A computer components & hardware forum. HardwareBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » HardwareBanter forum » Motherboards » Asus Motherboards
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

XP3200+ / A7N8X Deluxe Problems



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old August 30th 03, 05:16 PM
Jason
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default XP3200+ / A7N8X Deluxe Problems

Hi all!

Just built ny new computer for university, and im having a few problems.
Specs are as follows:

AMD Athlon XP 3200+ with SLK800 HS and 35cfm fan @2.19GHz
Asus A7N8X Deluxe PCB2.0 with build 1006 bios
Corsair XMS PC3200 2x512MB TwinX (not LLPT)
HIS Excalibur Radeon 9800 Pro 128mb
Audigy 2 Platinum ex
Adaptec AHA2940U2W SCSI host adapter
IBM Ultrastar 36Z15 15Kr 18.6GB
Quantum Atlas 10K III 73GB
Plextor Plexwiter Premium

I set everything up, and installed a fresh copy of XP Professional, and then
downloaded and installed all the latest drivers for my hardware. There were
no major teething problems initially, but as i begun to install software and
try to use the computer I noticed some very strange things happening:
1) CRC errors on disk reads. Both the hard drives and the SCSI controller
have been used in my old system as the OS and extra hard drives with no
problems at all. The errors happen randomly, along with file corruption
notices. However, if you retry the operation then sometimes it works. Wierd.
2) Very slow installs. When I try to install some games, such as SOF2, the
install process is incredibly slow. HDD activity is low, the CD light is on
continuously, and the install goes at a snails pace. The load on the cpu is
about 2%, and the ram / pagefile are 850mb free and 12mb used. It's as if
the CD is running at 1x just to spite me - the noise from it is certainly
not very much.
3) Slowdowns like you used to get in win98 when the system runs out of ram
and gets locked in pagefile reads/writes. It happens ocasionally and
completely randomly.
I get plenty of general glitches too, like services not starting, errors in
programs etc... wierd stuff.

Any ideas?

Jason



  #2  
Old August 30th 03, 05:58 PM
Doughnut
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default

So the A7N8X is the version 2 and officially supports 200fsb cpu's? Just
asking cos my mates A7N8X Deluxe is the nforce 2 chipset and not the Ultra
400 which does support the 200fsb cpu's.

doughnut


"Jason" wrote in message
...
Hi all!

Just built ny new computer for university, and im having a few problems.
Specs are as follows:

AMD Athlon XP 3200+ with SLK800 HS and 35cfm fan @2.19GHz
Asus A7N8X Deluxe PCB2.0 with build 1006 bios
Corsair XMS PC3200 2x512MB TwinX (not LLPT)
HIS Excalibur Radeon 9800 Pro 128mb
Audigy 2 Platinum ex
Adaptec AHA2940U2W SCSI host adapter
IBM Ultrastar 36Z15 15Kr 18.6GB
Quantum Atlas 10K III 73GB
Plextor Plexwiter Premium

I set everything up, and installed a fresh copy of XP Professional, and

then
downloaded and installed all the latest drivers for my hardware. There

were
no major teething problems initially, but as i begun to install software

and
try to use the computer I noticed some very strange things happening:
1) CRC errors on disk reads. Both the hard drives and the SCSI controller
have been used in my old system as the OS and extra hard drives with no
problems at all. The errors happen randomly, along with file corruption
notices. However, if you retry the operation then sometimes it works.

Wierd.
2) Very slow installs. When I try to install some games, such as SOF2, the
install process is incredibly slow. HDD activity is low, the CD light is

on
continuously, and the install goes at a snails pace. The load on the cpu

is
about 2%, and the ram / pagefile are 850mb free and 12mb used. It's as if
the CD is running at 1x just to spite me - the noise from it is certainly
not very much.
3) Slowdowns like you used to get in win98 when the system runs out of ram
and gets locked in pagefile reads/writes. It happens ocasionally and
completely randomly.
I get plenty of general glitches too, like services not starting, errors

in
programs etc... wierd stuff.

Any ideas?

Jason





  #3  
Old August 30th 03, 06:43 PM
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default

"Doughnut" wrote:
So the A7N8X is the version 2 and officially supports 200fsb cpu's? Just
asking cos my mates A7N8X Deluxe is the nforce 2 chipset and not the
Ultra 400 which does support the 200fsb cpu's.

doughnut

"Jason" wrote in message
...
Hi all!

Just built ny new computer for university, and im having a few
problems. Specs are as follows:

AMD Athlon XP 3200+ with SLK800 HS and 35cfm fan @2.19GHz
Asus A7N8X Deluxe PCB2.0 with build 1006 bios
Corsair XMS PC3200 2x512MB TwinX (not LLPT)
HIS Excalibur Radeon 9800 Pro 128mb
Audigy 2 Platinum ex
Adaptec AHA2940U2W SCSI host adapter
IBM Ultrastar 36Z15 15Kr 18.6GB
Quantum Atlas 10K III 73GB
Plextor Plexwiter Premium

I set everything up, and installed a fresh copy of XP Professional, and

then
downloaded and installed all the latest drivers for my hardware. There

were
no major teething problems initially, but as i begun to install
software

and
try to use the computer I noticed some very strange things happening:
1) CRC errors on disk reads. Both the hard drives and the SCSI
controller have been used in my old system as the OS and extra hard
drives with no problems at all. The errors happen randomly, along with
file corruption notices. However, if you retry the operation then
sometimes it works.

Wierd.
2) Very slow installs. When I try to install some games, such as SOF2,
the install process is incredibly slow. HDD activity is low, the CD
light is

on
continuously, and the install goes at a snails pace. The load on the
cpu

is
about 2%, and the ram / pagefile are 850mb free and 12mb used. It's as
if the CD is running at 1x just to spite me - the noise from it is
certainly not very much.
3) Slowdowns like you used to get in win98 when the system runs out of
ram and gets locked in pagefile reads/writes. It happens ocasionally
and completely randomly.
I get plenty of general glitches too, like services not starting,
errors

in
programs etc... wierd stuff.

Any ideas?

Jason




I am using an XP 3200+ 400 fsb CPU with my A7N8X-DLX and it works perfect.
The non-deluxe model also supports 400 fsb CPU.

--
..
  #4  
Old August 30th 03, 08:47 PM
Artur Butryn
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default

I had similar problem. My registry file was getting corrupted and once a
week I had to restore the system from backup. Also copying large files and
than comparing them showed that there were differences, usually it was just
one or two bytes in 700Mb file. I exchanged MB, CPU and even the PS but
problem was bad memory module! I replaced it an now it works just fine 4
weeks already.

Artur


1) CRC errors on disk reads. Both the hard drives and the SCSI controller
have been used in my old system as the OS and extra hard drives with no
problems at all. The errors happen randomly, along with file corruption
notices. However, if you retry the operation then sometimes it works.

Wierd.


  #5  
Old August 30th 03, 11:33 PM
i'm_tired
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Doughnut wrote:
So the A7N8X is the version 2 and officially supports 200fsb cpu's?
Just asking cos my mates A7N8X Deluxe is the nforce 2 chipset and not
the Ultra 400 which does support the 200fsb cpu's.


Even the Rev 1.4 now supports 200 mhz FSB (and higher) now. It happened two
or three BIOS revisions ago for Asus, anyway.


  #6  
Old August 30th 03, 11:34 PM
Jason
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Interesting what you say about bad memory... I adjusted the latencies in the
bios to the ones on the manufacturers spreadsheet and it made only a very
little difference. I have no other PC3200 RAM that I can try the computer
with... do you think i should exchange the ram for some new sticks?

Jason
"Artur Butryn" wrote in message
...
I had similar problem. My registry file was getting corrupted and once a
week I had to restore the system from backup. Also copying large files and
than comparing them showed that there were differences, usually it was

just
one or two bytes in 700Mb file. I exchanged MB, CPU and even the PS but
problem was bad memory module! I replaced it an now it works just fine 4
weeks already.

Artur


1) CRC errors on disk reads. Both the hard drives and the SCSI

controller
have been used in my old system as the OS and extra hard drives with no
problems at all. The errors happen randomly, along with file corruption
notices. However, if you retry the operation then sometimes it works.

Wierd.




  #7  
Old August 30th 03, 11:36 PM
Akvatoid
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default

you can get my revision 1.04 up to 230mhz


  #8  
Old August 31st 03, 12:45 AM
JCM
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default

If you are using any form of cooling software that invokes the primary
cooling bit for the A7N8X-Deluxe, you will likely experience disk
corruption.

Jeff M.

Akvatoid wrote:
you can get my revision 1.04 up to 230mhz



  #9  
Old August 31st 03, 01:06 AM
AJ
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default



Doughnut wrote:
So the A7N8X is the version 2 and officially supports 200fsb cpu's?
Just asking cos my mates A7N8X Deluxe is the nforce 2 chipset and not
the Ultra 400 which does support the 200fsb cpu's.


The option is in the BIOS he just has to dig a little.

Even the Rev 1.4 now supports 200 mhz FSB (and higher) now. It happened two
or three BIOS revisions ago for Asus, anyway.

I have the 2.0 DLX, BIOS 1003. I'm running a 2500+ at 400FSB giving me
a 3200+. Win98SE runs rock solid 24/7 and never gets above 44C.
------------
When your PC gives a little they give a lot.
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/disco
  #10  
Old August 31st 03, 01:20 AM
foamy
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default

In article ,
AJ wrote:

I have the 2.0 DLX, BIOS 1003. I'm running a 2500+ at 400FSB giving me
a 3200+. Win98SE runs rock solid 24/7 and never gets above 44C.



When you start up does it say " memory frequency is @ 200 mhz
in dual channel mode " ?

I've been trying to get mine to run @ 400 but I'm so clueless about the
bios settings, and I've heard mention of this gets doubled and that.....
I'm baffled.

Does anyone have a site which walks you through the bios, explaining
and suggesting settings ? The manual is useless to me.

Jim
 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Asus A7N8X Deluxe - what problems? Aradur Homebuilt PC's 3 February 11th 04 10:36 PM
A7N8X Deluxe based system running problems, advice needed Hazardz Homebuilt PC's 0 December 23rd 03 03:38 AM
XP3200+ / A7N8X Deluxe Problems Jason Overclocking AMD Processors 16 November 14th 03 01:11 AM
A7N8X Deluxe Problems Jason Overclocking AMD Processors 10 October 2nd 03 01:00 AM
A7n8x Deluxe Problems Mark Asus Motherboards 1 August 1st 03 04:08 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 01:06 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2022 HardwareBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.