socket A motherboard

Old January 4th 04, 04:16 PM
George

Default socket A motherboard

Hi,
I'm looking for an inexspensive socket A motherboard. It wont be used for
any overclocking and anything like that. Maybe something with a soft menu,
plug in the cards and go. Any ideas would be very helpful.

thank you

Old January 4th 04, 04:32 PM
Dave C.

"George" wrote in message
Hi,
I'm looking for an inexspensive socket A motherboard. It wont be used for
any overclocking and anything like that. Maybe something with a soft menu,
plug in the cards and go. Any ideas would be very helpful.

thank you

How about a EPOX EP-8K9A7I for ~$47 from www.mwave.com or an ECS L7S7A2 for
~$49 from www.newegg.com?

You might find slightly cheaper, but it will be tough to beat those prices
in a good name brand board with 333MHz memory support. -Dave

Old January 4th 04, 05:12 PM
Ruel Smith (Big Daddy)

on Sun January 4 2004 10:16 am, George decided to enlighten us with:

Hi,
I'm looking for an inexspensive socket A motherboard. It wont be used for
any overclocking and anything like that. Maybe something with a soft menu,
plug in the cards and go. Any ideas would be very helpful.

thank you

I've had experience with MSI, Gigabyte, and Asus and though they all are
good motherboard manufacturers, I recommend Asus wholeheartedly.

Check out this board:

http://usa.asus.com/products/mb/sock...0/overview.htm
http://www.ZipZoomFly.com/jsp/Produc...uctCode=240405

It should fit your bill nicely and it's cheap too. Nice price for Asus
quality.

--
Big Daddy Ruel Smith

My SuSE Linux machine uptime:
11:06am up 27 days 19:52, 3 users, load average: 0.20, 0.19, 0.18

My Windows XP machine uptime:
Something less...

Old January 4th 04, 09:02 PM
Jan Alter

I've built two systems with this board because the first pieced
together so easily. So did the second.

BIOSTAR nForce2 400 Chipset Motherboard for AMD Socket A CPU,
Model "M7NCD" -RETAIL
Specifications:
Supported CPU: Socket A AMD Athlon/Athlon XP/Duron Processors
Chipset: NVIDIA nForce2 SPP + MCP
FSB: 200/266/333/400
RAM: 2x DIMM for DDR400/333/266/200
IDE: 2x UltraDMA 33/66/100/133 up to 4 Devices
Slots: 1x AGP 4X/8X, 5x PCI
Ports: 2xCOM,1xLPT,6xUSB2.0(Rear 2),1xLAN,Audio Ports
Onboard Audio: Realtek ALC650 6-Channel AC97 CODEC
Onboard LAN: Realtek 8201BL 10/100Mbps

$53 includes shipping from New Egg.

--
Jan Alter

Old January 4th 04, 09:08 PM
Dave C.

"Jan Alter" wrote in message

I've built two systems with this board because the first

pieced
together so easily. So did the second.

BIOSTAR nForce2 400 Chipset Motherboard for AMD Socket A CPU,
Model "M7NCD" -RETAIL

Onboard LAN: Realtek 8201BL 10/100Mbps

$53 includes shipping from New Egg.

Now that's a good deal!!! Good catch. -Dave

Old January 5th 04, 06:29 AM
Ruel Smith (Big Daddy)

on Sun January 4 2004 3:02 pm, Jan Alter decided to enlighten us with:

I've built two systems with this board because the first
pieced
together so easily. So did the second.

BIOSTAR nForce2 400 Chipset Motherboard for AMD Socket A CPU,
Model "M7NCD" -RETAIL
Specifications:
Supported CPU: Socket A AMD Athlon/Athlon XP/Duron Processors
Chipset: NVIDIA nForce2 SPP + MCP
FSB: 200/266/333/400
RAM: 2x DIMM for DDR400/333/266/200
IDE: 2x UltraDMA 33/66/100/133 up to 4 Devices
Slots: 1x AGP 4X/8X, 5x PCI
Ports: 2xCOM,1xLPT,6xUSB2.0(Rear 2),1xLAN,Audio Ports
Onboard Audio: Realtek ALC650 6-Channel AC97 CODEC
Onboard LAN: Realtek 8201BL 10/100Mbps

$53 includes shipping from New Egg.

I'm not all that high on nVidia chipsets, personally. They can't even get
there video drivers right...

--
Big Daddy Ruel Smith

My SuSE Linux machine uptime:
12:28am up 28 days 9:14, 3 users, load average: 0.22, 0.15, 0.16

Old January 5th 04, 09:53 PM
S.Heenan

Ruel Smith (Big Daddy) wrote:
I'm not all that high on nVidia chipsets, personally. They can't even
get there video drivers right...

It's been well over a year since Nvidia had any problematic drivers, video
or otherwise. For the Socket A platform, the NForce2 (Ultra 400) chipset is
the way to go.

Old January 5th 04, 11:43 PM
Ruel Smith (Big Daddy)

on Mon January 5 2004 3:53 pm, S.Heenan decided to enlighten us with:

Ruel Smith (Big Daddy) wrote:
I'm not all that high on nVidia chipsets, personally. They can't even
get there video drivers right...

It's been well over a year since Nvidia had any problematic drivers, video
or otherwise. For the Socket A platform, the NForce2 (Ultra 400) chipset
is the way to go.

Yeah, right. They just had problems with a video driver they released. Some
people went back to the older one.

Personally, I'd go with Via. They too had chipset troubles in the past, but
they're very good about releasing updates to fix them.

--
Big Daddy Ruel Smith

My SuSE Linux machine uptime:
5:42pm up 29 days 2:27, 3 users, load average: 0.93, 0.91, 0.73