Linux founder tells Intel to stop inventing 'magic instructions' and'start fixing real problems'

Old July 17th 20, 11:52 PM posted to alt.windows7.general,alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.sys.intel,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips
VanguardLH[_2_]

Default Linux founder tells Intel to stop inventing 'magic instructions' and 'start fixing real problems'

Andy Burns wrote:

VanguardLH wrote:

Where's the impetus to port if Steam's Proton (variant of WINE) along
with using proprietary video drivers for Linux (if available) lets
Windows-only games run on Linux?

Any benchmarks showing performance differences (FPS, CPU/core
frequencies, video quality, temperatures, etc) between a ported Windows
game (making it a native Linux game) versus using Steam Proton and
proprietary video Linux drivers?

Can't point you to a specific video, but I daresay Wendell has one that
covers it with a gaming-targeted distro.

https://www.youtube.com/c/TekLinux/videos

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZf2dik9DlM&t=1m4s
"We're still not at performance parity with Windows."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onOiOs-z0ws&t=10m22s
"Generally, the performance is a bit lower [on Linux] than the same
hardware on Windows."

Those videos were uploaded to YT back in mid-2018. Being a little bit
slower doesn't matter on a lot of games because not everyone plays
hyper-anxiety super-fast changing video games. Reminds me of Paul's
response: "Are we playing 'Soduko' yet?"

I feel we're delving too much into Linux in a newsgroup for Windows.
Linux is great for some things, not for everything. Same for Windows.
Same for Android. That's the nature of general purpose operating
systems.
Old July 18th 20, 12:13 AM posted to alt.windows7.general,alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.sys.intel,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips
J. P. Gilliver (John)[_3_]

On 2020-07-17 07:55, J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:
I know "could care less" is the US version of this expression, but
it's inaccurate. Think about it: if you could care less, that implies
that you do care a little - which is not what you mean; you actually
mean "couldn't*care*less".

Interesting, so the one with the double negative is the correct one. My
publik skool education really sucked.

Well, don't take my word for it: think about it. If you disagree with my
explanation, keep using the other one! I certainly don't claim to be
correct all the time.

Also interesting, in America we say "that horse is different
FROM that one". In the UK they say "that horse is different
TO that one". Or so the shows from the UK on Netflix use it.

Interesting: I always thought Brits argued about whether it was
"different to" or "different from", until a leftpondian said "different
than", then the Brits ganged up against that!
[]
One of my customers just hired a English grad. To make
small talk with her, I asked her for her take on the
Split Infinitive. I could tell she barely knew
what I was talking about. I quickly changed the
subject as I could tell it made her uncomfortable

(a) Grammar isn't _that_ much taught here either [not even in "grammar
schools", I think!], and (b) the split infinitive isn't actually wrong,
except in some grammar books that came out around the turn of the (last)
century - but those writing them didn't give any explanation _why_ they
considered it wrong.

My view is that it's best to avoid it if you can - but not to make
extremely clumsy circumstances in order to do so.

Of course, the most famous split infinitive was nicely parodied by
Douglas Adams, in (at least the original radio and TV versions of)
THHGTTG:

Far back in the mists of ancient time, in the great and glorious days of
the former Galactic Empire, life was wild, rich and largely tax free.

Mighty starships plied their way between exotic suns, seeking adventure
and reward amongst the furthest reaches of Galactic space. In those days
spirits were brave, the stakes were high, men were real men, women were
real women, and small furry creatures from Alpha Centauri were real
small furry creatures from Alpha Centauri. And all dared to brave
unknown terrors, to do mighty deeds, to boldly split infinitives that no
man had split before- and thus was the Empire forged.
--
J. P. Gilliver. UMRA: 1960/1985 MB++G()AL-IS-Ch++(p)Ar@T+H+Sh0!:`)DNAf

I hope you dream a pig.
Old July 18th 20, 12:15 AM posted to alt.windows7.general,alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.sys.intel,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips
J. P. Gilliver (John)[_3_]

On Fri, 17 Jul 2020 at 14:56:27, Char Jackson wrote:
On Fri, 17 Jul 2020 15:55:00 +0100, "J. P. Gilliver (John)"
wrote:

On Thu, 16 Jul 2020 at 22:35:33, T wrote:

[]
It is the apps the customer cares about. They could

couldn't

care less if they were run int Flying Zucchini OS, if
it ran their apps.

[]
I know "could care less" is the US version of this expression, but it's
inaccurate. Think about it: if you could care less, that implies that
you do care a little - which is not what you mean; you actually mean
"couldn't care less".

Please don't attribute that mangled expression to all of us over here.

Very sorry! Glad it's not universal in US. But I haven't seen it at all
used in UK.

Old July 18th 20, 01:10 AM posted to alt.windows7.general,alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.sys.intel,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips
VanguardLH[_2_]

"J. P. Gilliver (John)" wrote:

VanguardLH wrote:

I think we used interns for 6 months: the contract length. Never
again thereafter.

Why did you use them in the first place - was it because of some form of
state subsidy, of about that duration?

I wasn't in the decision loop. At a weekly status meeting, our manager
said, "Guess what?" followed by a groan. Whenever he said that, we'd
get quiet waiting for yet another edict from management.

Training (the same group that taught us) took care of classes,
instructional CDs, and documentation but QA did the progress monitoring
and tutoring to make sure the interns got up to speed in 2 weeks. We
stretched it to 3 weeks to also train them on our QA procedures. They
did okay during the training phase probably because it was similar to
school, but more accelerated, like a seminar. However, When they were
on their own to do the actual testing, and despite the retro tests were
complete (no decisions to make, and previously reviewed with feedback
from outside our group to make sure any tech could follow them), was
when they got, um, slow and "lost". We changed from weekly status
meetings to still doing those but with me going around to everyone (not
just interns) to get a daily status update to see who needed more help,
discover any snags, talk to the boss about possible resource
reallocation, or gauge the severity of peril to our testing schedule.

Maybe our expectation was too high. We had programmers that left
because they couldn't take the stress or didn't have the flair for
digging into a product to thoroughly test it. I got offered a
programming position but declined because it was too boring. We had
expection of getting and training new-hires, just as we were once, but
the interns just never became adept. Could be they knew they were going
back to just school and they'd be leaving us hence no motivation for
long-term motivation (although there was the prospect of getting hired
if they performed well). Would you keep going to the gym to stay
healthy if you knew you were getting killed in 6 months?
Old July 18th 20, 01:32 AM posted to alt.windows7.general,alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.sys.intel,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips
VanguardLH[_2_]

T wrote:

And college was no better.

I *hated* college. So freaking s-l-o-w. 3 months to read a book and
take a test. Really? C'mon, that's ridiculous. And the class didn't
even cover the entire textbook. Then they switched from quarters to
semesters, so even longer to be bored. I tested out of as many classes
as they permitted, and they wouldn't let me test out of more. They
claimed the classroom experience must also be included for a
well-rounded education. Yeah, sit in a chair and listen to a prof orate
a textbook, and his oration interrupted by stupid questions.
Old July 18th 20, 02:18 AM posted to alt.windows7.general,alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.sys.intel,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips
Brian Gregory[_2_]

On 17/07/2020 17:31, nospam wrote:
In article , J. P. Gilliver (John)
wrote:

I remember - I _think_ it was in the last decade, but it might have been
more - being startled when I spoke to a young computing graduate, to
find he'd never done any assembler. At that time, after my initial
double-take, I thought to myself: the field is big enough, that there'll
be plenty of room for him, and in practice he'll probably never have any
trouble finding interesting and well-paid employment.

there is no need for assembler anymore, except in very rare
circumstances.

On PCs maybe.

I bet some embedded stuff for ultra cheap mass market stuff is still
done in assember, or something only very slightly higher level.

--
Brian Gregory (in England).
Old July 18th 20, 02:21 AM posted to alt.windows7.general,alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.sys.intel,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips
J. P. Gilliver (John)[_3_]

On Fri, 17 Jul 2020 at 19:32:04, VanguardLH wrote:
T wrote:

And college was no better.

I *hated* college. So freaking s-l-o-w. 3 months to read a book and
take a test. Really? C'mon, that's ridiculous. And the class didn't
even cover the entire textbook. Then they switched from quarters to
semesters, so even longer to be bored. I tested out of as many classes
as they permitted, and they wouldn't let me test out of more. They
claimed the classroom experience must also be included for a

There is _something_ in that ...

well-rounded education. Yeah, sit in a chair and listen to a prof orate
a textbook, and his oration interrupted by stupid questions.

.... but you do remind me of the definition of a lecture as "a means for
the text to pass from the notes of the lecturer into the notes of the
students without passing through the minds of either".
--
J. P. Gilliver. UMRA: 1960/1985 MB++G()AL-IS-Ch++(p)Ar@T+H+Sh0!:`)DNAf

It's a beta orgy, not a product. - Mayayana in alt.windows7.general, 2018-3-8
Old July 18th 20, 02:23 AM posted to alt.windows7.general,alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.sys.intel,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips
Brian Gregory[_2_]

On 17/07/2020 20:49, T wrote:
Also interesting, in America we say "that horse is different
FROM that one".Â* In the UK they say "that horse is different
TO that one".Â* Or so the shows from the UK on Netflix use it.

Utter rubbish.
I've never said different to in my life.
Sounds daft.
Just as daft as saying I'm excited for Christmas.
It's supposed to be I'm excited about Christmas.

--
Brian Gregory (in England).
Old July 18th 20, 02:28 AM posted to alt.windows7.general,alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.sys.intel,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips
J. P. Gilliver (John)[_3_]

wrote:

I remember - I _think_ it was in the last decade, but it might have
been
more - being startled when I spoke to a young computing graduate, to
find he'd never done any assembler. At that time, after my initial
double-take, I thought to myself: the field is big enough, that there'll
be plenty of room for him, and in practice he'll probably never have any
trouble finding interesting and well-paid employment.

there is no need for assembler anymore, except in very rare
circumstances.

On PCs maybe.

I bet some embedded stuff for ultra cheap mass market stuff is still
done in assember, or something only very slightly higher level.

Yes. Define "need". Compact code is noticeably more efficient - so runs
faster. Yes, for a lot of things, the returns don't justify the effort -
for a lot of things that are only done once, or where speed doesn't
matter, or - these days - to _some_ extent where modern processor power
can hide the inefficiency of the code.

I suspect IrfanView, for example, is mostly coded in either assembler,
or at least quite low-level code (or just possibly using an excellent
optimiser - which are rare with ultra-high-level languages, such as
scripting interpreters).

Old July 18th 20, 02:34 AM posted to alt.windows7.general,alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.sys.intel,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips
J. P. Gilliver (John)[_3_]

On Sat, 18 Jul 2020 at 02:23:42, Brian Gregory
wrote:
On 17/07/2020 20:49, T wrote:
Also interesting, in America we say "that horse is different
FROM that one".* In the UK they say "that horse is different
TO that one".* Or so the shows from the UK on Netflix use it.

Utter rubbish.
I've never said different to in my life.
Sounds daft.
Just as daft as saying I'm excited for Christmas.
It's supposed to be I'm excited about Christmas.

surprised, hopefully, comprise/consist, myriad ...

much/many/less/few(er) ...

then there is the US/UK different use of small auxiliary words, above
all "up" ... but also of, with, to ...