PVR and DVD Burning with an All In Wonder

Old August 24th 03, 03:09 AM
netwolf68

Default PVR and DVD Burning with an All In Wonder

Recently my geForce4 went bad and much to my chagrin, I found out that the
"lifetime warranty" on it is only valid with the original reciept, which I
cannot find. Looks like it's time to buy a new video card.

I do play my fair share of games, but am no means obsessed with maxing out
my frame rates. Besides from what I've read, the radeo 9700 and 9800
chipsets are just as good if not better than the geForce4 anyhow.

The PVR capabilities on the All In Wonder versions of these cards interests
me a lot though. What I would like to do is to record TV shows and be able
to burn them to DVD. I would also like to use this card to convert a bunch
of stuff I have on VHS (taped sporting events mostly) to DVD as well.

If anyone has done this with either the 9700, 9700 Pro, 9800, or 9800 Pro
versions of the All In Wonder, I would appreciate your input.

Thanks!

Old August 24th 03, 03:51 AM
Thomas A. Horsley

The PVR capabilities on the All In Wonder versions of these cards interests
me a lot though. What I would like to do is to record TV shows and be able
to burn them to DVD. I would also like to use this card to convert a bunch
of stuff I have on VHS (taped sporting events mostly) to DVD as well.

Yea, it interested me too. Unfortunately the advertised features never
actually all work at the same time (it is like wack-a-mole, each release of
drivers of MMC breaks as much or more as it fixes), and the recorded image
quality is pretty marginal. I finally gave up on my AIW Radeon ever
performing as originally advertised and now own a stand-alone box - the
Panasonic DMR-E80H which can record to its hard disk, or DVD-RAM, or DVD-R
and it has vastly superior recording quality (of course, it is also more
expensive than an AIW card, but unlike the AIW it performs up to advertised
specs).

The graphics part of the Radeon has always worked pretty well for me,
but the tuner/capture part has always been disappointing.

I just bought a new Radeon for a computer upgrade, but not an AIW
version, one of those was enough :-).
--
== The *Best* political site URL:http://www.vote-smart.org/ ==+

email: icbm: Delray Beach, FL |
URL:http://home.att.net/~Tom.Horsley Free Software and Politics ==+
Old August 24th 03, 05:38 AM
James Hill

"netwolf68" wrote in message
[...]

I have an AIW 9000 Pro which I got for watching & recording TV. The recorded
video is just fair. I like it's TV features. In another machine, I have a
Navis Pro .It has an onboard tuner. It records and captures the best video
I've seen. Far superior to any other card in its price range and many above
its price range.
The software is a little quirky, but the video this card produces is so
good, I overlook its quirks. It's not a video card, so you'd have to buy one
separately.

http://www.bernclare.com/navispro.htm

You can email or call this company and they will discuss the card with you.
They were forthcoming about the cards negatives. You should definitely check
this card out.

Old August 25th 03, 03:25 PM
James Hill

"Paul Murphy" wrote in message

"James Hill" wrote in message

[snipped]

Pity they only make an NTSC version, looks like every country other than
America, Canada or Japan is out of luck (maybe 1 or 2 others as well but
there are far more countries using PAL or SECAM).

Paul

Yeah, I forgot about that. Here is a link to another Navis card. I can't
vouch for this one, though. It doesn't have a tuner, but will record from a
separate tuner and supports time-shifting. It only supports up to 8mbits.

http://www.pentamedia.com/english/products/navis.htm

Old August 29th 03, 12:54 AM
netwolf68

Right now, I also have 512MB RAM, but only have an Athlon XP 2000+ (1.67
GHz). Do you think that's close enough?

"fasdfa" wrote in message
"netwolf68" wrote in
:

[...]

I have the AIW 9700 Pro. I use it extensively to convert VHS to DVD and

capture DVD quality video.

I'm running a P4 2.4ghz with 512megs RAM. Your computer must be fast to
get the highest quality video capture.