08:34 AM
smh

Mike Richter, were you born with
"Scam Artist" emblazoned on your face?
--------------------------------------

http://groups.google.com/groups?selm...mindspring.com
(Messages 10, 12 -- 34, 54 -- 69)

( No pipsqueaks have been able to prove ANY of the above is a libel )
( -- despite Mikey's supposed to have proof of misquotes! )

Mike Richter (Friggin' ****) wrote:

In the real world, most packet-writing software historically has not
followed the spec and therefore has been inconsistent with some or all
of the others. When I used UDF, I ran DirectCD; one of its virtues was
that it was compliant with the spec.

How does DirectCD comply with the faulty format (spec), Mikey?

Subject: Packet writing and XP Home

Mike Richter (Friggin' Scum) wrote (1/5/04):

There is a UDF standard. At least until recently...
only Roxio was fully compliant with it.

How does DirectCD comply with the faulty format (standard), Mikey?

From: smh
Subject: UDF/Packet Writing Compatibility:
Date: 3/6/03

Mike Richter (Slimy Scum) wrote:

As you now know, there is a standard for UDF, but
not all "packet writing" software complies with it.

How do softwares comply with the 'faulty' format, Mikey?

"the fault is not with the software but with the format"

Old January 19th 04, 09:01 AM
smh

Mike Richter, were you born with
"Scam Artist" emblazoned on your face?
--------------------------------------

http://groups.google.com/groups?selm...mindspring.com
(Messages 10, 12 -- 34, 54 -- 69)

( No pipsqueaks have been able to prove ANY of the above is a libel )
( -- despite Mikey's supposed to have proof of misquotes! )

Mike Richter (Friggin' Scum) wrote:

In the real world, most packet-writing software historically has not
followed the spec and therefore has been inconsistent with some or all
of the others. When I used UDF, I ran DirectCD; one of its virtues was
that it was compliant with the spec.

Is this how DirectCD comply with the spec, Mikey?

Mike Richter (Friggin' Scum) wrote (1/5/04):

There is a UDF standard.

At least until recently...
only Roxio was fully compliant with it.

Is this what you get after DirectCD *fully* complied with the UDF
standard, Mikey?

======================
From: Mike Richter (Lying Scum)
Subject: DirectCD on a different computer won't recognize CD
Date: 3/2/03

S.V. Proff wrote:

I have Direct CD both at home and work. The other day I
brought home an "open" CD from work. I discovered that
my CDR at home won't recognize the CD automatically.

If the two DCD versions are quite different, that may be enough.
======================

No kidding! DirectCD's are NOT compatible even to themselves
despite they are *fully* compliant with the udf standard!

------------------------
No friggin' ****, Mikey!
------------------------

============================
"S.V. Proff" wrote (3/4/03):

I have version 5.20 at work and 5.01 at home of the Roxio
project manager. I guess they must not be compatible...

5.20 and 5.01 ???!!!

Guess that's what Mikey Richter meant by "if two DCD versions
are quite different".

That's some "quite different" for sure!
============================

Old January 20th 04, 02:16 AM
smh

Mike Richter, were you born with
"Scam Artist" emblazoned on your face?
--------------------------------------

http://groups.google.com/groups?selm...mindspring.com
(Messages 10, 12 -- 34, 54 -- 69)

( No pipsqueaks have been able to prove ANY of the above is a libel )
( -- despite Mikey's supposed to have proof of misquotes! )

Mike Richter (Friggin' Scum) wrote:

In the real world, most packet-writing software historically has not
followed the spec and therefore has been inconsistent with some or all
of the others. When I used UDF, I ran DirectCD; one of its virtues was
that it was compliant with the spec.

Is that why cRoxio fired the ENTIRE DirectCD development team in 2001 -
as a reward for making the spec compliant software?

======================
From: Adrian Miller (ex-Roxio)
Date: 1/8/02

Roxio also fired
the entire DCD development team.
======================
Old January 19th 04, 08:27 AM
smh

Mike Richter, were you born with
"Scam Artist" emblazoned on your face?
--------------------------------------

http://groups.google.com/groups?selm...mindspring.com
(Messages 10, 12 -- 34, 54 -- 69)

Your best bet is Sonic/Veritas/Prassi DLA:
http://sonic.com/products/dla/default.asp
(Recommend to reformat all discs with DLA.)
(My guess is that DLA is derived from abCD.)

You shouldn't be needing any udf reader on win2k/xp as they have
built-in support for udf 1.50. On win9x, udf reader should be in
\system\iosubsys folder.

http://www.dvdrhelp.com/forum/archive/t180047.html
http://www.prassieurope.com/ (Now on Veritas server)