Presario 5834: Bizzare Problem

Old March 22nd 05, 12:00 PM
Dave

Default Presario 5834: Bizzare Problem

I have a Presario 5834 which I got free from a friend who no longer had
use for it. It came with two "Quick Restore" disks and some MS Encarta
encyclopedia disks. Win98 SE.

Apparently, when the system was brand new, it also came with MS Office
2000 disks. The friend did not give me the Office disks with the system,
however, when I originally reinstalled the OS from the restore disks,
short-cut icons were placed in various places (including the main START
menu bar) for the Office program. Mouse clicking any of these icons
brought up a window asking for the installation disks to be inserted in
the CD drive so installation could occur. Since I didn't have the disks, I
always hit "Cancel" an aborted installation. I deleted all the Office
short-cut icons to get rid of any prompting for the installation disks not
in my possession.

Now, however, various other programs ask for these disks during normal
operations. MS OutLook Express is one example. certain buttons in the
program open the "Insert Disks" prompt window asking for the Office disks.
Also MS Word 97 (installed this in lieu of Office 2000) asks for them if I
try to click on a document icon for a Word.doc.

It is very annoying as the "Cancel" install of Office 2000 sometimes takes
up to six times cancelling the operation before the system decides to quit
prompting for the install disks.

Does anybody have any ideas about how fo fix this so I will never be
prompted for the Office install disks ever again?
Thanks for any info.
Dave