Compaq 3000R not booting

Old February 26th 05, 01:04 PM
Michael Calwell

Default Compaq 3000R not booting

Hi Folks,

Am reaquainting myself with compaq servers after some years - need some
help!

Have picked up a compaq 3000R 450Mhz server with twin 9.1 GB disks. It
is in an unknown state - though I was told by the seller that it used to
run FreeBSD.

When I boots It spends five mins in the "Option Roms" section, trying to
initialize the Raid controller. It fails with a "1783-Slot 8 Array
controller failure".

The two disks are in the bottom left and bottom right bays respectively.

The daughterboard is in slot 8 - all the lights are on after boot. When
the machine boots, the lights on the left disk flash once, and then
there is no further activity.

The machine moves to the F1 prompt stage - after that, the usual
non-system disk errors.

I have a copy of Smartstart 5.5, but does not boot to that stage.

Have I missed anything or is there anything I could check?

Thanks in advance.

Michael Calwell

Old February 26th 05, 02:23 PM
NuTCrAcKeR

start with a system erase. put the SS CD into another system, and use the
diskette buiilder to make the disk. boot from that floppy and wipe the
config. It could be that the array controller is dead. Be prepared to ebay
another one. I would buy nothing older than an SA3200 .

- LC

Old February 26th 05, 03:02 PM
Michael Calwell

NuTCrAcKeR wrote:
start with a system erase. put the SS CD into another system, and use the
diskette buiilder to make the disk. boot from that floppy and wipe the
config. It could be that the array controller is dead. Be prepared to ebay
another one. I would buy nothing older than an SA3200 .

Hi Nutcracker,

I have managed to get to Smartstart, I am running the manual config
setup. At "Loading Plug & Play Boards" it just displays the activity
logo and does nothing else.

I will try and find a system erase floppy I can create with Linux (no
windows machines here), or mount the SS cd and use that.

Thanks for your advice.

Michael

Old February 26th 05, 07:47 PM
Aidan Grey

Try to boot your machine without the RAID controller present. If it boots
then,
you probably have a bad RAID card.

Aidan Grey

Old February 27th 05, 05:25 PM
Kevin Childers

Have you tried posting your query to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.server?

KC

Compaq FAQ HH Compaq Computers 0 October 10th 04 12:49 PM
Compaq FAQ HH Compaq Computers 0 September 23rd 04 12:21 PM
Compaq FAQ HH Compaq Computers 0 July 31st 04 02:23 PM
Compaq FAQ HH Compaq Computers 0 July 3rd 04 04:25 AM
Compaq ready to go Jazzy Ban Compaq Computers 0 October 14th 03 02:54 PM