question on compaq cd disk

Old March 21st 05, 04:20 AM
deltabob

Default question on compaq cd disk

Neighbor lady gave me her old compaq presario 2286 computer
which had win 98 installed on it.She also gave me a box of goodies.
In the box was a "compaq cd for microsoft windows 98 second edition"
operating system, still in a sealed enevlope. My thought was to do a
new install and put win 98 sc on the computer.
Here is what I did to install win98 sc.
1. made a boot disk with win98
2. formated the hd and partitation it as "c" drive
3. put the cd in the cd drive
4. typed in "setup.exe" , the light on the cd drive
blinks once and did not install win98 sc.
I know that the "quick restore" cd (that was in the box) will only
restore on the persarino 2286.

I have 2 questions:
1. does that mean that the win98 sc cd is only going to install on
another compaq computer, what ever that model is?
2. If so, is there a way to work around and install win98 sc
on this persario 2286?

Any help or ideas will be appreciated.

deltabob
Old March 21st 05, 12:07 PM
HH

The CD likely was a 98SE UPGRADE CD, not a stand alone full install. Try
running the Quick Restore to reinstall 98, then, when that completes, Put
the SE upgrade CD in the drive. It should auto-load and ask if you wishg to
upgrade to 98SE.

HH

Old March 21st 05, 03:43 PM
deltabob

Thanks hh for quick responce.

Yes, I've did a quick restore. Here
are the results trying to install win98 se:
1. does a auto load and detect there is a earlier version win98
2. endup with a win98 se install dialog box
3. click on add/remove same thing happends, cd light
blinks once and does not install
4. there are 3 other choices and when I click them they
seem to start

My thinking is setup.exe must be looking for something
on the hd.

Any more ideas out there will be appreciated.

deltabob

On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 07:07:11 -0500, "HH" wrote:

The CD likely was a 98SE UPGRADE CD, not a stand alone full install. Try
running the Quick Restore to reinstall 98, then, when that completes, Put
the SE upgrade CD in the drive. It should auto-load and ask if you wishg to
upgrade to 98SE.

HH

.. .

Old March 22nd 05, 01:14 PM
Quaoar

"deltabob" wrote in message

[...]

Boot with the upgrade CD.

FS PRINTER PARTS trays fusers drums printheads -- oki fujitsu hp genicom epson ibm dec jetdirect laserjet lexnmark qms okidata ml320 mannesmann tally printonix tektronix qms toshiba zebra otc ibm lexmark intermec dec compaq montreal canada toronto o [email protected] Printers 1 March 15th 05 05:50 AM
Compaq FAQ HH Compaq Computers 0 November 27th 04 11:50 AM
Compaq Sp700: ---> 68 PIN SCSI DISK <---- Issue with Installation of... JPRW Compaq Computers 3 October 12th 04 05:09 AM
Compaq Sp700: ---> 68 PIN SCSI DISK <---- Issue with Installation of... JPRW Compaq Servers 3 October 12th 04 05:09 AM
Compaq FAQ **Pls read before posting a question** HH Compaq Computers 0 May 1st 04 11:28 AM